• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas V8 scratches AICS

cox308

BAMF
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2011
United States, Hawaii
Just an FYI. If you're planing on running the Atlas V8 with the AI spigot on your AICS just be aware that the knurling on the leg extension release will scuff up your chassis when stowed in the aft position. This is only with the V8. I believe the V7 and earlier didn't have the raised part on the leg extension release. A bit disappointing after spending $300+ on a bipod set up and have it scratch my $1200 chassis that it was designed to fit. Other than that I think it is a superb bipod. See pics.

added: This is just a month or so of having the bipod on.

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

Re: Atlas V8 scratches AICS

I'll give you $150 for the bipod and spigot right now! Seriously, thanks I'm getting this same setup and its good to know.

1.) Rotate the legs to rest forward instead of backwards.
2.) Its a gun...if its meant to get scratched up etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1.) Rotate the legs to rest forward instead of backwards.
2.) Its a gun...if its meant to get scratched up etc. </div></div>

Thanks for the pointers.

Planning on getting an Atlas, but also bought a used AI so the chassis was already scratched.

The original V8 with the regular collars will do it too.

It's no big deal. It's a field rifle, not a safe queen. Shoot your rifle off of a barricade of two, then tell me what it looks like.

I have a AE MkII with the same scuffs. Of course it also has scratches all down the barrel from a rusty fence, gouges in the skins from crap on my belt and more than one rash from dragging it across a rooftop. Shit happens. Doesn't affect the rifle's ability to put lead on target one single bit.

I've got three (early) Atlas V8....none of them have raised ends to the knurled leg release as shown in your picture.

They work in both positions just fine - on both AW, GAP M40A1 with forend rail and my railed AR!

If the scratches bother you, maybe try to find an older one or see if Kasey has any left?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your chasis cost $1200? </div></div>

Yes it did. Why is that surprising?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's no big deal. It's a field rifle, not a safe queen. Shoot your rifle off of a barricade of two, then tell me what it looks like.
</div></div>

My thoughts exactly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because if assuming it's a folder, you paid at least $100 too much. Better deals are to be had.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40...-All-Categories </div></div>

Those deals didn't look so good when I bought mine a year ago or so before the AX came out. Plus with the price of shipping to Hawaii its almost the same. So I decided to just spend a little more and support my local gun shop who has always been good to me.

COX380,
Good idea to support the local guy. I love walking into a store and they have exactly what I want on the shelf. As far as the scratches go, don't sweat it. They are not scratches they are beauty marks.

oh nooo, a scratch !seriously?! fold the legs forward then wrap rifle in bubble wrap and place in safe.if you plan on shooting much or hunting with it then your gonna get alot worse than that

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's no big deal. It's a field rifle, not a safe queen. Shoot your rifle off of a barricade of two, then tell me what it looks like.
</div></div>

My thoughts exactly. </div></div>

I agree Its not a huge deal and certainly not a deal breaker! I saw that It was going to scratch when stowed aft but decided to still stow them aft and deal with the scratches. Now that I'm selling my chassis I hope the guy buying it doesn't mind a few light scratches too. I was just pointing something out. There is certainly a lot of love for the Atlas on this website and I love it too. I just think this was something that was over looked and to say that guns are made to be scratched is not really an excuse to me. Not all guns are made to be scratched IMHO

If it's a concern, you can place two-three layers of duct tape right there or even use or add small strip of loop velcro for more padding. If you run the rail with either version of the quick release, it will have more stand off.

Yes the rifles get used and scratched in the field doing whatever, I think everyone understands this. I do but also don't believe in needless damage, which in my opinion this is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's no big deal. It's a field rifle, not a safe queen. Shoot your rifle off of a barricade of two, then tell me what it looks like.
</div></div>

My thoughts exactly. </div></div>

I agree Its not a huge deal and certainly not a deal breaker! I saw that It was going to scratch when stowed aft but decided to still stow them aft and deal with the scratches. Now that I'm selling my chassis I hope the guy buying it doesn't mind a few light scratches too. I was just pointing something out. There is certainly a lot of love for the Atlas on this website and I love it too. I just think this was something that was over looked and to say that guns are made to be scratched is not really an excuse to me. Not all guns are made to be scratched IMHO </div></div>

Yep I hear you, it's worth noting. And I bet Kasey will take a look at it too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your chasis cost $1200? </div></div>

Yes it did. Why is that surprising? </div></div>

Seems a bit steep, but hey, if you're local guy had it on shelf, I always say keep the dineros in town.

cox380, Thank you for giving the Atlas a try and I'm sorry for the disappointment.

(I believe these scratches were photographed and published on the WWW when we first released the spigot using the V7 Atlas.)

Adding the ridges, we increased the block thickness to compensate for the ridges, knowing they would still contact, in an effort to keep the apex of the bipod as high as possible.

This is the first time we have had anyone say anything about this, privately or publicly that I can remember. So I must conclude most shooters that run a AI/Atlas combo could care less about a scratch. And those that want pristine separate the two while casing them up.

I do not offer either as a excuse just my personal observation.

There is a solution, maybe we do that before next run....generational changes.

I do like Captain Moroni's as well

Thanks for the reply Kaesy. Like I said it's not a deal breaker or anything. I really love the set up and just thought its something worth mentioning. Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing the new generations.

I just picked up the spigot from BigDogSteel, Let you know how it work

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the knurling on the leg extension release will scuff up your chassis when stowed in the aft position.</div></div>
You should see what shooting a match or two will do to it
smile.gif

You bet fuck up all the new shit on your rifle proir to fielding. The hell with good design + it gives your new rifle that tacticool look before you even fire it.

After seeing this thread I went and pulled my last two BT10-NC's.
One I put a Larue quickmount on it and another waiting on a BT19 Spigot for my AI.
They are both V8's but the last (newest) has the ridge and the earlier V8 does not.
I know now to switch my Larue QM to it.
Good tip (can't have a scratched AI chassis ~ don't ya know
crazy.gif
).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should see what shooting a match or two will do to it
smile.gif
. </div></div>

Yeah...your GAP Crusader that you won a few matches with sure looks beat to hell! lol <span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold"></span>NOT</span>!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-size: 14pt">SPF to Fireball_McVein</span></span>

The rifle has ± 2,000 rounds through it and is in great condition. This is one, if not the most, accurate rifles I have ever owned. It is capable of sub 1/4 MOA performance and loves 175g SMKs. <span style="text-decoration: underline">This rifle has taken first and second place high team at the Carlos Hathcock match.</span>

adp1lk.jpg

</div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...682#Post2916682

I have to be honest, I'm not crazy about my Atlas digging into my AE Mk III. Yes, a rifle may get scratched at a match but this is a little different and I agree with the other poster about unnecessary damage, especially on a $4k rifle.

After noticing my rifle (not just the skins but the aluminum chassis) being scratched I started stowing the legs forward. Not ideal for carrying in an Eberlestock so I may try to get a sacrificial surface mounted up there to remedy this.

It's not permanently hurting your four thousand dollar rifle. New skins are $130. And they are plastic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with the other poster about unnecessary damage, especially on a $4k rifle.</div></div>

Sure.....and dammit, why did AI make the tolerances on my bolt such that the finish wears when I shoot the rifle...I mean come on now. That is just unnecessary damage. I paid $3K for the rifle, shouldn't it look new forever??? Having the finish wear off the locking lugs is just poor engineering.....right?

It's not "damage" it's a scuff. "Damage" is when it falls off a building, eats an IED, or gets mangled in the trunk during a traffic accident.

We call those little marks "character marks" because it means the rifle actually gets used.

For the guys who don't want your baby scratched, do like all the other cool guys do and get the biggest friggin' Pelican Case you can find. Take the rifle completely apart and wire cut the foam so that each component has it's own place and nothing ever rubs. That way when you get to the range you can play show and tell while you spend thirty minutes assembling the rifle. Make sure you are gentle when you assemble it. Shoot two or three rounds (because wear marks on the bolt will reduce the resale value) then wipe any wayward dust off (because it will scratch) and break the rifle down into it's hard cased cocoon.

Or you can be like the rest of us and say "fuck it, lets shoot!"

BTW, carrying your rifle in a Eberlestock pack will eventually scuff the skins too.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not permanently hurting your four thousand dollar rifle. New skins are $130. And they are plastic. </div></div>

Negative, it wears on the aluminum chassis as you can start to see in the OP's pic. The skins are sacrificial and that's fine, but the chassis is not.

I know, I know it's a rifle and it's meant to be used. Yes, I know that the Eberlestock will wear on some of the surfaces as I've already been down this road at the range and at PMG this year. I'm still not crazy about a knurled ring riding against the chassis. Eventually though and with enough use it WILL eat into the chassis. What's wrong with trying to protect it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure.....and dammit, why did AI make the tolerances on my bolt such that the finish wears when I shoot the rifle...I mean come on now. That is just unnecessary damage. I paid $3K for the rifle, shouldn't it look new forever??? Having the finish wear off the locking lugs is just poor engineering.....right?......
wink.gif
</div></div>

There's a big difference between unnecessary damage and normal wear but thanks for sharing your POV

See that is the problem. What you see as damage, I see as normal wear. These are tools, not heirlooms. A carpenter doesn't bitch when his toolbelt scratches his best hammer. He just uses the hammer until it needs to be replaced.

Now I do understand where some of you guys are coming from. You spent a lot of cash on your rigs and you want them to look as new as possible for as long as possible. I am not rich. I sold a car to buy my AE MkII and Razor. I have a lot of time invested in that rifle as well. However it is still a tool and gets used as such. There is no other bipod that does what the Atlas does in the manner it does. If I had the choice of it not chewing up the skins, but still giving me the same functionality, then I would obviously prefer that. However since that isn't an option...fuck it. It's not going to wear through the chassis.

As mentioned, if it's a deal-breaker just fold the legs the other way or convert it to the QD/Rail setup.

lol looks more like operator error because you could have just as easily folded the legs forward.....where it doesn't contact the chassis at all.

Black-X do you also see wear on the front of the mount from the contact between the spigot and female mounting block?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Black-X do you also see wear on the front of the mount from the contact between the spigot and female mounting block? </div></div>

Don't know Kasey, haven't had the Atlas off and I don't think finish wear is a big concern. Or do you mean something else?

I bet you don't put your guns on dirt either? Dirt scratches too damn those priceless guns too easy to scratch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Black-X do you also see wear on the front of the mount from the contact between the spigot and female mounting block? </div></div>

Kasey, I have the older V8 without the large collars, but yes I have wear on the spigot receiver in the chassis.

Tell you what if the Atlas rubbing on the chassis ever damages it to a point that it is no longer usable I will buy it from you and put it in a museum as the only AI that has ever quit.

Seriously, either fold the legs forward, take the bipod off, or STFU and use the rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Black-X do you also see wear on the front of the mount from the contact between the spigot and female mounting block? </div></div>

Kasey, I have the older V8 without the large collars, but yes I have wear on the spigot receiver in the chassis. </div></div>

I *think* he was asking me if the contact from the spigot mount is wearing the finish on the female spigot end on the chassis.

Nope, I was asking about finish wear between the two surfaces.

So now I understand that you are saying in addition to the skin, the collar ridge is actually digging into the aluminum of the chassis, not just wearing the surface?

okay missed a few comments, I am asking about the face of the female spigot where the Atlas AI Spigot contacts it.

LoneWolfUSMC , we are on same page, how about you Black-X?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope, I was asking about finish wear between the two surfaces.

So now I understand that you are saying in addition to the skin, the collar ridge is actually digging into the aluminum of the chassis, not just wearing the surface? </div></div>

Yes, on my last AICS it was wearing into the aluminum and you can see it starting in the OP's pic. I run the legs forward now to prevent it but I'm happy enough with the Atlas that's it's not a large enough concern to change. Maybe something that can be looked at if possible on a future rev.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell you what if the Atlas rubbing on the chassis ever damages it to a point that it is no longer usable I will buy it from you and put it in a museum as the only AI that has ever quit.

Seriously, either fold the legs forward, take the bipod off, or STFU and use the rifle </div></div>

Wow man! Your first post was helpful. This one not so much:\

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell you what if the Atlas rubbing on the chassis ever damages it to a point that it is no longer usable I will buy it from you and put it in a museum as the only AI that has ever quit.

Seriously, either fold the legs forward, take the bipod off, or STFU and use the rifle </div></div>

Wow man! Your first post was helpful. This one not so much:\ </div></div>

cox, seriously man don't fuel the fire.

I've also been here long enough to know exactly where this thread is going and I'm only willing to add constructive criticism and my own humble opinion in this thread, hopefully to better an already good product.

Ok, sorry about that. (I will say our metal finishers are doing a bang up great job putting our parts through the Hard Anodize process as it's stripping that AI anodize!)

Seriously we can resolve this, easy.

But I wonder with the new AI chassis, (the AX is it?) the female spigot is gone, right?