• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlasworx "Bottom Metal" Magazine Release Replacement

Edsel

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2013
IMG_0675.jpg

Have any of you tried replacing the magazine release with the other one included in the package that seats the magazine ~ 2mm higher?

IMG_0676.PNG

The "bottom metal" is already not as flush as one would like.

Here's what's going on...

IMG_0677.PNG

The rear of the magazine (see bolt, right) is ~ 2mm low.

IMG_0678.PNG

IMG_0679.PNG

The bolt just slides over the case head.

IMG_0680.PNG

Raise the magazine by ~ 2mm...

IMG_0681.PNG

IMG_0682.PNG

...and rounds feed just nicely.

----------

I tried driving the (shiny) pin out gently from either side, it won't budge. There's a concave (dimpled) side on the left, and a convex side on the right - not sure if this implies anything.

I'm somewhat hesitant to apply brute force, if there's really a proper way of doing it.

Has anybody had any experience swapping out the magazine release?

Last edited:
Make a hole in a wooden block a little larger than the pin so the punched pin can fall thru once removed. Properly support the bottom metal on the area around the hole on a wooden block, so it’s stable. Line up hole and pin. Now with the dimpled portion pointing upward tap with a punch. The pin should come out. Make sure you’re hitting in line with the pin and not at an angle. Use a starter punch to begin install of the new pin. Flush new pin to bottom metal.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I just got it out.

6646F6E4-BEB3-457B-9805-3B6786F4986E.jpeg

I ended up using this tool to assist - the pin was just much tighter than I expected, compared to others I’ve done.

This episode was analogous to changing sights out on an M&P Shield :ROFLMAO:

There was an earlier post inquiring on the magazine used, that seems to have disappeared...

It’s an MDT short action AICS magazine without the binder plate.

Reactions: Spblademaker