• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atmospheric Conditions from Zeroing Your Rifle with Bryan litz

That sounds great, unless you shoot farther then your zero range? Maybe I completely missed the intent of that video?

That sounds great, unless you shoot farther then your zero range? Maybe I completely missed the intent of that video?
You sure did.
It’s short. Watch it again.

His point is zero at 100 and atmospheric conditions are not in play, zero further out and you may be building hold into you zero scope settings that becomes invisible hold added to each shot.

I get that atmosphere is not going to affect your 100 yard zero, or your 100 yard shot, but wouldn't a large temp swing change that at distance? For instance zero at 40*, and shooting somewhere warmer at 90*?

Reactions: khuber84
ADD: what I mean by change at distance is your elevation adjustment

Yes. That’s exactly what the Kestrel is for. It still doesn’t matter for your 100 yard zero, as the video states.

Reactions: RG0099
I get that atmosphere is not going to affect your 100 yard zero, or your 100 yard shot, but wouldn't a large temp swing change that at distance? For instance zero at 40*, and shooting somewhere warmer at 90*?
Not enough to matter.
As an example using JBM's default environmental settings and a Sierra .308 168gr MatchKing at 2400 fps:
59-2400.png

Same projectile at 109 ' F and 1 fps per degree increase (2450 fps)
109-2450.png

It isn't even 1 click on most scopes.

Reactions: RG0099