• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Atpial-c .vs. Dbal-d2

Alcatraz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2013
I was on tnvc.com earlier this week and noticed that L3 made a peq-15 for civilians, But I recently (around March) purchased a DBAL-D2 and I like it. However I've always liked the PEQ-15 much more, does anybody know if the ATPIAL-C is better than the DBAL-D2?

Better for what? is the question at hand. The D2 is a great long range unit, but it is a heavy beast, right there with a VW beetle on the front of your rifle. I haven't played with the ATPIAL-c, but I have plenty of time on the restricted unit. If you open the flood all the way up, it gives you a good idea of the capabilities of the upcoming unit, from what I gather reading posts. Knowing that, I would think the ATPIAL-C would be a better carbine setup, and the D2 would make a better longer range setup. I'm sure the guys from TNVC will be along shortly to help out.

I would agree with Delta4-3, but add that I have known many who have complained about the quality and durability of the LDI units, where I have never experienced and had guys complain about the PEQ-15's.

I followed this over from your original post in another forum as I too am interested in an IR source for longer range shooting, like maybe 600 yards.

What I'm hearing from the replies is you need to define use, how much range are you wanting or expecting.

My expectations might be unrealistic.

There are good led illuminators out there that will get you too 600yds pretty easily. They do however emit some red glow but it's tolerable to most. A laser illuminator is very nice but to get enough power you need for long range illum I think you're outside of the eye safe realm. A peq-2a or peq-15 illuminator are bad ass. Not sure on the d2 unit. Never tried one.

I like the DBAL D2 on my carbine but I use it for lighting up a field coyote hunting and firing at targets within about 50 yards using the pointer in a high ready rifle position. For distance I use a torch only on my long gun beside a CNVD-LR. I have never used an ATPIAL-C but in reading up on it I don't think I would prefer it as an illuminator/pointer over the D2 for my use. I don't need a pointer for long range I just need to light up my target and the torch is better than the D2 for that purpose at distance in my experience. The size of the D2 hasn't bothered me, my only complaint was IR pointer bloom. TNVC sells a nice little filer to fix that.

Last edited:
I was on tnvc.com earlier this week and noticed that L3 made a peq-15 for civilians, But I recently (around March) purchased a DBAL-D2 and I like it. However I've always liked the PEQ-15 much more, does anybody know if the ATPIAL-C is better than the DBAL-D2?

The ATPIAL C doesn't have the throw on it's illuminator like the D2 does, but it's a true non visible illuminator. If you like the functionality of the PEQ-15's on don't mind having an illuminator that will only get you out to 150 yards, then go for the ATPIAL C.

In my opinion the ATPIAL C has better features for my needs, which is 200 yards and in. I have never shot any *living thing* past that distance with a laser. I don't really ever want to either, with a helmet mounted system.

The d2 illuminator is not lacking much or any behind the torch in my opinion. Get a filter for the pointer and you have a pin point laser. Best of all... It's an all in 1 package