• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Attention all current and former Marines...

Mike_in_FL

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 29, 2008
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I know this is your quiet time of the year, but also know you wouldn't want to miss this opportunity. For what you say? Why to congratulate the United States Army's very own SFC Brandon Green for firing his record setting 400-20X score in the President's Rifle Match yesterday. That is all.

nationalmatch.jpg

'Former' Marines?

Isnt that kind of like the Athenians asking the Spartans ..."If"?

Reactions: Sixfivesavage
    Good shooting1

Glad to see the Army is finally taking this shit seriously.

It was good of the Marines to challenge them to improve.

The optic era has really allowed the army to finally achieve what the USMC does with irons.

What sling is that and what configuration is it set up in.

Looks pretty sturdy and the keepers look capable of taking three widths of leather.

That scope is sure mounted well forward on his rifle. Obviously a prone shooting setup. It looks like his nose would have to be on the charging handle to get a full circle of light in the scope.

The Army has always taken this shit seriously. Compare how many matches the Army has won over the last 20 years to how many the USMC has won. The last time iron sights were used at Interservice in 2015, the Army was 83 points ahead of the USMC team. I don't think the Marines have been genuinely competitive since the early 90's. (That partially because both teams are structured radically differently.)

See my point exactly they stepped up their game.

980x.png

Reactions: Mike_in_FL
    Your post seemed to insinuate that the Army needed optics to shoot as well as the Marines used to be able to. USMC shooting team has had very few team match wins in comparison to the AMU since probably 1990. I know when I used to shoot it was EXPECTED that AMU would win the team matches.

Meh, Im not going to explain tongue in cheek inter-service rivalry.

I could acknowledge that it is amazing what the dedicated AMU staff and shooters have accomplished a long time running now but instead Ill just dig my heels in, retrench perhaps, and say "Yeah good for those ten or fifteen guys what about the rest of big Army?"

Ever had an Army line unit get accused by national media of executing the enemy because so many ended up head shot?

It wasn't murder or sadism - it was ability and the desire to save the tax payer money.

Great job USAMU!

Now where did they get that sling?

Good on SFC Green, he has dominated the matches for the last several years and is a consummate professional competitor who sets the bar higher every year. No surprise at all he once again brought it home.

As for the Marines dig? Shooting on the teams has long been a career killer in the USMC. According to the promotion boards, you're either in a deploying unit (even just "deployable" like Division HQ is less than desired if you don't actually go somewhere) where priority #1 is killing bad guys, training Marines to kill bad guys, finding Marines to kill bad guys, or you're wasting your time hiding from one of the previous three priorities and destined to take a "P" this go-around and that will likely lead to a few more before an additional rocker finds its way onto your sleeve. There's more than a few historical writings about this. The teams are operated on minimal funding, minimal support, and minimal staffing.

While the army may not take shooting seriously as a whole, the shooting oriented positions most certainly do. It can vary from unit to unit too, depending on how seriously chain of command takes it. But left to their devices, shooting schools, snipers, match teams, etc., they take it every bit as serious and are privy to all the same information and equipment as the marines are.

Good on SFC Green, he has dominated the matches for the last several years and is a consummate professional competitor who sets the bar higher every year. No surprise at all he once again brought it home.

As for the Marines dig? Shooting on the teams has long been a career killer in the USMC. According to the promotion boards, you're either in a deploying unit (even just "deployable" like Division HQ is less than desired if you don't actually go somewhere) where priority #1 is killing bad guys, training Marines to kill bad guys, finding Marines to kill bad guys, or you're wasting your time hiding from one of the previous three priorities and destined to take a "P" this go-around and that will likely lead to a few more before an additional rocker finds its way onto your sleeve. There's more than a few historical writings about this. The teams are operated on minimal funding, minimal support, and minimal staffing.

There's a whole lotta true to this statement. Getting permission from the command to attend matches or form a unit team was difficult, if not impossible in some cases. Either way, Hqs always looked at with a stink eye because if you went from Divisional's to Nationals, they were SOL filling the gap you'd leave behind for 6 months. It was the constant battle back when I was in, between commands that saw marksmanship competition as an enhancement to Marine training, and those that saw it as an inconvenience to be avoided.

Yep, they'll FAP out a pizza box shooting turd to the base gym for six months in a heartbeat, but if you have crossed rifles you're lucky to get to shoot the intramural matches, and only then does the command send you as you also get coach's course out of it for them to use to their advantage.

In the 90s, there were more than a few terminal at 20 years SSgts working at the PI ranges who were dual distinguished and no bad paper on them. They couldn't promote because they spent the bulk of their years on the Rifle Team rather than the FMF or a special duty billet, the only real alternative for promotion was to go WO as a Range Officer and even then they had to compete with combat veteran HOGs. When I was making a push while at PI to get onto the base team and try to get onto the MC team, I was strongly cautioned by those same SNCOs that is was a dead end to a career and their advice was the reason my time there was limited to two years before heading straight back to a Victor unit. At the same time, I knew many senior SNCOs who were blew the NM COF out the water, but spent their time at the real downrange where fire was two way and promotions always occurred in the below or in zone.

The AMU is an awesome outfit and represent both their service and the United States well from Camp Perry to the Olympics. Kudos to them, but I don't feel the least bit ashamed of my Eagle, Globe and Anchor or my silver expert marksmanship badges instead of gold distinguished ones, they still looked awesome with my two CARs, four expeditionary and campaign medals, four SSDs and two rockers.

LOL! Come to think of it, I got my first P the year after the second time I competed at Divisionals. I didn't qualify for Nationals that year ('96 IIRC) , but my shooting partner did (went DD that year). He had 20 when he pinned on his second rocker. I remember him at the promotion ceremony and his smiling quip "Well, I'm proof that if you hang around long enough, they'll promote you." And he was a hell of a Marine and a shooter.

Sounds about right, had an 03 SSgt in '97 who was also DD and right at 20, hadn't seen FMF since the first Gulf War and he had just been selected for Gunny, then had that pulled when he got a DUI. Just before I went there I had a Co Gunny with four CARs who pinned on Guns at 11 yrs active, got his fifth CAR with us and pinned on MSgt the following year so E-8 by 15 yrs AD. Boards love CARs.

Reactions: MarinePMI
    Epic excuse making and deflection, not a goddam thing wrong with marksmanship in combat arms army.

Good shooting1

Glad to see the Army is finally taking this shit seriously.

It was good of the Marines to challenge them to improve.

The optic era has really allowed the army to finally achieve what the USMC does with irons.

What sling is that and what configuration is it set up in.

Looks pretty sturdy and the keepers look capable of taking three widths of leather.

I'm not sure I agree with the final report of what went on, but good shooting from that distance, with iron sights......if he was the only shooter....

Nah, Lee Harvey was ahead of his time he scoped his Carcano.

Probably with one of those BDC hunting reticles being discussed in another thread that is on the verge of going epic.

He was an officer, so that doesn't count. :p

On which side during VN.

I heard the NVA counted his wound as an incident of friendly fire.

I realize that is pretty harsh and hope someday I will have to apologize but I dont think Im wrong in my thinking regards the coups attack dog.

Guy has broken his oath of office, he can eat a dick.