• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Attention AR 15 Shooters

ratti

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2009
Tac Pro Shooting Center of Mingus Texas to hold DPMS LE Armorers Course July 20th and 21st contact 254-968-3112

Re: Attention AR 15 Shooters

I am not sure if I am in the right spot ... but I have a question about the ar-15 as a sniper rifle. Would anyone know why an ar-15 would start shooting horribly when the barrell gets warm? I am shooting in an air conditioned 100 yard indoor range. I am squeezing a round about every 10 to 15 seconds. About 60 rounds into practice, my rifle starts shooting way off. Is this common? What does anyone else think about the ar-15 for long range shooting? Here is my current setup:

Stag Arms ar-15 w/ 21" barrel chambered in 5.56 NATO - phantom flash hider - harris bi-pod - titanium firing pin - titanium rings on the bolt - stock bolt - hogue free float fore guard - hogue pistol grip - rock river 6 position collapsable stock with CCA cheek rest and rubber add-on butt - railed carry handle with a cheap 3 x 9 x 50 Simmons scope "just until my new scope arrives" - 2.5lb stock trigger - using Federal Premium Ammo 62GR.

This is a very nice rifle and I am seeing that brand of ammo is very important. The range I shoot at has an awesome setup. I am using a computer to show exactly where the round is on target. On average I am shooting a .01" off dead center. At about 50 to 60 rounds in, it starts getting very sloppy. I used to re-adjust the scope before I figured out it was just the ammo.

Is this just happening to me or are others experiencing the same? What is the best round to use for long range? What kind of range should I expect and still have knock down power?

I would appreciate any intel on this rifle. I am new to long range shooting. I used the same in the army and as a police officer. Now that I have my own, I am wanting to get serious about long range shooting. I qualified expert in the army and as an officer, so I can shoot, I am just ignorant to the specifics. I would appreciate any information. I am located in Dayton, Ohio ... so if anyone would like to shoot, I am open to that as well ... as long as your not goof. I am very safety orriented and take shooting very serious. No Games here. Thanks

J.T. Jones
www.toemps.com
Dayton, Ohio

Re: Attention AR 15 Shooters

Depends on the AR, my White Oak upper, Service Rifle, dosnt seem to mind the heat.

The army went to the AR in Service Rifle (Match) as the DM rifle. I dont think they are worried about it.

My M16a1 I used in vietnam didnt seem to vary but I didn't do a lot of long range shooting with it.