• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Attention Remington 597 Owners/Fans!! Good News!!

USMCj

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2008
Nazzifornia
If you are like me, then you hate Ruger and everything he stood for. So you bought a Rem597 instead of drinking the 10/22 kool-aid. (I for one love my 597 and its design compared to the 10/22, but hated the fact that there was very little aftermarket support for this rifle)

But then you noticed that there was a huge gap in the match grade barrel market for these rifles as Volquartsen stopped making barrels for the 597 over a year ago, and Jarvis Inc. will not be making any until the end of the year, maybe.

After spending a whole lot of time on Google, I found a place called Nice Shot LLC. They used to sell Volquartsen barrels for the 597, but after they ran out and Volquartsen stopped making them, they had a huge backorder of barrels. So they asked Volq. to make a special run of these barrels for them, and they did. They got them in stock a couple of days ago and have some left over to sell since most of those people that had them on backorder for over a year canceled their orders.

These are the very last run of Volquartsen bull barrels for the Rem 597 that you will ever find. I just placed my order with them and the guy I spoke to was very nice and knew what he was talking about. They also carry the Volquartsen target hammer which gives your 597 a 2.5 pound crisp trigger, and the Volq. extractor which fixes the extractions issues that you may have had in the past.

I do not work for them, nor am I in any way getting a special deal on my barrel for posting this, just trying to pass along some info to other Rem 597 fans (if there are any on this board).

My barrel and extractor should be here either Tuesday or Wednesday, Ill post some before and after pics.

Here is their contact info.

Nice Shot LLC.
4765 Caterpillar Rd.
Redding, Ca. 96003
530-241-6486
[email protected]
www.niceshot.net

Whats up with the hate?

I do love Remington(700 PSS,CDL,504T ,40X 870,11-87)but what up with the hate for the 10/22 and Bill Ruger? There is a reason the 10/22 is the most popular .22 semi ever. PS I do like your 597

Re: Whats up with the hate?

Some people are still carrying a grudge against Mr. Ruger for his business savvy when he kind of voted for the AWB in '94. What he did was advocate for a 15-rd limit so his rotary magazine .22lr designs wouldn't be a part of the ban.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edgerat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some people are still carrying a grudge against Mr. Ruger for his business savvy when he kind of voted for the AWB in '94. What he did was advocate for a 15-rd limit so his rotary magazine .22lr designs wouldn't be a part of the ban. </div></div>

"business savvy" and "doing what's right" can sometimes be polar opposites. Financial gain or Freedom? Which one would you choose?

As they well should! Sad days are these when gun manufacturers won't even stand up for the 2nd amendment and instead choose to not only vote for it, but to write a letter to not supporting but suggest a magazine capacity limit and to go to Washington to advocate that limit in order to further their own business because at the time they were loosing TONS of business to the hi-cap handgun and rifle options offered by other companies.

Then you have the interview where Mr. Ruger stated that no honest man had any reason to have more than 10 rounds in any gun and had no intention of ever selling them to the general public.

Was he anti-gun or just trying to protect his business and hurt his competitors doesn't matter to me. The fact is either way he purposefully damaged our gun rights by his actions and his statements. Honestly anyone that supports such a business should consider themselves supporting a company that has gone out of their way to sacrifice our gun rights for their own gain.

Later the entire SAMMI group at the time supported the same stance, of course none of them made any weapons with high capacity magazines and were no doubt seeing their sales hurt by high capacity weapons at the time. At the time from what I could find, SAMMI consisted of Winchester, Browning, Federal, Marlin, Hornady, S&W, Hurcules, Mossberg, Remington, T/C, and weatherby. No doubt they all saw the positive aspect of a high capacity ban putting their guns on an even playing field once again. However, again the bottom line is the manufacturers did not stand together and refuse to accept any gun restrictions instead they caved and supported reduced gun rights that also served to help their business.

I will never own anything Ruger period!!! Plus I really think the Rem597 has a much better design than the 10/22 ever could. Its the aftermarket support that make the 10/22 what it is. In its stock form, its a piece of shit! and the 597 will shoot circles around it.

And thanks for the comments about my 597.

USMCj

I've got a 10/22 that would shoot rings around just about anything I have ever seen. Saying 10/22's are pieces of shit is about the dumbest comment I have ever heard so anything else you say is immediately discredited.

Maybe you should read before you type. I said stock 10/22s are crap. And they are! If you spend money and upgrade some things on it, it becomes a good shooter. But only if you upgrade it. Stock 597's are known to be more accurate than stock 10/22s so there should be no arguments there.

BTW Im talking about the standard factory 10/22s and not the heavy barrel target models.

If it weren't for bill ruger you wouldn't have your precious 597, that is all. BTW, here is a factory barreled rifle that I built out of spare 10/22 parts, the only thing I did was sand out the channel in the barrel, slap a stainless carbine barrel on it that I had laying around and shot it at 50yds with some good ammo.

P1010235.jpg

eltorcido.jpg

and let me add, I have owned a couple 597s, they are great rifles but the blind hatred of anything ruger is silly to me.

Blind? the guy was a douche! Like I said, I choose who to give my money to. Ruger isnt one of them.

whats up with the hate

Understood and somewhat agree. Thanks, Only thing I have to say in defence of the 10/22 is Bills gone and Ruger and the aftermarket keeps the 10/22 going in many variations. Remington will not/cannot commit to one design for long so consumers and aftermarket cannot keep up. Notice the 581,591,541 model 5,and the 504. I will give the 597 consideration for my next semi .22

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blind? the guy was a douche! Like I said, I choose who to give my money to. Ruger isnt one of them. </div></div>

Ruger is a corporation, not an individual. You're not depriving anyone in the Ruger family of anything by not buying one firearm.

I have two Rugers and nobody makes a better .22 than Ruger.

I think you have some legitimate points about old man Ruger, but the fact of the matter is that he makes the best .22 in the business.

After a spate of high profile shootings and incidences with the Ruger Mini-14 rifle, along with a number of unsavory associations the Mini-14 had gained with militias and extremist movements during the late 1970s and early 1980s, Ruger expressed a highly unpopular position (amongst firearms owners, users and enthusiasts) by stating his personal views on the "sporting" nature of certain firearms.

In a letter to members of the House and Senate on 30 March 1989, Ruger stated in what has come to be known as "The Ruger Letter":

"The best way to address the firepower concern is therefore not to try to outlaw or license many millions of older and perfectly legitimate firearms (which would be a licensing effort of staggering proportions) but to prohibit the possession of high capacity magazines. By a simple, complete, and unequivocal ban on large capacity magazines, all the difficulty of defining "assault rifles" and "semi-automatic rifles" is eliminated. The large capacity magazine itself, separate or attached to the firearm, becomes the prohibited item. A single amendment to Federal firearms laws could prohibit their possession or sale and would effectively implement these objectives."

In addition to the furor amongst hunters, sportsmen and shooters caused by "The Ruger Letter", Ruger made additional comments during an interview with NBCs Tom Brokaw that angered 2nd Amendment proponents even further, saying that "no honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun…" and "I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 and 30 round magazines…"

This position, coming from an important firearms manufacturer such as Ruger, caused outrage in the shooting sports community and led to a widespread boycott of Ruger products that is still practiced by some firearms purchasers to this day, who choose to buy products from manufacturers who they feel hold a greater respect for their customers (however, see further below).

"The Ruger Letter" is widely accepted as being the genesis for those parts of legislation that were drafted 5 years later in the now defunct Assault Weapons Ban which prohibited the manufacture of any magazines holding over 10 rounds of ammunition for civilian sale, except to the motion-picture industry, which Ruger continued to pursue. Critics consider it ironic that the company would supply shows such as The A-Team with the Model 556 (a fully-automatic machine gun), then complain about the resulting public image of the semi-automatic Mini-14 lookalike.

While it is unknown what the true motives behind "The Ruger Letter" really were, it is widely speculated that his position on magazine capacity was more a matter of smart business than one of individual philosophy. Given the legislative climate regarding firearms during that time (the late 1980s/early 1990s), the prospect of an outright ban that may have impacted one of Ruger's most popular and profitable models (the Mini-14) was a very real possibility.

By taking preemptive measures to shift the focus from the "guns" to the "magazine capacity", this would allow Sturm, Ruger to continue production with their Mini 14 line of firearms for civilian sale. Any legislation regarding magazines would have had zero impact on their bottom line, given that Ruger maintained a company policy refusing to sell Mini-14 magazines over 5 rounds (which would not have been affected), even prior to the 1994 legislation.

However, the tactic was a complete failure. Not only was the Mini-14 included in the various lists of banned guns, but the customer base of "simple civilians" simply found other vendors, while the government and law-enforcement markets largely continued to pass by Ruger products in favor of arms from Colt's, Springfield Armory, Heckler and Koch, FN and others.

Since the death of Bill Ruger and the 2006 retirement of his son, Bill Ruger, Jr., the company has offered and advertised its 20-round and (more recently, as of April 2009) its 30-round Mini-14 magazines for sale to the general public on its Web site. In light of the (then) upcoming US Presidential Election of 2008, Sturm, Ruger & Co. even offered "Inaugural Special" pricing for their 20-round Mini-14 magazines through January 31, 2009. With acts such as these, the boycott appears to have been dying down. Additionally, Ruger announced its entry into the AR-15 market on May 15th 2009 by announcing the SR-556. This is a gas-piston AR and comes with 3 30 round magazines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blind? the guy was a douche! Like I said, I choose who to give my money to. Ruger isnt one of them. </div></div>

Ruger is a corporation, not an individual. You're not depriving anyone in the Ruger family of anything by not buying one firearm.

I have two Rugers and <span style="font-weight: bold">nobody makes a better .22 than Ruger</span>.

I think you have some legitimate points about old man Ruger, <span style="font-weight: bold">but the fact of the matter is that he makes the best .22 in the business.</span> </div></div>

Wrong. I take it you've never heard of Anschutz, Suhl....need I go on. I won't even grant you the best semiauto title to Ruger. Ever had the pleasure of shooting the Thompson/Center .22, what an excellent and very accurate .22.

As far as Ruger I've made my opinions known in another thread. One who attacks or has attacked my rights as a gun owner is my enemy. That person is my enemy until I die, their death does not change that status.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Just Roy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blind? the guy was a douche! Like I said, I choose who to give my money to. Ruger isnt one of them. </div></div>

I have two Rugers and <span style="font-weight: bold">nobody makes a better .22 than Ruger</span>.

I think you have some legitimate points about old man Ruger, <span style="font-weight: bold">but the fact of the matter is that he makes the best .22 in the business.</span> </div></div>

Wrong. I take it you've never heard of Anschutz, Suhl....need I go on. I won't even grant you the best semiauto title to Ruger. Ever had the pleasure of shooting the Thompson/Center .22, what an excellent and very accurate .22.

As far as Ruger I've made my opinions known in another thread. One who attacks or has attacked my rights as a gun owner is my enemy. That person is my enemy until I die, their death does not change that status. </div></div>

Well said sir, well said!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two Rugers and nobody makes a better .22 than Ruger.</div></div>

I would have to disagree. Take a wander to any .22LR competition and tell me what you see.

Also I don't think anyone here would take a 10/22 if given the choice over a 40x or a 504t. I know I sure as hell wouldn't.