• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Attention Washington State Residents

nw911guy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2010
Puyallup, Washington
At 8am jan 12th there is a public hearing in the legislature in regards to HB1016. This bill would rewrite the existing rcw 9.41.250 to allow the public use of sound suppressors in accordance with federal law. Let's get this passed people.

Re: Attention Washington State Residents

Good luck! Talk about a blue ball law. You are allowed to have them but not use them? That is messed up.

I actually typed up a really nice letter to my representative about passing the bill. I'm a resident by proxy, since i'm stationed elsewhere.

but I accidentally closed the email tab, and now i'm too lazy to retype it, so I called instead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually typed up a really nice letter to my representative about passing the bill. I'm a resident by proxy, since i'm stationed elsewhere.

but I accidentally closed the email tab, and now i'm too lazy to retype it, so I called instead.</div></div>

lol Nice. I'm intending to attend the hearing in the morning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually typed up a really nice letter to my representative about passing the bill. I'm a resident by proxy, since i'm stationed elsewhere.

but I accidentally closed the email tab, and now i'm too lazy to retype it, so I called instead.</div></div>

lol Nice. I'm intending to attend the hearing in the morning. </div></div>

Appreciate the effort sir!

Edit: If you wouldn't mind posting an AAR from the hearing, I'm sure all us WA folks would appreciate it.

Well I sent out an e mail with their system, but it didn't even recognise the bill number. But I asked them to support it anyway. for all the good it will do. All my "representatives" are liberal Democrats!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At 8am jan 12th there is a public hearing in the legislature in regards to HB1016. This bill would rewrite the existing rcw 9.41.250 to allow the public use of sound suppressors in accordance with federal law. Let's get this passed people. </div></div>

39th district is all GOP,who gets the Emails ? Just the Reps,or the Senator also ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

39th district is all GOP,who gets the Emails ? Just the Reps,or the Senator also ? </div></div>

That is an answer I do not have.

I sent a note to Cary Condotta, one of the main sponsors of the bill, and sent out a text to my many shooting contacts to e-mail Representative Condotta as well. I also looked at the party affiliation of the bill's sponsors and a surprising number of them are Democrats, go figure! The more people send in or show up in support of this bill, the more sway we will have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At least I'm hoping to attend if I can get there considering the snow. </div></div>

C'mon now,everybody knows how to drive in the Snow here
laugh.gif

I just emailed my three Reps. of the 26th district. Sure would be nice if they would actually listen.

Alright. Things look good. At the hearing there was 0 opposition. And lakewood PD's firearms instructor spoke on the pro side. Brian Blake (rep for the 19th district) spoke on the pro side as well. Both are optimistic on this. If you know someone that would be on our side on this, make sure they pester their reps as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright. Things look good. At the hearing there was 0 opposition. And lakewood PD's firearms instructor spoke on the pro side. Brian Blake (rep for the 19th district) spoke on the pro side as well. Both are optimistic on this. If you know someone that would be on our side on this, make sure they pester their reps as well.</div></div>

Glad to hear it. Thanks for going, and thank you for the update.

Mattj,
No problem. It was my first time doing anything like this so it's sort been educational. I voiced to Brian Blake that next up should be SBRs.
grin.gif

I attended the hearing. It went very well. 12 people showed up to sign the bill 1016 sheet and were all pro. Myself and several others spoke to the committee. A WACOPS representative did most of the talking, in fact he covered most of what I wanted to say. Only one industry representative was present though.

I think the bill will go to the House floor where it will pass. Senator Kline and the rest of the Judiciary Comittee need lots of LETTERS, not e-mail. Take the time to type/print out a real letter and lick a stamp. Take the time to write to the governor too.

You can find all email addresses here; https://dlr.leg.wa.gov/MemberEmail/Default.aspx

Find your Senator and Rep here;http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx

Look for your Senators and Reps phone numbers on their webpages here; http://www.leg.wa.gov/pages/home.aspx . Just click on the correct link at top.

Ranb

RanB,

I was one of them present. The Lakewood officer that spoke was actually also there on behalf of one of the shops.

I mentioned to Rep. Blake afterwards maybe next we can do something about SBRs.

I wish I could have made it but I didnt see this until now. i thought we tried this bill once or twice before and it was stalled both times in the committees? Is there more hope this time?

CJG

So far, this time it looks like it has legs. I think partly because the state is hoping for more sales tax revenue.

A friend of mines is actually one of the sponsors, unfortunately I don't live in his district but am stuck here in the 36th district with Senator Kohl-Welles, whom I have emailed and written to before with no acknowledgement. Now, believe or not one of the Democratic sponsors of this bill is from the 36th, would it be better to write a letter to Senator Kline and the rest of the Judiciary Comittee or send a letter to Kohl-Welees asking her to support it.

Lets hope it makes it this time. In all honesty I own a bunch of suppressors already, this is more of an annoyance than anything. I would REALLY like to see the SBR/SBS stuff get revoked.

CJG

Guys, please hold off on the SBR/SBS stuff for now and concentrate on the silencer issue. The silencer issue is more than an annoyance for me. I shoot at the KRRC which is under a microscope now due to a lawsuit from the county over alleged safety and noise violations. I need bill 1016 to pass, talking about SBS/SBR is going to piss Kline off and possibly change his mind on the silencer issue which so far he has not actually come out against.

I have been writing hundreds of letters and emails for years now, this is our best shot. If we fuck it up now, it may be a few years before Kline and Pedersen allow another pro-silencer bill to get a hearing in committee. These two guys make or break any gun control bill they see, so we have to concentrate on one thing at a time.

Ranb

Agree 100% with Ranb, one step at a time. First suppressors, then SBRs, not both in the same fight.

And for those of you that don't want to type a whole letter, here's two that I've sent that I found. They may not be the best out there, but I think they get the right points across. The first one was 2 years ago, so I've changed the Bill number to be the correct one.

Letter 1:

Dear Representative,

I am writing to encourage you to please support HB 1016 and to change the current restriction on noise suppressors for firearms.

As you may know Washington has an odd law that allows the ownership of suppressors, but outlaws the use of them even for the legal owners of them. This forces law abiding owners to travel to our neighboring states where suppressor use is legal. Some would have you believe, thanks to the Hollywood portrayal of suppressors, that they make firearms whisper quiet and that this somehow makes them more useable in crimes. There are many untruths in this belief, but the biggest is the use of suppressors in illegal activity. Due to the expense of suppressors, a $200 tax stamp and the very thorough federal background check only the most serious of sportsman purchase suppressors, not your common criminals. Suppressors also don't make firearms whisper quiet, they simply reduce the noise to safer levels, which is better for not only the shooter but surrounding individuals.

One of the most common complaints about rifle ranges is the noise, allowing the use of suppressors would reduce these complaints. Ranges are important because they give people of all ages a controlled and safe environment to learn how to safely use firearms. An interesting fact is that most European countries actually "require" suppressor use in order to reduce noise for the surrounding areas. The sound reduction benefit to the shooter is also important to note since the suppressor, combined with proper ear protection, would lower the sound to a safe level.

Of course we can't overlook the financial benefits of allowing suppressor use. Keeping shooters, sportsmen and women in the state of Washington versus having them leave the state the shoot increases revenue from everything from gas taxes to even food and beverage sales.

If you have any additional questions about why you should support HB 1016 please do not hesitate to contact me, I would be happy to sit down and discuss this further and hopefully provide some clarity in the matter.

I greatly appreciate your time and your support of HB 1016.

(Your Name Here)

Letter 2:

Dear Sir,

Just a quick note to let you know that I and countless other sportsmen are in favor of HB1016 which will allow the legal use of suppressors in WA. Suppressors are widely used in almost every other state and most of Europe by recreational shooters. They not only protect the hearing of the user and fellow shooters, but they eliminate noise complaints from the surrounding neighbors of legal shooting ranges.

Thanks to Hollywood there is a large misconception about suppressors, they are not whisper quiet and simply reduce the output of noise to a tolerable level. Due to the extensive Federal background check required to own them they are almost never used in a criminal manner, in fact I know of zero instances where a suppressor has been used to commit a crime.

Washington allows the ownership of suppressors, but not the use of them. Please help change this outdated law and bring Washington in line with other states that allow the safe and responsible use of sound suppressing devices while shooting.

Thank you,

(Your Name Here)

A story about this was on NPR this morning(I know, NPR, almost hate to admit I listen, but I look at it as "knowing the enemy") Seemed reasonably unbias which suprised me.

There was audio from the officer who testified. He laid out a reasonable case and indicated no one how showed up to the meeting opposed the measure.

I plan on getting letters out ASAP.

those are good letters and I like how they focus on the reducing dangerous noise and would help gun ranges. Thats the angle that I think works. I will mail these in to my reps, bu up here in NK I think only one of my 3 reps has been for it in the past and I have been unable to change the others.

CJG

I wrote an email to my State rep, a Democrat thanking her for sponsoring this billl, I also wrote an email to my State Seanator Kohl-Welles, obviously I got the automatic reply, but this included her aides info, I wrote an email to him as well, I figure that if he can be won over she can be as well. Obviously they were not as eloquent or as well put as JasonK's examples, but I think I got the meassage across clearly. Hopefully everyone that posts on the SHWW group can send something out and this bill can become a reality.
Marty

Jasonk,

Agreed. I shouldn't even have said anything. I agree on one thing at a time. Thank you for the letters.

Anyone besides reps and the queen that should be bombarded with mail?

Senate bill 5112 is the companion bill to House bill 1016. The key targets are Senate Judiciary chairman Kline (he is the main anti-gun person in all of WA), the rest of the Judiciary committee members and the Rules committee. If you are feeling frisky, then send every Senator a letter. Here are the Senate e-mail addresses. https://dlr.leg.wa.gov/MemberEmail/Default.aspx?chamber=S

Senate Judiciary members; http://www.leg.wa.gov/Senate/Committees/JUD/Pages/MembersStaff.aspx
Senate Rules committee members; http://www.leg.wa.gov/Senate/Committees/RULE/Pages/MembersStaff.aspx

There are many people on these lists. If you do not want to write to them all, at least send the chairman and ranking minority member a letter. Letters are better than e-mail. This is not a Democrat verses Republican matter. The only two people in the entire legislature that told me they would not support the bill are Republicans Roach (Senate) and Hargrove (House). Even Kline says he is undecided. But I hear he will not oppose it most likely.

Be polite and factual even if the replies you get are not. We can not afford to alienate anyone in Olympia right not. Wait until the months before the next election to do that.
smile.gif

Ranb

Thanks to all working on this. The use of sound suppressors should be allowed to reduce noise pollution caused by the exercising of the second amendment. Here's to quieter shooting. I will do my part.

Here's the news today:

This Brandt, Rep. Condotta's Legislative Assistant. Once/if this bill passes the House, it will start the whole process over in the Senate. Committee hearing, Committee voting, Rules voting then Senate floor for debate and voting. Here is where to track this and every other bill: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/ type the bill number in the search field and you can see exactly what we see. As far as who to write. I don't know what committee it will go to in the Senate but once it shows that in the tracking I would send your letters to every member on that Committee. You may not get a response because you may not be in their district but the point will get across. I hope to see us voting it soon. It passed out of committee fast with not opposition so I am hoping that is a sign of good things to come. That being said, the leadership could stop or slow the bill down so watch it closely and if it does stall start writing the house majority leadership. Any other questions feel free to write me or the Representative.

Sincerely,

Brandt Cappell
Legislative Aide to Cary Condotta
12th District Representative
Legislative Bldg. Rm 122-B
P.O. Box 40600
Olympia, WA 98504-0600
(360) 786-7954
[email protected]

So I was all excited about this law up for a vote and I went to the good folks at Surplus Ammo to ask about getting a suppressor. They told me I have to have a Trust or a non-profit LLC? WTF? What do you guys do to acquire one in this rediculious state?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I was all excited about this law up for a vote and I went to the good folks at Surplus Ammo to ask about getting a suppressor. They told me I have to have a Trust or a non-profit LLC? WTF? What do you guys do to acquire one in this rediculious state? </div></div>

If you live in Pierce County, as I understand it, it's borderline impossible to get a CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) to sign off on paperwork. So, the way people get around it is by having a trust or corporation established and then the CLEO sign off isn't required. And that's per federal law I believe. You're also looking at 90 days and even more potentially before you're cleared for the transaction. This method isn't just in Washington State either. It's pretty common across the country. If you're serious, you'll want to have an attorney that is qualified, draw up what we refer to as an NFA trust which will probably run on the order of $600, maybe more. But once it's established, you can purchase more with that trust.

I did exactly that, I got a trust. It was easy I went up to wades east side gun shop. Walked in, they have a cookie cutter trust that they had a lawyer draw up. They input your name and you decide on a name for your trust, You pay for the can with a credit card and bring a $200 money order. Took about 45 minutes. Then the 3 month wait, got the call walked in and picked it up after doing another 10 minutes of paperwork. You could try the quicken willmaker for like 20 bux(soudns like it works, but its confusing and takes time), pay a nfa trust lawyer 500 bux etc etc. Wades is a little spendy but once you price out how much it would take to get something transferred from out of state and still pay states sales tax, then pay for the trust etc etc, its about the same price and they have a few prett good cans in stock. Its pretty easy to go to wades, buy an aac element or a swr spectr 22 can, either one is awesome and in the 500-600 range. Total you will pay about 850 bux, but you will get a can and have a trust so you can buy more from wherever you want. PM me if you have more questions. probably want to keep this thread on track with the legislation.

CJG

Hi All,

The living trust method is very painless-- I am in the waiting stage.

Have fun.

What if you are a law enforcement officer...or about to be one? I also hold a secret clearance with the military. Does this help? Sorry to jack the thread, but it does have some relevance to WA State law that we all hope will change soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if you are a law enforcement officer...or about to be one? I also hold a secret clearance with the military. Does this help? Sorry to jack the thread, but it does have some relevance to WA State law that we all hope will change soon.</div></div>

I bet it helps about......ZERO.

Just make a trust, it's easy and you don't have to beg the CLEO each time you want a new toy.

Oh well, I'll continue to pursue. I'll definitely be writing my representative to revise this law on suppressor use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if you are a law enforcement officer...or about to be one? I also hold a secret clearance with the military. Does this help? Sorry to jack the thread, but it does have some relevance to WA State law that we all hope will change soon. </div></div>

Nope no difference if you hold or have held a clearance. The clearance question is common and there is a lot of threads out there, and it always comes down to the fact that it really depends on what examiner your form 4 gets screened too. Some take a month some take 6. LE makes no difference as long as your referring to buying one for personal use, you still need a form 4 and it takes just as long. There is no LE exemption in WA state for the use of suppressors, so it is even against the law for LE to use a suppressor in WA state. Hopefully this will all change soon!

CJG

I've heard from two of my reps. Both are supporting the law change. Here is what I received from Derek Kilmer today,

"STS & Wife-
Thanks for your note. I just had an opportunity to read this bill, and it makes sense to me. I also note that the law enforcement community testified in support of the bill.
I intend to give the bill my support when it reaches the Senate floor."

Best,
Derek Kilmer

"P.S. I send out an email newsletter every week or so to let folks know what's happening in Olympia. If you'd like to receive it, just reply to this email."

And,
"Hello - -I agree with you. I do not sit on the committee that will hear the bill but I hope it gets through. It is a House Bill so is being heard here in the House. If you need more info on the hearing call my assist. Debbie Austin at 360-786-7964. She can get you all the info you need. Rep. Jan Angel"

That's two of three. Man I sure would like to see this one sail through.