• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors ATTN: WYOMING SUPRESSOR OWNERS!!! UPDATE 08/01/12

John_in_WYO

Colorful Raconteur
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2009
Cody, WY
If you have any interest in getting state law modified to allow hunting predators/big game/prairie dogs etc... with your legally registered silencers let me know soon!

I'm working with several groups to get the Legislature to amend

<span style="font-weight: bold">W.S. 23-3-112(a) Firearms; automatic weapon or silencer prohibited.</span> No person shall take into or possess in the game fields or forests of Wyoming any fully automatic weapon or device designed to silence or muffle the report of any firearm.

DON'T delay. contact me via PM or on the board here.

<span style="color: #FF0000">UPDATE 03/09/12

<span style="font-family: 'Century Gothic'">The 2012 Travel, Recreation and Wildlife (TRW) Committee heard a recommendation from Sportsmen for Fish & Wildlife (SFW) Director Bob WHARFF to conduct a study during the next interim for the 2013 Legislative session to consider changing this statute to allow the use of silencers in Wyoming to hunt all legal animals. Thunder Beast Arms Company (TBAC) silencer manufacturer (Cheyenne, WY) was represented by Shane C. from this board and gave expert testimony regarding silencers to the committee. Based on Shane's testimony the topic has been made an Interim Study Topic for 2013.
Not done yet, but it is in the works.

Thanks to Shane C. You made a big impression with those folks!</span></span>

<span style="color: #FF0000">UPDATE 08/01/12
Cheyenne: Yesterday, TBAC put on a live-fire demo for members of the TRW Committee.
Several members attended and were able to observe and shoot suppressed firearms from .22LR to .338 Lapua Magnum.
Members seemed uniformly impressed on the demo. Information was provided by Shane and Ray from TBAC with support from other TBAC staff.

Here is the DRAFT bill provided by WY G&F for recommendation to TRW:

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/interimCommittee/2012/13LSO-0092W1.pdf

Basically, the DRAFT bill appears to remove the prohibition on possession and use of suppressors in the (undefined) game fields and forests of Wyoming.

The draft would make the use of a suppressor a separate criminal offense if one was
1)to take a big or trophy game animal in a closed area or without a proper license;
2)wantonly waste a big or trophy game animal;
3)trespass upon private land and take a big or trophy game animal;
4)take a big or trophy game animal out of season.

Predators and non-game species aren't prohibited which means coyotes and prairie dogscould be on the table next July 1.

Still lots of work to be done. Be patient. The bill has to pass TRW, then be adopted and introduced. The House and the Senate will have their say on modification or acceptance. The Legislature doesn't convene until February 2013. Be patient.
At the proper time you will be notified to contact your legislators to support or recommend changes to the bill that is introduced.

However, after total ban on the use of suppressors for hunting since 1921, it looks like things are in the works for a positive change.

Another positive note. While the DRAFT bill prohibits taking any wildlife with a fully automatic firearm, it doesn't prohibit recreational shooting on one's own property like it did before.</span>

Re: ATTN: WYOMING SUPRESSOR OWNERS!!!!!

Would love to legally shoot prairie dogs with a suppressor as I am seriously thinking about one. Let me know how to help!

+1 all you Wyoming guys, Wyoming is my second favorite place to hunt(my own state being the first of course)I love Wyoming and would live there were it expedient, the only thing I dont like is having to "go loud" when I kill something there. It would make Wyoming that much better.

You know we're with you!

Let me know what we can do to help. Feel free to call.

Shane

As Shane said. Thunder Beast is with you. Let us know what we can do.

I understand there is a similar bill slated to go through the MT legislature this session. Don't know what the status is though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand there is a similar bill slated to go through the MT legislature this session. Don't know what the status is though. </div></div>

That is correct. Montana advised me there is legislation pending to repeal their existing statutory prohibition on silencer use.

Don't live in Wyoming,but spend alot of time there. Having to take off the supressor when shooting at live stuff in Wyoming Blows more than the wind!
Hope we can all keep them on some day soon. Let me know if I can Help.

I'm not a supressor user but put me on the list as supporting the change to allow supressors.

used to live in laramie but its just too cold and miserable there 10mo/year.

good luck!

Too late to get anything filed this year.
BUT next year looks good.

If you have any justifications for why silencer use SHOULD be allowed in hunting, send comments to: john113wyo AT hotmail DOT com
Include any issues or non-issues from silencer use to hunt in your state.

I'll compile and submit them to the appropriate committees.

The Constitional Carry law made it out of the House commettee (8-1) without any silly admendments. Now it goes to the Full House, we need to keep after them to prevent any BS, we want the bill as is.

John, I'm on board with you! I'm seriously looking at my first suppressor myself. Even if they just allowed for predator/prairie dogs I would be on board with it.
The way I look at it, an Elk, Deer, Antelope, etc etc will smell you before you see them. I've lost out on many shots because of this. All a suppressor does is save your hearing and your buddies. Lets get this going for next year.

I would love to be able to hunt with suppressors! Let me know what I can do to help!

I am on board as well. I do not own a supressor yet because of the laws. If we can get this changed you can bet I will own one and use it. While shooting paper I will just use ear plugs for now. Maybe this could bring a suppressor manufacturer to Wyoming with our laws on Wyoming made guns, so jobs could also be a benefit. Might be far fetched but worth a shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am on board as well. I do not own a supressor yet because of the laws. If we can get this changed you can bet I will own one and use it. While shooting paper I will just use ear plugs for now. Maybe this could bring a suppressor manufacturer to Wyoming with our laws on Wyoming made guns, so jobs could also be a benefit. Might be far fetched but worth a shot. </div></div>

Yeah man, there's already a suppressor manufacturer in WY. Check out TBAC, they're here on the hide and their cans are outstanding. I love the .223P I've got and I'm prepping to have them make a one off can for my .458 SOCOM. I shoot with a few game wardens and I know their opinions on the matter. I'd say we're pretty much good to go, just need it on the books, officially.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love to be able to hunt with suppressors! Let me know what I can do to help! </div></div>

add me too

I also will support, let me know what I can do.

Thanks

That answers my question about shooting with a can at prairie dogs in Wyoming.

Well with Ray, Major Malfunction and I selling most of the suppressors going into WY, let us know if we can help in any way.

heck yeah i would love to hunt with a can might even make it so my buddies can get shots on the rest of the herd as well

Re: ATTN: WYOMING SUPRESSOR OWNERS!!!!! UPDATE 3/9/12

It will be early next year before anything really happens (legislative session). But, the ball is rolling. I have a meeting scheduled with Wyoming Game and Fish in a few days. They are in the research phase of their presentation to the TRW committee. The interim committee meeting is scheduled for the end of this month.

If you know anybody in politics, Game and Fish or L.E., bend their ear. Now is the time!

R,
Shane

I hope it works out. Would love to chase prairie dogs without having ears on!

Was told today that new legislation was out there about this, did a google search and of course snipershide comes up. The only reason I dont have a suppressor yet is because I couldnt use it when shooting varmints and hunting predators. If this goes through you can bet I will have one.

I'm on board!!!

Let me know if you guys need my help

I had sent them an email a couple months back asking that they consider letting suppressors be used for varmints and so on. I received an email back from the wyoming game and fish and the email made it sound like it was being considered. I wish i could find the email now but i must have deleted it. Hopefully the get something good passed.

At the TRW meeting last week the Assistant Chief, Wildlife Division
Wyoming Game and Fish Department provided facts about silencers and considerations for allowing/not allowing them in WY. 2 people testified in favor of allowing silencers for hunting. The TRW committee directed the Dept to draft legislation allowing the use of silencers for hunting for their consideration at the next TRW mtg at the end of August.

Is there anything that can be done by non-resident hunters who frequent Wyoming to hunt assist in any way?

I think I will buy a suppressor the day this passes

See the latest update in the first post...

is there any Class 3 dealer near Jackson Hole WY? i want to buy a suppressor but no class3 dealer around here, anybody know?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hk401</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is there any Class 3 dealer near Jackson Hole WY? i want to buy a suppressor but no class3 dealer around here, anybody know? </div></div>

Not "near" Jackson, but call Cody at Teel Gun Works in Wheatland at 307-three three one-0049

There are a few on the other side of the mountain here in Idaho but I don't know a thing about crossing state lines.

hope this passes have a quicksand and outbackII that would love to get off the range

All Things Projectile in Powell. I'll vouch for me
smile.gif