• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ATV case for your Tactical Rig? Kolpin 6.0 Review

Darkphage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2008
Orem, Utah
I have been looking for a hard plastic ATV case that would fit a tactical rifle for a while. I don't like leaving my Pelican or Starlight strapped to my ATV! I am too afraid they might walk off!!

Last year I bought Kolpin's 5.0 case, and found it to be too small for a tac rifle. Since then Kolpin has come out with a new 6.0 case, which is a little bigger, and is apparently big enough. They make 2 models the Impact and the transport. This is the Transport Model. The impact is about $50 and the transport runs about $80. The difference is the impact only has a soft very thin liner. The transport comes with a removable soft case. It is a cheap soft case, and might be a little overpriced-- but it makes it much easier to get large rifles in and out.

I tried it on for size -- and found that it fit my TRG 42 with Nightforce 5.5-22 50mm!

I also tried it with my TRG bipod and it wouldn't quite close all the way, as shown in the last pic.

I like that the lid opens via a hinge, so you don't have to remove it entirely to access your rifle.
2epjcj4.jpg

The transport model has a removable soft case that comes out. This is a $30 upgrade from their more basic version, but I think it's worth it. My 5.0 case had a thinner liner (impact liner), and the soft (transfer) case definitely makes it easier to access your gun.
2cmrncy.jpg

My TRG 42 fits all the way into the case -- it was a little tough to zip the internal case all the way.
2mxpxqg.jpg

The case was tight around the Tactical turrets of my Nightforce. The Kolpin could stand to be a little wider up where the optics go. The manufacturer says it will fit a 60mm scope. In my opinion that might be pushing it.
2v0hit4.jpg

I was able to close the case completely -- so it was a success.
2gudqxe.jpg

This is a view of the hard case with my TRG with the Sako bipod attached. It was just barely too big to keep the case from closing. Dang!
25k0p3o.jpg

In summary,

The Kolpin 6.0 wasn't a bad fit. It would be better if the optic's section of the case was a little wider to accommodate a large tactical scope. If the muzzle end was sculpted a little larger a bipod would fit better as well.

For reference a TRG 42 is 49 1/2' long. The Nightforce scopes are about 3 1/2" wide across the windage and parallax knobs. That is roughly equivalent to a 90mm objective. Anything wider would be very difficult to fit.

Just thought I'd share this idea w the Hide,

Happy shooting

Dark

Re: ATV case for your Tactical Rig? Kolpin 6.0 Review

Just an observation. I used to carry my rifle in a case strapped to my atv when I was hunting. I was having a problem with my scope holding zero (it was a leupold vxIII). Once I quit carrying it in a case and slung it on my back I quit having a problem. IMO, even if the case is well padded, the bouncing around being attched to an atv is tough on a scope.

I use storm cases and find that a good strap, cable, and master locks will pretty much prevent any walking off. But I also ride a UTV so I have more points of attachment,

I agree that wearing it or putting in a quality hardcase is the best as far as it not getting beat on the ATV, but there are times when you have limited options. Just hoping to benefit someone else here. Heaven knows I've learned a whole lot more from the hide than I've given back.

Dark