• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Audio linkage to StrelokPro

Conrad101st

Captain
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2009
OK
This is just a fantasy probably but has anybody figured out how to link audio to a ballistic program like StrelokPro to give holds?

Example - Assuming you had set the rifle and cartridge in your application manually and entered the usual weather data (less wind) manually or with Bluetooth, you then say “Siri compute mil holds for 650 yards with 5 degree down slope and 7 mph wind”. It says vertical 3.9 mil, horizontal .7 mil in the applicable units.

The yardage and slope would be ranged by you. You also make the wind call either based on your gauge or best guess and just give the whole or partial value based on blow angle.

Could be wearing ear buds to get the call data, and for some ear protection.

this would be great for a boatload of field uses.

Reactions: RS14
Just a whole lot easier. Sure I make range cards for most given situations like elk hunting where I know the general altitude, slope and temperatures.

And yes you can get real precise if you want to manually load up to the minute data into your iPhone. And yes I preset certain targets in my range fan just like we learned in the army.

All that said, if you want more accurate calls it takes a few seconds to turn on your screen, manually enter the down slope and lasered range. And you have to look down at your device to do it on a potentially moving target in dark timber. This often happens where we sit on ridges and look across big draws or canyons. Can be a booger to get back on the target as it moved in and out of sight.

just think it would be much easier to ask Siri for the hold, while you stay focused on the target and the turrets.

I have no doubt this technique will be developed sooner than later. Lots of shooters stay on the gun while waiting for their partner to call the holds. I’m just saying for hunters it would awesome to basically have a computer replace your spotter. Obviously the only thing it couldn’t do was call your splash and corrections, but it could sure give you the first shot data.

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

Now not only are we too lazy to learn about how our rifle trends, and ballistics in general, but now we are too lazy to even type it into an app.

Ha. ??

Maybe it would work or maybe not. I think it’s kind of a nifty idea.

I gather the new lasers are linked and headed to the point where you laser the target and it links with your kestrel or phone to give you a quick solution with all the variables accounted for.

I’m just pointing out another way to basically do the same thing for a whole lot cheaper (probably), and keep eyes on the target.

You know they used to literally drag chains to survey farm land. Now the surveyor can plot any point within 1/8 inch with his mobile unit and drive stakes. Things get more user friendly.

Reactions: RS14
Ha. ??

Maybe it would work or maybe not. I think it’s kind of a nifty idea.

I gather the new lasers are linked and headed to the point where you laser the target and it links with your kestrel or phone to give you a quick solution with all the variables accounted for.

I’m just pointing out another way to basically do the same thing for a whole lot cheaper (probably), and keep eyes on the target.

You know they used to literally drag chains to survey farm land. Now the surveyor can plot any point within 1/8 inch with his mobile unit and drive stakes. Things get more user friendly.

Hi,

I was following and writing down "outside" the box uses right up until BOLDED ABOVE....

Hoplite Arms is currently involved in the prototype phase of a new ballistic app :) ; I can tell you that there is no way a voice activated app is anywhere in the "cheaper" side of anything.

I think technology will be better suited to transmit firing solution via augmented reality glasses when it comes to field uses; as it would not be dependent on microphones or speakers....

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Following on what Theis said... yeah it would be cheaper :eek::eek:

Silicon Valley Buzz: Apple Paid More Than $200 Million For Siri To Get Into Mobile Search

You can literally say “Siri how far is it to the moon?” And she will give you an audible answer in 1.25 seconds. You see my point. Try it with your ear buds in right now.

I think voice connections to third party apps will not be too far down the road. .

Hi,

Lets see...the "average" app easily cost between 75k-100k dollars. Minimalist voice commands such as "scroll, flip, turn, spin, rotate, recenter, etc) easily add 25k. And that is assuming the user interface lines up and functions with the voice commands.

Until the shooting world is ready to spend about $200 to download a voice activated ballistic app then you are not likely to see one anytime soon.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: LastShot300
No need to make it personal sir. Faster and better accuracy is the goal.

Before law school I was responsible for buying and overhauling CF6 engines off 747 aircraft. I created excel templates linked to real time monetary values obtained via an access database for running cycles and hours for all critical parts and could tell you with a high degree of certainty what the cannibalized value of all the parts was, or in the alternative what the overhauled value was for the entire engine if we repaired it to spec. My boss told me that I figured out how to do in one day what took him 3 weeks before. Shit changes and better methodology produced better results. That’s not lazy.

A voice activated Strelok... wouldn't your commands be "contaminated" by the other shooters firing their weapons? If hunting, wouldn't you scare the game away (unless it is a LR shot)? What if it starts dialing my mother-in-law... or my wife who thinks I'm working? Brain waves... nope - it would have me shooting my own foot!

Reactions: LastShot300
Well I’m mainly shooting by myself when hunting and I don’t need calls within 300 yards so voice contamination shouldn’t be an issue nor should an elk hear it at long range.

But to your point, it would be hard on a firing line no doubt.