• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

auto bolt release mod

budiceale

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2010
new braunfels, tx
howdy folks. been lurking a while but this is my first post. i just bought a ruger 10/22 tactical target. i've always been a bolt action guy(CZ rimfires) but playing with a 10/22 just looked like a lot of fun. my question...i keep reading that people have done a modification to the bolt release so they can just pull back on the held open bolt and it will close. can somebody tell me what i need to do to the factory release to achieve this. i know the auto releases can be bought(i'll eventually buy one) but for now i'd just like to modify the stock release.

thanks for any help

Re: auto bolt release mod

5 minutes with a Dremel and stone. Check Rimfire Central.
Basically, you make the v-notch in the bolt stop look more like an ice cream cone; grind away the point of the v until the top of the hole is slightly domed.
You can manually lock the bolt open, but to close it you just pull back on the charging handle and release.

thanks frog. i looked at RFC last night and didn't see anything but i just had a few minutes. i'll check it out some more. BTW...just like this sight, RFC is a great source of info.

again, thanks

Yep, RFC is the 10/22 owners best friend.

Pic I used when modifying mine:

AutoBoltRelease.jpg

thanks to all for the replies, pictures, and help. the pictures are firewalled here at work so i'll check them out tonight.