• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors auto vs wheel gun, problems at the range yesterday

jayd4wg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2009
Steel City
took a sales client and a couple staff from the office out to Anthony Arms yesterday for a little "team building" and noticed some issues with my own shooting. We had a couple noobies with us, and I spent alot of time coaching them thru their grip and follow thru. We were successful for the first 20 rounds or so in "surprising" each of them with the bang so they were not flinching. They did quite well. Me on the other hand...should have been coached...

Usually I'm a "shoot what fits your hand" kind of guy, and can shoot the snot out of a Walther P99 with the medium palm swell. Yesterday I shot a 92fs and a HK P2000 (both 9mm), and a Ruger GP100 with 38spl loads.

The HK felt the best in my hand, fit really well, and I could not hold a group to save my life. I know it's not the gun - another team member proceeded to put a full clip into a 3" circle (albeit about 3-4 inches left of POA). The Beretta - it fits as well, and I could hold an okay group, kept the hits in the 8,9,10 rings (about 5" total group size).

Then we shoot the wheel gun. The Ruger was a joy to shoot even though it's comfort level was like holding an overgrown watermelon-zucchini hybrid by the neck. I had NO problem putting the 10 ring out on every shot. So accurate in fact that I'd now consider pistol hunting...

So what is it that allows me to have such a drastic difference between the two guns? Initially I am thinking a different grip, but I really concentrated on gripping well. I also think it might have something to do with the overall sight radius between the weapons. the ruger is a good 3" longer than either of the autos, and recoil was also WAY less (heavier gun, lighter load). I dunno...just frustrated with my performance, and thinking I should be carrying a dirty harry revolver around instead of an auto :shrug:

Re: auto vs wheel gun, problems at the range yesterday

Brian Enos calls what you experienced the trick of the day..

In other words shooting the gun that is unfamiliar caused you to concentrate and perform the fundamentals better. You stated you had to work a little harder on grip, which means you also probably took a little more time with trigger control, sight alignment and follow through as well.

it was really frustrating being the teacher, and being outperformed by your pupils. I am in no way the expert, I just happened to be one of the more experienced yesterday. Still...that Ruger was smooth as silk, and the trigger was heavenly. I'm going back out there to run some full bore .357 loads in one to see if the recoil would be worth the difference.

one of my fav handgun loads has always been a .38 with 2 grains unique and inverted wadcutters. they make NASTY holes.

Were you shooting the revolver double action, or were you thumbcocking the hammer before you pulled the trigger?

both. Even in D/A, the ruger was a fine gun to shoot. Might be because this particular one has had THOUSANDS of rounds thru it (rental gun at a fairly busy range in Pittsburgh)...

Well it sounds like the autos you shot were either DA only like the walther, or DA/SA 92fs and HK. The revovler was also DA/SA but Your never really surprised by when it goes off. How do you shoot with a 1911? Triggers can make all the difference in a pistol in My opinion. The revolver's trigger doesn't require a different grip for either DA/SA unlike any auto. If you haven't shot a 1911 try one next time if you can. Then compare them. However revolvers are inherintly more accurate. The barrel never moves. Me personally I love the 1911, can deal with other autos, and like revolvers.

Very different grip angles and recoil characteristics on those. Sounds like you just need more range time.