• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Autodod resize case before trimming or after

bunny too

Just a cook
Minuteman
May 5, 2020
Wyoming
Howdy folks,
Just ordered an Autodod and was wondering if I should do my standard case prep (body size, neck size with bushing then mandrel) before trimming the neck thickness or just lathe the neck on the case right after shooting then do my prep? What would the pro's and cons be? Any advice or opinions would be appreciated!
Regards,
b

(body size, neck size with bushing then mandrel)
I have nothing to contribute to this thread other than I feel better now that I'm not the only person whose FL sizing methodology has evolved into separate body and neck operations instead of combined ones. It's just so much nicer not having to run a bunch of already FL sized big magnum cases back through a Redding S die just to re-size the neck OD.

Reactions: bunny too
The case is typically the most concentric after firing (as long as they necks aren’t dinged up).

Send a fired case Bryan and have him make a case holder for it.

Thank you, will do!

I usually turn virgin brass after running a mandrel.

Same thing with fired. I use the smallest mandrel that will have the least chance of throwing off the concentricity while also making the necks the same ID.

The way the idod holds cases without a mandrel, the more concentric, the less you have to cut out of the neck wall to achieve a clean inside and outside cut.

Also, you may already know, but the IDOD is not the tool of you want to cut .0005 or any type of skim turning. You’ll usually be taking off around .002 minimum depending on concentricity and how far out the holder the brass protrudes.