• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Automatic Decapping Machine

DeathBeforeDismount

Midpack Mafia
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2021
IN YOUR HEAD
Anyone have experience with the Davinci Machine? Thinking of running one with a Dillion casefeeder for auto depriming.

Reactions: Leadpilot
This is the other machine I am looking at:

Holy Crap ... you've gotta (a) have a ton of spent cases, and (b) really HATE decapping ... to throw $1,000 at this problem. Good on ya if you've got the spare cash to do that.

I have only ever used treated corn cob or crushed walnut media in vibratory tumblers for cleaning brass and niether really cleans out primer pockets completely.
Im sure the wet rotary tumblers with stainless pins do a fine job at cleaning the pockets and the automated decapping tool you refferenced work great for a more commercial or very high volume reloader its just not very practical for the vast majority of reloaders.
Even after researching the wet tumble sets i still prefer the walnut or treated corn cob media, it does add a couple of extra steps but so does wet tumbling.
I really dont find running brass through the press with a dedicated decap die cumbersome but i dont load on a very large or commercial scale wich seems to be tje direction you are going.

Holy Crap ... you've gotta (a) have a ton of spent cases, and (b) really HATE decapping ... to throw $1,000 at this problem. Good on ya if you've got the spare cash to do that.
Really hate decapping. Its the slowest and most painful part of my reloading process. Currently using a Harvey Deprimer and don't want to get dirty and soot all over my bench/presses.

I tend to do them in 500-700 round batches so it makes sense to make it easier/faster.

Like the AMP, henderson, ect; these are lifetime purchases. If I get 20-30 years out of it, its well worth the money in time savings and less headaches.

I have only ever used treated corn cob or crushed walnut media in vibratory tumblers for cleaning brass and niether really cleans out primer pockets completely.
Im sure the wet rotary tumblers with stainless pins do a fine job at cleaning the pockets and the automated decapping tool you refferenced work great for a more commercial or very high volume reloader its just not very practical for the vast majority of reloaders.
Even after researching the wet tumble sets i still prefer the walnut or treated corn cob media, it does add a couple of extra steps but so does wet tumbling.
I really dont find running brass through the press with a dedicated decap die cumbersome but i dont load on a very large or commercial scale wich seems to be tje direction you are going.
You dont need to clean primer pockets out perfect. Data shows it makes no real difference.

Using DRY media is a waste of time and effort. Using Steel pins is dumb and prone to peening necks. Wet tumbling with a good brass cleaner with the primers out for about 15-20 minutes is the fastest, cheapest, cleanest and easiest method I have found so far. Do it one more time after sizing to clean off lube and any brass shavings and you are gucci.

I cannot understand why people still use dry media. Its such a pain in the ass and time waster.

Reactions: XLR308
Like i said im not in any hurry and dont load in big volumes, most i load at any given time is rarely over 200 rounds of rifle brass.
But most of the time brass has allready been decaped, cleaned, sized and set aside in MTM 100 count boxes as i tend to mainly buy Lapua 100 count boxes in lots big enough for the life of the barrel.
I might try the wet cleaning method you suggested at some point im just not set up for it at the moment.
Just out of curiosity are you loading in high volume or semi commercial, i have been reading your posts and seem you are very geared towards automation and a less hands on approach.

Edit: Just read your above post after writing this, you definitely load a much higher volume than me, and yes i have processed 700-1000 pieces of brass mainly 5.56 and pistol brass all at once and it does suck with the primary methods and tooling i use.

Last edited:
No just loading for myself. Over the years have been refining the methods to make it more efficient/accurate/time saving. Spent alot of money to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Reloading is not fun and a chore. Anything that can make it easier is a win.

Really hate decapping. Its the slowest and most painful part of my reloading process. Currently using a Harvey Deprimer and don't want to get dirty and soot all over my bench/presses.

I tend to do them in 500-700 round batches so it makes sense to make it easier/faster.

Like the AMP, henderson, ect; these are lifetime purchases. If I get 20-30 years out of it, its well worth the money in time savings and less headaches.
I use AMP (Annealer and Press), and love my Henderson ... so that totally makes sense. Never really minded decapping though, and my volumes are low(ish). Also ... no more room on the bench for a new gadget, so there's that too.

No just loading for myself. Over the years have been refining the methods to make it more efficient/accurate/time saving. Spent alot of money to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Reloading is not fun and a chore. Anything that can make it easier is a win.
I think im the weirdo or masochis in that camp as i do actually enjoy reloading but dont do it in large volume.
If i did it might shift that enjoyment to find a more automated and expedient less labor intensive process.

If I were processing that many at once I would just use the dies built in decapper. Integrate the process entirely into the sizing die and then let the second clean do em since you wet wash em.
Nope. Massive mess and I will clean before sizing anyway. You will shit up your dies and workstation doing that.

You dont want to resize dirty brass.

I bought the one from Rollsizer, works great! You will need drop tubes & a pack of spare decapping pins. I bought the creedmore sports amp annealer stand kit to mount my dillon case feeder. Also bought the rollsizer from them. Great company to work with!

Maybe a bit excessive, but for rounds that really count (PRS rifle and hunting rounds) I

Give the brass a thorough cleaning in walnut shell
Anneal (every third firing)
Resize and de-prime the brass
Tumble again in walnut to remove die lube (about an hour)
run cases through decapping die, clean primer pockets, and give a light debur on the case mouths
Prime on RCBS Automatic Priming machine (which is anything but automatic but works great)
Charge and seat bullets.

Works for me.

For 9mm, 38/357, 44mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, .221 fireball, 7TCU all get loaded on progressive’s.
For .22LR, well they get loaded at the loading factory.

As one fellow stated, you have to need to decap a bunch of cases to need a automatic decapping machine.

Don't think you could use a mandrel die. It uses a "special" FW Arms decapping die made for the rollsizer decapping machine. You need to use the small decapping pins for it. You will need a bicycle grease pump to grease the linkage. Already decapped about 3/4 of a windshield washer jug with mine & no issues. Use the jug to catch primers from its tube. Of course when my friends realized i had this, they brought over their brass to decap.