• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Automatic Powder Measures - Any favourites?

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2009
Cheshire, England
Am looking to speed up the reloading process and am looking to buy an automatic powder dispenser. Its gotta be quick (ish) and very accurate (same as hand weigh the charges on a balance beam scale). We have very few reloaders in our UK club so I dont have anyone in particular to bounce ideas of particularly.

RCBS and Lyman both have their products. Is there anything else worth looking at (I need to be able to get it in England or get it shipped across)if you have an opinion on it give us a shout if you have had any negative issues again please let me know. More time in the reloading room is less trigger time on the ground!

RB

Re: Automatic Powder Measures - Any favourites?

The RCBS Chargemaster is pretty good for +/- .1 of a grain. I use one for basic reloading. I am just getting set up using an Acculab VIC-123 scale. This is a digital scale sensitive to .02 grains. I throw a charge in a pan with a simple powder thrower (dumper), and transfer to the scale and trickle the rest of the charge. This is faster than the chargemaster, and highly more accurate.

oh good god..........................................

must i post THE picture again............!!

Search the term chargemaster and you'll see it's the favorite (in the $300 range Boltripper).

I've got 2, very happy with them both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The RCBS Chargemaster is pretty good for +/- .1 of a grain. I use one for basic reloading. I am just getting set up using an Acculab VIC-123 scale. This is a digital scale sensitive to .02 grains. I throw a charge in a pan with a simple powder thrower (dumper), and transfer to the scale and trickle the rest of the charge. This is faster than the chargemaster, and highly more accurate. </div></div>

Chad, how IS the Acculab in actual use? Reason I'm asking is because of this here:

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2007/07/28/advice-for-acculab-123-scale-users/

BR, post the magic genie pics all ya want. That thing is COOL man!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh good god..........................................

must i post THE picture again............!! </div></div>

Picture?

OHHHHH!! I've been reloading my long range rnds for so long on my std RCBS 10/10 scale one grain at a time dam near. I recently broke down and decided to try an auto measurer.

I went with the Redding 3BR, bench rest model. I have to say, I have had to tweak and tweak for weeks now. It seemed several small querks tend to change the results of the powder throws.

The separation baffle they give you in it got filed under garbage, as it seemed to totally vary the amount of powder charged. It also has a small lock screw on the left side which locks the caliper adjusting nut; that also had an adverse affect on the charge size; for the life of me, I cannot figure that one out at all. Also, allowing the powder hopper to fall below 3/4 full also changed the charge.

Last but not least; the way you manipulate the handle to throw the charge also has a great affect. I found throwing the handle slowly will drop a short charge every single time.

So, with all that I have spent literal weeks in front of my bench dropping every charge, and then weighing it as well in the scale to make sure. Until I worked through all the pre-mentioned anomalies, and then found my rythem on manipulating the handle, I couldnt get 50% accuracy.
Now, after all that, I am getting far better charge weight accuracy; but I dont feel I can rely on it well enough to just drop each charge directly into the shells and move on. I still feel I have to weigh each charge before filling the case. It is a bit faster still; but so far not as advertised.

My guess would be if Redding didnt get it right with their so called Bench Rest quality tool, how poor is the RCBS and other lesser versions?

I've been using the RCBS Chargemaster for a couple of years now and I like it just fine. it's like anything else mechanical in this world, you need to use it for a bit to figure it out and get comfortable with it. A few people have reported issues with overcharging at times, when the dispenser drops an extra .1 or .2 grain. Some just block part of the filling hole in the tube. I do nothing. I load in small batches, usually 100 rounds at one sitting. Last week, I counted 3 times when the dispenser went over the target charge, all by .1 grain. I simply lift the pan and drop a few grains into a little cup and put the pan back in. It is getting so that I seldom have to trickle up anymore.

I find the chargemaster to be very consistent and have discovered that 3 kernels of Varget equal .1 grain. I don't know that I need to be more accurate than within 3 kernels of powder.

As for the speed, by the time I have tapped the powder down, seated the bullet, checked the finished cartridge in a guage, placed it in the box and picked up another one and brushed its neck, the chargemaster has already beeped at me and is displaying the dispensed charge weight. I don't need any faster.

Quick Measure is excellent virtually as good as weighing all your throws.

I USED MY RCBS FOR 2 YEARS, IT BROKE, I SENT IT TO THEM ANDTHEY SENT ME A NEW ONE.
I LOVE MINE. IT WILL SHOW THE WEIGHT THEN GIVE YOU THE ROUND COUNT ND THEN THE WEIGHT AGAIN.

just sent mine back to rcbs after having it over 3 years. The scale was acting goofy. I emailed them and they said pack it up, send it back and they will ship a new one that has been checked for accuracy no questions asked. Where else can you have an electronic that long and have a company back it up? RCBS is #1 in my book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh good god..........................................

must i post THE picture again............!! </div></div>

THE picture please...

Another vote for the Lyman 1200, I've got a couple of them. Have not had any issues.