• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Automatically deburring your brass (Deburring Machine)

Recon_Scout

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2020
Wanted to share a prototype I'm working on as well as feel the temperature of the people here about desire for such a device:

As many of you I have struggled with burrs after Dillon RT1500 (or RT1200) processes and trims my brass. I always had a 3 stage process (2 of the stages on Dillon 750):

Toolhead 1:
Station 1: Decap Die
Station 4: Dillon Size/Trim Die + RT1500

After processing the brass what I have found is due to lack of central neck expansion mandrel on Dillon size/trim die, brass has an undersized neck, in addition to it some of the brass had significant burrs after trimmer was done with it. So I added a second stage/toolhead after tumbling the brass to remove lube (which then adds corm/walnut media to the flash hole)

Toolhead 2:
Station 1: Decap Die (Removes potential media stuck in the hole)
Station 3: Lee collet neck sizing die (Set the neck to the right size)

At the end I still had the burrs to contend with and had to deburr as off press operation.

However I really liked the design of Lee Quick Trim dies and wanted to see if I can use the trimmer in an automatic fashion. I'm posting the video of the prototype which piggybacks on the trimmer body and uses Lee quick trim die to do deburring only.

Obviously it works for me and my process :) but would anyone here be interested in this setup if I were to sell it at $160 + shipping?

IMG_1121.jpeg

Last edited:
Neat idea. Where do the shavings end up, in the case?

The amount of shaving produced is very small (is it’s deburring only and not actually trimming) most of them fall into the case, small amount gathers in the die, after processing 300-400 cases I had to clean the inside of the die.

Reactions: 6.5SH
The amount of shaving produced is very small (is it’s deburring only and not actually trimming) most of them fall into the case, small amount gathers in the die, after processing 300-400 cases I had to clean the inside of the die.
First of all you failed to show the finished product.
Secondly my Dillon RT-1200 leaves a lot cleaner cut so you may need to replace or rotate your cutter.
Lastly I own several Lee quick trim dies and unless I am missing something there is absolutely no way it will leave a bevel the way a hand deburring tool or a 3 way cutter such as the Giraud or RCBS 3 way cutter can do.

Just trying to give constructive criticism to improve you product.

Reactions: simonp
Regardless of the cut quality and whether you have a new blade, the inside edge will have a sharp square shoulder.

The key behind only deburring using Lee Quick Trim is not to let the cutter engage brass only the spring mounted deburring blades.

Here is a picture of the finished product

IMG_1121.jpeg

My issue with the Rapid Trim is not burrs the carbide leaves too square a cur with no lead in for the bullet.

My carbide cuts way better than yours look, any chance your carbide has been run into the steel top of the trim die?

My neck expender helps this some but I still run each piece of brass on a hornady inner/outer chamfer tool and it is absolutely the suckiest part of brass prep.

Any metal shaving operation is followed by a trip in corn cob to shake it out.

My issue with the Rapid Trim is not burrs the carbide leaves too square a cur with no lead in for the bullet.

My carbide cuts way better than yours look, any chance your carbide has been run into the steel top of the trim die?

My neck expender helps this some but I still run each piece of brass on a hornady inner/outer chamfer tool and it is absolutely the suckiest part of brass prep.

Any metal shaving operation is followed by a trip in corn cob to shake it out.
The brass with shavings shown is an extreme example, most don’t look like that but the square shoulder is always a problem.

I wanted to avoid hand chamfering the brass which was my previous process (seems like your as well) hence the device.

Reactions: pmclaine
Doing both trimming and deburring in the same machine cycle would be more efficient. If your motor of choice or something similar was available with an offset shaft so both it and the RT motor could fit on the toolhead at the same time you'd really have something here.

Such an arrangement would likely fit a 550 toolhead as well if the primer tube was removed and the trim die put on station 2.

Doing both trimming and deburring in the same machine cycle would be more efficient. If your motor of choice or something similar was available with an offset shaft so both it and the RT motor could fit on the toolhead at the same time you'd really have something here.

Such an arrangement would likely fit a 550 toolhead as well if the primer tube was removed and the trim die put on station 2.
I though about it, but the issue becomes with a lubed case (ie in the station after RT1500) Lee Trim die is designed to work via polymer friction so lubed case would quickly make the polymer ring slip. So case by nature has to be "dry"

Reactions: 6.5SH