• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Automobile paint protection film

Animal357

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Aug 18, 2020
    Buying a Toyota and they offer a paint protection film for the front. Its expensive and wondering if its worth it? Does it work and how long will it last?

If it's the clear 3M stuff it's pretty spanky.
    Self healing (scratches disappear for the most part) and lasts a very long time.
    No way to really know how long it lasts tho....only been out maybe 10-15 years.
    The only time I've seen it fail is either by wreck or getting way too hot (like 300 degrees or so from nearby welding or campfire).
    It's perfect for areas that will see rock and sand chipping from stuff kicked up by the road.

Reactions: SBRSarge
    You can buy it and apply yourself for $300-400. Not too hard. Not sure what dealers are charging.
    Ebay has cuts to.match your car.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    I’ve got it on my 2011 tundra.

So far, so good and I’m at 159k miles.

My truck also has it along the bottom of the door and box sides.

Where the protective liner isn’t, has pin head size rust marks everywhere.

I’ve had it on my Titan since 2014. Still going strong.

I’d ask around local shops that do it to get price quotes. Might be able to get it done cheaper than from the dealership.

I'm not sure what product they use but PPF is pretty expensive in general. I have factory applied PPF from Toyota on parts of my Tacoma - it has faded to have a dull yellowish tint after 3-4 years. On white paint it's fairly noticeable.

Still worth it for the protection, however.

edit: to clarify, the stuff I have is thick for rock chip protection around wheel wells, etc... may not be the same as a thinner film on the front of a nicer car.

Last edited:
    Coming from a autobody tech it helps considerably. I peel it off part that need fixed and the finish is brand new underneath. The teflon like paint treatments also work well but can be expensive

Reactions: Huskydriver
    I took it off of the only vehicle we have bought that had it...a used 2011 Tacoma. At the time it was 7 years old and you could clearly see the outline of crud around it and it was yellowing. Our vehicles are considered tools anyway. I expect them to age, chip and show paint wear over time.

It's a car and all you're gonna do with it is drive yourself back-and-forth to work.
    The less money you spend on a car the better.
    Keep up with the maintenance and drive it until every moving part is completely wore out.

The ppf for the front is worth it. I would find out what brand it is tho and see if their is an xpel brand installer near you. If it's just the front, I bet it's cheaper and I would trust xpel over a dealer offering.

Does it help protect from sun damage at all?

Thank you,
    MrSmith

Does it help protect from sun damage at all?
    Thank you,
    MrSmith
    • Sun/ultraviolet (UV) damage: Leaving your car to bake in the sun opens it up to fading and cracking from the heat and UV rays. It could also yellow over time, which most PPF protects from. If you live in a sunny area, like the American Southwest, your car is particularly vulnerable to the effects of UV radiation. You can get a leg up on these effects by parking and storing your car in the shade, but PPF provides excellent UV protection.
    You would need to get the full hood/panel coverage if you are worried about that otherwise you'd have uneven paint damage.
    Keep it waxed periodically, and it shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: MrSmith
    Unless they have one that prevents jack-asses at the store from dinging the sides of the vehicle with swinging doors, I'd call any paint treatment a waste of money.

Reactions: AngryKoala
    3m stuff is awesome, had it on my car for 15 years and even though it looks a little beat up, no holes through it

I buy it off ebay and install myself, take some time and practice to get it right, but yes it does work

tenor.gif

• Haha
    Reactions: Aftermath
    I’ve had the 3M PPF years ago and now Xpel PPF and I love the Xpel product it’s great stuff. It doesn’t fade and offers great paint protection against rock chips/bugs however it is pricey.

How easy is it to install myself?
    Can you window tint a curved piece of rear glass?

If so, it’s E A S Y

If not, you are more than likely going to stick it to itself, stick it to al the dirt, put it on crooked, have creases, shrink it like shit and basically look like beat shit.

For me, it’s worth the time ..but it took a few attempts to get “okay-ish” and even longer to get “good”

I won’t even install them for friends. Cause it’s NOT easy and I need it to be PERFECTLY perfect.

Hardest part is the rear view mirrors. Heat gun is your friend but also your worst enemy.

If it's the Zurich brand, I had it on my Tacoma. The only good part is the warranty when the "protection" doesn't work. For the application the exterior is clay barred then supposedly they put an extra clear coat on. I will say it was way slicker than before applying. I don't think it really did anything. Second Tacoma I didn't buy the protection......wish I had just for the warranty though.

I had the entire front PPF’d and absolutely love it and worth every penny. Protects against rock chips etc…. I didn’t do the windshield and two weeks after getting the PPF and Ceramic coating, took a rock on the windshield and put a dime sized shiner in the lower right….

If you want to protect your car or truck, it’s worth it.

5E0F1402-C464-4A7C-B635-319E9859B999.jpeg

Reactions: JR_77 and NoDopes
    Find a good shop local to you that does work with high end cars and let them handle it. They will correct any paint defects, polish and put on high quality film for likely cheaper than what you're going to pay at the dealer. They are money well spent when done right and using components/companies that stand by their products...knowing how crappy most dealer body guys are that do the add on sealers, polish, coatings and wraps I'd run the other way as fast as I can.

If you want to do it yourself university of youtube is your friend. It can be done at home for sure to save a few bucks and then if it doesn't turn out good you can take it somewhere to be done professionally.

Got it on my truck since 2015 and it still looks good. More recently, we had it put on my wife’s roadster and SUV.

Make sure it is either xpel or 3M.

And shop the local places to hopefully find a better price.

I just bought the Misses a new car, had the windows tinted to 35% and had SunTek ceramic put on the whole nose of the car, front bumper, headlights, hood, and front fenders to the doors, so no seems to be seen, side view mirrors and lower rear fenders. Took two days but a great job, cannot tell it is there. My SIL has a partial and then the rest of his ceramic coated, I can see his seems if I look carefully, it is 4 years old.

First timer on this, we will see.

Buying a Toyota and they offer a paint protection film for the front. Its expensive and wondering if its worth it? Does it work and how long will it last?
    Are you talking about Toyota’s accessory PPF or is this something aftermarket the dealer is selling?

Make sure you know what’s being protected, it’s usually a partial hood, front bumper, mirrors and the cups behind the door handles.

I had the entire hood, front grille and bumper, corners of the fenders, headlights, fog lights, mirrors, a pillars and the header between the windshield and sunroof done plus the top of the rear bumper below the liftgate.

You have to take care of the film like you would the paint, remove bird turds and bugs ASAP and it‘ll still tear if a big enough rock hits it but I would not own another vehicle without it. I would recommend doing the entire hood and have them wrap the edges.

You can buy film for the windshield, it’s expensive and not recommended for daily drivers but the guys that track their Porsche or Ferrari love the windshield protection.

The 3M pro can be lifted and reworked for a period.
    I did a car first time from just YouTube and it's ok. Few dust particles got under and a few tiny air bubbles I didn't notice. Needed better light and dust free env for better results.
    If you want a "perfect" install, you be paying, but it's there. I read reviews of a few local places and I probably did better than some.