• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Autotrickler FX-120i Major Drift

Yankee88

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2012
Ca.
I have a Autotrickler V3 with an FX-120i scale that drifts up pretty bad. If I just turn the scale on and let it sit there (after doing a cal and before it), it will keep jumping up by .02 grns. After about 30 minutes it will be at almost a full 1 grn added on there. I am in an enclosed room, with no exposure to an air vent or windows, on a level surface, and connected to a power conditioner (although a cheap one). Ive seen some people mention problems like this in the past here, but not as bad. I also tried some of their solutions to address my problem but it hasn't resolved the problem. Any ideas what's going on?

Does it drift when you are using it though?
Is it the 0 that drifts or the indicated weight?
When you take the weight off and put it back on does it read properly again?

Ive noticed that if I just let it sit there it will drift but when actually using it its fine.

Does it drift when you are using it though?
Is it the 0 that drifts or the indicated weight?
When you take the weight off and put it back on does it read properly again?

Ive noticed that if I just let it sit there it will drift but when actually using it its fine.
Yes, it drifts during use as well.

So if you close all the wind guard sides and let it sit will it still drift?
When you say it is drifting, is it drifting with nothing on the pan?

Try moving it to another location and outlet and see if it still drifts.
If it still has issues try removing the auto trickler setup and setting it back to normal operation and see if if the drift stops.

Yes, it will drift without the cup and with the cup. I’ve changed outlets. Can’t really move locations, as the rest of the house is terrorized by toddler.

I will try resetting the settings, because I can’t figure out why it does this for the life of me. It’s really weird it will just keep going up.

The conditioner I use. My scale will drift while not being used but haven't noticed what you're describing. I have heard that different lighting/bulbs will affect.

Temperature seems to affect mine. I will have it zeroed in the morning and go back in the afternoon and it reads .06 or .08 gr

Some reasonable suggestions in this video. I too had drift issues early on, but properly grounding the instrument seemed to fix it.

Reactions: E-Tool
This will be my next major purchase so I'm interested in the issue. Are these sensitive to fluorescent lights? I know where I live at the moment the utility company is dumping 124 VAC RMS so a conditioner will definitely be on my shopping list too. This house does seem to have a helluva ground array however.

Reactions: E-Tool
I let mine "warm up" for 2 hours before I use it. Turn it on. Go do something else for a bit.. come back and it Might go up .06 in that time. Then I calibrate it. Zero. And no issues.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
This will be my next major purchase so I'm interested in the issue.

FWIW, the FX120i doesn't drift anything like the wide variety of budget electronic scales out there. Up until this year I used quite a few different e-scales and could never reliably use them for precision because of the unreliable drift (among other things). For that reason, I spent over 10 years using them (or Lee scoops) as a coarse initial weigh that I would precision trickle-up on a beam scale.

The FX120i is insanely fast, precise and reliable - so it's very much a worthy investment, in my opinion. My drift problem was minor, only occurring with prolonged use. Over time I took a number of steps beyond just leveling the unit that mitigated the problem significantly, but grounding seemed to be the final step that solved it and I haven't seen any drift since July.

Most important leave the scale in standby mode when not in use. Warm up the scale before use. 3 sides need to be enclosed. No wind or drafts. Try to pu the scale on its own outlet. Try to get any wires not associated with the scale away from the scale. Eliminate all electrical interference possibilities.

Most important leave the scale in standby mode when not in use. Warm up the scale before use. 3 sides need to be enclosed. No wind or drafts. Try to pu the scale on its own outlet. Try to get any wires not associated with the scale away from the scale. Eliminate all electrical interference possibilities.
I’ll try that. The videos I saw said to unplug when not in use. Something to do with the scales memory and being inconsistent due to so many inputs over time.Couldn’t hurt to try something different.

The conditioner I use. My scale will drift while not being used but haven't noticed what you're describing. I have heard that different lighting/bulbs will affect.

You can change out the old Florescent bulbs with LED ballast bypass bulbs which means you cut the ballast out of the lighting circuit completely and use line voltage to power the new LED bulb. I know this helped with my Chargemaster

tuck the edge of a dryer sheet under the lid and let it drape down the back of the machine.
that solved mine, no problems after that

I had issues with mine drifting during use even using a conditioner. My cure was to run a dedicated plug for it on its own circuit and I use a dryer sheet and rub the cup on it between each fill and no longer have any drifting issues.

Reactions: Dogtown
I've never thought about the dryer sheet method, but it actually makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: needham

Attachments

• 20201111_175848.jpg
    20201111_175848.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 227
Reactions: Yankee88
Not sure I'd be parking a $500 lab grade scale next to a power strip...just makes me cringe a bit.... 😎

Reactions: needham
@Yankee88 are you using the power supply that ships with the scale or the V3? I am only at the rim of this rabbit hole, myself, but consider looking at Zero Tracking. Pg. 41, and 37 in my manual.

yea, i never turn mine off. If it drifts, its .02 and back down to 0.0

Not sure I'd be parking a $500 lab grade scale next to a power strip...just makes me cringe a bit.... 😎

you're probably right.
I think I just count myself as lucky and keep loading issue free (so far)

or maybe the dryer sheet has magical powers, LOL

• Haha
Reactions: MarinePMI
Crikey!
That’s a lot of faffing about, not to mention a kidney bruising investment, just to weigh your powder out quicker than before. Rush, rush, rush!
Slow down guys, take your time and take pleasure from your art.
I still use my trusty RCBS 505 beam scale for my match loads, check weighing 10% with my lab scales.
And when I use my battery powered (so no power stability issues) Tree 123 Lab scales to check weigh against my 505 results, I always marvel at just how good traditional (and well made) beam scales are.
I’m in no hurry to get my 375CT powder weighed.
Granted, if I’m launching in excess of 250 rounds a month in competition, I’d be looking at a powder thrower/scale combo, but for something so essential as getting your powder weight right, I can’t help feeing that the KISS principle applies here.

Crikey!
That’s a lot of faffing about, not to mention a kidney bruising investment, just to weigh your powder out quicker than before. Rush, rush, rush!
I still use my trusty RCBS 505 beam scale for my match loads, check weighing 10% with my lab scales.
And when I use my battery powered (so no power stability issues) Tree 123 Lab scales to check weigh against my 505 results, I always marvel at just how good traditional (and well made) beam scales are.
Granted, if I’m launching in excess of 250 rounds a month in competition, I’d be looking at a powder thrower/scale combo, but for something so essential as getting your powder weight right, I can’t help feeing that the KISS principle applies here.

Ummm...most two day matches are 250 rds. I used to easily shoot more than 250rds a month...

Crikey!
Screw reloading... I freaking hate to reloading...I don't shoot to reload...I reload out of neccesity.

Also yea... Most us shooting matches expend thousands of rounds a year...ain't nobody got time for that shit throwing by hand

Then a trusty beam scale is not for you then sir.
Here in Blighty (UK) we don’t have the opportunity to put that many rounds down range.
The point I’m making is that a complicated set up such as the venerable V3 looks like it’s adding more problems to an already complicated process.

• Haha
Reactions: McMillan
Quick update,

Upgraded my power conditioner to a Furman AC-215A, got an anti static mat. Most of the drift is gone now. I’ll see +/-.02 grains every so often. I’ll see the occasional +/-.04 grains but it will usually settle back down.

I left it on for about 2 days to see how much it would drift and it was only about .1 grains as opposed to the almost .3 grains it would drift before the uprgrades.

Reactions: HemiPowrd
Crikey!
If I did it your way Many weeks of the year I would need to spend 24-36 hours a week reloading. That wouldnt leave me much time for shooting or sleeping

Recently bought the Area419 lid and noticed when I put the lid on the scale it went to -0.12. Put the lid that came with it and no change. So I wiped the 419 lid with a dryer sheet and the scale showed half the change (-0.06). I didn’t like all the smudges from the dryer sheet so I washed it with some dawn and let dry. Now it doesn’t change the scale at all.
Is the people that have problems with drift using the factory lid or an aftermarket?

Do these scales have a warranty?

Last edited:
Cell phone proximity can also affect the "drift" of some balances as well.

Cell phone proximity can also affect the "drift" of some balances as well.
It doesn't seem to with mine. I was worried about that untill I got the v3 update and had to use the Bluetooth. I also have a bank of 6 fluros above it with no issue

Reactions: smoooth1
I don’t think phones affect the fx120i like most other cheaper scales.

I am currently using an A&D HR200 analytical balance and it doesn’t seem to be affected by my phone, but my old Pact (RCBS) will go crazy when the phone is nearby. These are the only digital scales I own, but wanted to share the information as you just never know how another model or brand may react.

I, too, have a fluorescent bank above my bench, as do (or did) most laboratories.
Humidity, or lack there of, seems to be the biggest problem due to the increased static electricity.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
I have had success using a 'Damp' microfiber cloth to wipe down the wind shield plastic panels to eliminate static . It does suggest this in the A&D manual for when the scale gives erratic readings.

I say use a microfiber cloth so it doesn't leave streaks on the plastic panels.

Reactions: OneMoreNoMore
I have a Autotrickler V3 with an FX-120i scale that drifts up pretty bad. If I just turn the scale on and let it sit there (after doing a cal and before it), it will keep jumping up by .02 grns. After about 30 minutes it will be at almost a full 1 grn added on there. I am in an enclosed room, with no exposure to an air vent or windows, on a level surface, and connected to a power conditioner (although a cheap one). Ive seen some people mention problems like this in the past here, but not as bad. I also tried some of their solutions to address my problem but it hasn't resolved the problem. Any ideas what's going on?
I have a Sartorius 213-1s scale - similar to yours. The instructions say:

Select the right setup location:
– Set up the device on a stable, even surface that is not exposed to vibrations
(e.g., weighing stone).
– Maintain free access to the device at all times.
Choose a location that is not subject to the following negative influences:
– Heat (heater or direct sunlight)
– Drafts from open windows, AC systems, and doors
– Vibrations during weighing
– Heavy traffic areas (personnel)
– Excessive moisture
– Electromagnetic fields

Warm-up Time
To ensure accurate results are delivered, the balance must warm up for at least
30 minutes after initial connection to the power supply.
Only after this time will the device have reached the required operating
temperature

I move my scale from a storage shelf to a metal table covered with a rubber pad, level, it, plug in Adam's toys, and start weighing. I usually start using it right away. Sometimes I notice a little instability. That is, when I set the empty cup on the scale, it should go to zero and that should trigger the throw. Sometimes I have to wait for a few seconds (not more than 5 seconds) for it to get to zero. When it is warmed up, it snaps right to zero. A couple times I had to rezero it - really rare.

I am building a new space for reloading. I plan to purchase a nice piece of white countertop - quartz or something similar that conducts electricity to eliminate static (white so I can see spilled powder). I plan to put that chunk of countertop onto a dedicated table. I do not use any line conditioning. The scale wants 15 VDC, plus or minus 5%. Their wall wart makes really good power so I will probably use that. I may leave it plugged in all the time.