• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Autotrickler Fx120 Question- Changing Powders?

brado16

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
Northern WI USA
Looking to dive into the work of the autotrickler/FX120 but have a question for those who are using them.

How big of a deal is it to switch between powders?

Is it a big deal as far as manual adjustments from say H1000 and RL26 to XBR8202 or Magpro?

I load several different ball and stick powders and can bounce around between powders throughout one reloading session. Currently using CM 1500 and I just empty the powder, refill with new poweder, and then set new traget weight and go when switching powders. The Autotrickler appears to have a few more steps and adjustmetns with the ram in front and lever in back to fine tune, just wondering how much "tinckering" is needed. Is there a way to "save" or set presets for each powder type on the autotrickler?

You do the same thing in the auto throw only you have the hopper and the trickler both to empty. Its not bad.

I know that around a 2 on the throw gauge micrometer is for my 223, about a 3 is for my dasher, around a 4 is my creeds etc and a 5-6 is for a 30-06 just like every powder throw on earth. You can cycle the throw manually and... idk, people say it a pain but I find it so easy. Just takes a couple minutes of fiddling and youll figure it out right away.

What ever little time loss you have in that adjustment for a new powder (45 seconds maybe total once you have used it) will more than be made up for in the speed and accuracy improvements of the throws.

It is a straight forward operation to change powers.
1. Close the powder flow on the hopper.
2. Cycle the auto throw a couple of times to get all the powder out.
3. dump the powder from the trickler back into the powder can.
4. Adjust the powder throw mic to the desired amount that is close to your charge weight. (I mark mine with different colored marks so that I can quickly adjust to my different powder weights)
5. Fill up the hopper and turn to open the powder release then fill the trickler with new powder.
6. Set the charge weight either via the app or manually on the pre ver 3 and you are good to go.

The whole process takes about 4-5 min.

-BB

Reactions: brado16
Thanks for the responses guys. Sounds like the numbers on the powder throw mic are the "presets" if you will. Sounds easier than I was thinking it would be, thanks for confirming!

First, are you asking about an Autotrickler or an AutoThrow. If an AutoTrickler read below. If an AutoThrow, ignore my reply.

Going to make an assumption here, you are also using an A&D FX120i scale? If so, when you are finished loading with a particular powder press the "mode"button which will stop the scale from asking the trickler for powder.
Pull the trickler away from the scale and tip it up so the trickler tube is upward while emptying the hopper into a container, then tilt the trickler so the tube empties into the container. Go back and verify that the hopper and tube are empty. Set the trickler down and fill it with the powder needed for the next reloading session and slide it into place above the pan on the scale.
At first you will dump some powder while emptying the trickler but you will soon learn the drill necessary to do a dump without dropping a kernel and will be doing so about as quickly as reading this reply.
Enjoy your AutoTrickler.

For the trickler when swapping between a stick and a ball powder about the only thing I may need to adjust is the incline of the trickler ever so slightly.
I do have the Area419 base which makes that adjustment super simple (thumbwheel).

The v3 shoul dhave no issues with ball powder. Ball powders and the v2 are not compatible.

If you buy new it should be the v3 but if you buy used be aware of that.

So it doesn't sound like anyone is adjusting the trickler speed between ball and stick powders? Only adjust the trickler angle and autothrow's course adjustment? My v3 arrives TODAY!!!

Have used all versions of Autotrickler since they came out. My V3 is very easy to use and switch powder types. Only load from 6PPC thru .308, but no issues.