• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Autotrickler V3 or V4

Rockdoc173

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 26, 2014
    Florida
    I'm looking at getting an Autotrickler even though my long-used CH 1500 is still going. If I were to do this, do those who are familiar with this product recommend going with the V4, or finding a V3 in the PX? Are the features of the V4 such that it's a much better unit, or is it just minor improvements? I don't usually go with the new hotness, rather I prefer to use what I have til I kill it then upgrade to whatever the best happens to be at the time. With no experience with the Autotrickler, I'm not sure what the 'best' is though.

I'd recommended going with the v4. I had a v3 on order and switched to the v4 when it was announced. The performance (speed and accuracy) is about the same from what I understand, but the v4 is a much neater design with less manual adjustments and greater reliability.

I picked up a v3 off of px. I also got on the list for v4. I will see how I like the v3 while waiting for the v4 I don't think I will lose a dime if I decided to sell the v3.

I own both. Pros and cons and I will make this short and sweet. The design/footprint of the v4 is nice if you take your scale with you to the range as I do. The con of the V4 is I have played and tuned on it quite a bit and it is slower than the v3.

• Wow
    Reactions: goneballistic
    The v3 is nice if you’re loading lots of rounds with the same charge weight in batches. If you do lower volume reloading of multiple calibers its easier to change the charge weight on the v4. Both have been accurate and fast for me.

Reactions: BoneDoc
    I switched from volume dumping and topping off with a manual trickler to a CM lite in early 2020 and marveled at the speed up of my process. I was not thrilled with the overcharges of the CM lite. Put an order in early 2021 for a V3 auto trickler and a few weeks later took advantage of the V4 upgrade. I now marvel at the speed and accuracy of my process. I think the V4 is just great. An amazing piece of equipment.

Other than the difference in the two powder locations vs 1 , I haven't seen why the v4 is better than the v3. Also, the v4 is giving some folks problems. The v3 seems to be a little faster than the v4. Is any of this info wrong? I'm not sure I even want a v4 at this point. Once I get my insert for my v3, I have a feeling I will love it and won't want to do anything different. The issues with the scale is the only real issue I've had and I think I've alleviated that so, not sure I will switch.

I own both. Pros and cons and I will make this short and sweet. The design/footprint of the v4 is nice if you take your scale with you to the range as I do. The con of the V4 is I have played and tuned on it quite a bit and it is slower than the v3.
    How much slower?
    1-2 seconds?
    5 seconds?

I love my V3
    For 95+ grains of N570 my old Hornandy was an eternity
    With the V3 it always under 11 seconds and I have it set up conservatively.

With R26 and H4350 I get it going a bit more aggressive and it’s even faster.

I have absolutely no regrets buying it.

The V4 form factor is cleaner but I’m not dumping my V3 for it.

How much slower?
    1-2 seconds?
    5 seconds?

I love my V3
    For 95+ grains of N570 my old Hornandy was an eternity
    With the V3 it always under 11 seconds and I have it set up conservatively.

With R26 and H4350 I get it going a bit more aggressive and it’s even faster.

I have absolutely no regrets buying it.

The V4 form factor is cleaner but I’m not dumping my V3 for it.
    Exactly I'm throwing in the 34 to 42 grain range and can tune it to 7 seconds. I am t 18-20 on the v4. doesn't seem like a lot and is still speedy compared to Chargemaster. My work flow is nice dump charge, replace cup, while it is throwing charge I am seating the bullet and the next charge is ready.

Exactly I'm throwing in the 34 to 42 grain range and can tune it to 7 seconds. I am t 18-20 on the v4. doesn't seem like a lot and is still speedy compared to Chargemaster. My work flow is nice dump charge, replace cup, while it is throwing charge I am seating the bullet and the next charge is ready.
    18-20 is halfway to Hornandy or rcbs speeds!
    😳

Not even close, imo considering the delta in price vs value vs time etc
    I don't have an Autotrickler but do have a Match Master which I find to be accurate and reasonably quick and its a nice tied together single package. RCBS has deep discounts for LEO and Vets...don't need to be retired, just have a DD214 and its a very large discount.

Cheers

Wow, I haven't looked at anything Autotrickler since I bought one in 2016/17(?). I guess I have a V1 or V2....not sure. Since I already have the scale and all the Area419 accessories, would I be able to upgrade to a V4?

The photos on their website are not clear. https://autotrickler.com/pages/autotrickler-v4 I've never liked my powder hopper. I couldn't upgrade that part to the bigger 419 version because of overhead space restrictions on my bench. I wonder how this one sits?

Are there better pictures out there?

Wow, I haven't looked at anything Autotrickler since I bought one in 2016/17(?). I guess I have a V1 or V2....not sure. Since I already have the scale and all the Area419 accessories, would I be able to upgrade to a V4?

The photos on their website are not clear. https://autotrickler.com/pages/autotrickler-v4 I've never liked my powder hopper. I couldn't upgrade that part to the bigger 419 version because of overhead space restrictions on my bench. I wonder how this one sits?

Are there better pictures out there?
    No it's a completely new unit but much slower than the old ones. I wouldn't be changing

Reactions: earthquake