• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Autotrickler V4 Scale Issues

07jkjeeper

Mr Baker
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2018
Farmington New Mexico
Hello,
When I turn off my unit the scale comes on and will zero without the cup on it. As soon as I put on the cup the weight is drifting and continuously measuring, it won't stay on the exact weight it keeps drifting. When I try to zero it tries but will not zero out. I've powered it off and tried recalibration. It will recalibrate and will zero out without the powder cup but as soon as I add the cup the weight is drifting continously. Nothing changed and nothing has happened that could have damaged the unit.

Mine hunts for zero. Drifts .08 grains. Very frustrating as I hoped it was better than the RCBS, that’s a big nope!

I sent the scale off to A&D and they said it’s good, but it’s not. I know how these companies “check” returned items. They do a basic bench check, they don’t try to replicate the fault.

What cup are you using?

Try wiping it down with an old dryer sheet.
im using the one it comes with the shot glass. It’s sitting on a ESD mat, chassis grounded, power cord with chokes, hopper grounded, and everything wiped down with Endust for electronics with dryer sheets. The servo driven dump is nice, the scale I have sucks and there is no way I’m going to buy another one.

Ground your scale correctly. Get a static Matt and ground that too, correctly is the key here.

im using the one it comes with the shot glass. It’s sitting on a ESD mat, chassis grounded, power cord with chokes, hopper grounded, and everything wiped down with Endust for electronics with dryer sheets. The servo driven dump is nice, the scale I have sucks and there is no way I’m going to buy another one.

I think mine only came with a 2 prong cord (ungrounded), I'll have to look next time I think about it.

Mine is sitting on a slab of scrap granite counter on top of a neoprene mat for a little dampening. I plugged the cords into an ungrounded outlet (I'm an electrician, therefore hot and neutral are good enough) with whatever choke it may have came with.

It reads perfectly and the v4 drops quick and only overthrows if I get greedy with longer stick powders.
Scale is spot on, I was showing my kids how them stomping across the room like teenagers was causing it to wander the other day. It stopped when they stopped.

I did discover I have to block the window to load during the day, as the sun will cause it to wander. Piece of cardboard behind the scale to shade it fixed that.

Reactions: simonp
Do you have florescent lightning above the scale? If so, switch to LED as well as increase zero tracking strength on the scale.

Last edited:
Are you using one of those fancy platten covers to avoid getting kernels on the platten?

If so, remove it. And make sure the balance setup is done according to the AutoTrickler manual.

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
I just emailed them about the same issue.
Here’s the response.

Hi,
Thanks for reaching out. No issue with the "E" display - it's probably just because you had the cup on the scale when you plugged it in.
Regarding the continual dispensing, make sure that there's no stray kernels under the platen (i.e. the tray that the cup rests on). Remove the platen, clean out any kernels and put it back in place carefully. Unplug the V4 from the scale and try to weigh something. If that works, plug in the V4 and let us know how you get along. Thanks,

Laura”