• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

average cost of getting set up to reload

CCRBUM

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2009
good morning fellow hide members. with no real end in sight of ridiculous ammo prices and looking at long term benefits, I'm trying to get a ball park figure to get set up for reloading. initially I'm planning on reloading .223 and then eventually move in to .308 and 9mm. The majority of the ammo is going to be plinking ammo until I start to get more comfortable and confident with it and then I would like to start looking at loading precision loads. I'm not looking to win awards with my set up but I also want to make sure I'm not cutting corners. Thanks for the input!

Not because a dick but I'm not sure what all information i need to give. I've never reloaded before, I've been doing a lot of reading and still am not clear on what i need or don't need. Trying to stay somewhat budget friendly

Reactions: Clowncar
My opinion would be get a progressive, either the dillon 550 or the 750. I have a 650 that has worked well for me. I'm only loading for pistol nowadays but have a single stage that I will be using for precision rifle rounds

You need a press. A sizer die and a s die. Calipers. Headspace and bullet comparators. Trimmer/chamfer/deburr. Scale. Funnel.
That’s the bare minimum.

Anything you get above the minimum I would either try to automate such as power throwing with a charge master. Or a drill or motor powered trimmer/chamfer/deburr with preferably all three at the same time.
Anything else is just preference and money spent on time savings.

this is what you want sure it is think about it ammo everywhere all for you .

1. Beware of advice givers that would like to live vicariously through your bank account.
2. At your range, or go to some local match's ask either shooting friends or offer to buy someone lunch, or supply something to drink if
they will show you their reloading set up, or.
3. Ask here, giving your basic location ie; city / town if anyone would be willing to show your their reloading set up. Then take your conservation either to PM's or e mails

Trying to stay somewhat budget friendly

This statement does not narrow it down or help in any way.

Budget? Single stage or progressive? How OCD are you - because things like weighing powder or prepping cases can be done six different ways, so which is worth the cost in time and dimes to you? Depends on what your expectations are.

Why do you want to reload? If the answer is to save money - there are only very limited cases where that will actually work out for you.

Reactions: 1moaoff
As someone who's recently gotten into reloading myself, expect that it will cost much more than you originally anticipate. And the idea that re/handloading is a cost savings is pretty much a myth. That said, reloading handgun rounds like 9mm and 45acp, I've had much better luck finding the components for those rounds (powder, primers, bullets) versus factory 9mm and 45acp ammo at a store. The startup cost, though, is high enough that you'll need to reload a *lot* of rounds to come out ahead. Obviously as prices continue to inflate/gouge that time becomes less but the prices and scarcity of materials becomes an issue.

Personally, I've found that I really enjoy the work of re/handloading and look forward to perfecting rounds (especially rifle) for *my* firearms, which is what it's really all about.

Last edited:
What I would suggest is that you make a little study of how many rounds you would shoot per month. Example, I haven't shot more that 20 rounds for the Mo. of July and Aug. 95* Deg. with 90% Humidity, tends to make one seek indoor projects.
To be able to reload the 3 rounds you mentioned , even "zombie" quality ** ammo to even go the low cost road using Lee Equip. you are looking at about $ 400.00. Now add in the expendables ; bullets , primers and powders and you have over $ 500.00 invested

Don't worry about the initial setup cost. Worry about the weekly expenses that you are going to have to for the foreseeable future.

For me, it's a hobby and an escape from my day to day bullshit. I have no idea of what a good set of golf clubs cost today, but if I was into golf, I'd pay $5K for a good set of clubs, but it's just not my thing.

Commenters above have stated that you're not going to save any money by reloading. While that isn't an un-true statement, if you get all of the requisite equipment and start loading up on components when prices are low, over time, the costs come down below new/loaded/factory prices. A lot of guys are sitting on components that they purchased far enough back that their loaded reload round costs are ~ 25% of the present day going rate.

I reload for the enjoyment of ot first of all and the cost savings second. Having said that, finding components right now is the shits. If you get into it, things will settle back down, prices will come down and that's the time to buy 10X of what you think you will need.

I thought it was going to cost me about 800 bucks. It cost more around 1200 when it was all said and done. Forster coax, chargemaster 1500, Forster manual case trimmer, Redding type s dies plus the cost of a bushing, chamfer/debur tool, digital caliper, head space comparator, OAL gauge and modified case. Powder funnel and inserts. Case holder for when you’re dumping powder in the cases and they’re staged for bullets and seating. Plus all your component costs(powder, primers, brass, bullets). Oh. And a reloading manual for the bullet manufacturer you’re going to use or a general reloading manual if you plan on using a bunch of different bullets.

I appreciate the information guys. I'm looking to shoot maybe 500 rounds a month of .223... possibly more depending on cost. My son just recently completed his first AR so I'd love to get some good father son time at the range. right now at $600 a case for .223 it's hard to justify the range time. that's by biggest reason for looking into reloading. From what I'm hearing, it doesn't sound like the current market is the best time to get in to it and maybe I'm just as well off to purchase the ammo that I can for now.

Get one of those press kits on the market..pick your favorite color as long as its red, blue, or green. It will get you started, but you will end up sinking more and more money into the reloading quagmire that you will never actually save money vs factory ammo. What it will let you do is shoot at higher volume than if you just bought factory ammo. A starter kit is usually around $300 ish.

Do both.

Put a list together. Shop the reloading equipment sales for used gear at decent prices and you can put together a nice setup for less. Same goes for powder and primers. Any time you see them on sale grab em. By the time you have everything you need you'll also have enough brass saved to get busy reloading.

I’d budget 1k bucks to get a set up with a powered trimmer and maybe electronic scale to save time and effort and that you won’t dread using. You can get by for 300 bucks but you’re gonna be paying in time and sore shoulders and finger tips instead.

If all you’re doing is ar plinking with your son and no real precision oriented stuff for a year or two then you can get a progressive like the lee with a powder throw for real cheap and learn on it making stock/factory-ish ammo to get your feet wet without a whole lot of investment. Then once you want to start refining shit down you’ll have a good base of knowledge and general function.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
I think it cost me around 1200 for the press, case feeder, and all the other recommended parts when I first started out. That didn't include the cost of components.

Up near 2k for me. Press, dies, case prep station, annealer, charge master, measuring gadgets. All the other bells and whistles add up. It's a rabbit hole for sure. But I haven't bought a 6.5cm factory rifle round in almost two years. I have a shooting buddy who buys all the components and I load the rounds for both of us

Best thing to do is go to the range and talk to other reloaders. See if they have extra equipment they'd sell you. Check out the px here also.

I appreciate the information guys. I'm looking to shoot maybe 500 rounds a month of .223... possibly more depending on cost. My son just recently completed his first AR so I'd love to get some good father son time at the range. right now at $600 a case for .223 it's hard to justify the range time. that's by biggest reason for looking into reloading. From what I'm hearing, it doesn't sound like the current market is the best time to get in to it and maybe I'm just as well off to purchase the ammo that I can for now.
And that is a helpful bit of information... range ammo for an ar is not bolt ammo for elr.... now we are making progress

I’d start off with a cheap single stage press such as an rcbs rock chucker, it will be less of a learning curve and will be easier to learn what you are doing without 4 things happening at the same time like with a progressive. Once you get comfortable with the steps, feel good about it, you can step up to a Dillion 750. Since you aren’t doing precision reloads there is t much reason for an expensive electric powder thrower. A balance scale to measure and a powder thrower will be just fine. Would also get an electric case prep station for bulk ammo.

Like a I said earlier though, components, especially primers, are non existent at the moment. You can buy all the reloading equipment, brass, bullets, and powder but you still won’t load a single round until you find primers.

Another option to at least start dipping you feet in, is to start saving and prepping all your brass. Deprime, clean it, trim, trim out the primer crimps, etc, while you try and find components

it will be less of a learning curve and will be easier to learn what you are doing without 4 things happening at the same time like with a progressive.

When I started I ran my Dillon 550 like a backwards turret. You don't need to have every station running simultaneously when you start. You can just do one station at a time.

I think the 'learning curve' argument is overblown, buy the press that suits your objectives the first time. If that's a single stage, there's nothing wrong with that. But make an honest assessment of your wants/needs and buy it once.

ETA: I agree with the rest of your post.

Reactions: Gustav7
Dies, brass, powders, primers will all add up but I would say you’ll be looking at approximately 5-700 hundred to get started. I just started reloading and pieces together my kit, I would say I’m right around the $600 mark. Bought some extra powder and primers that I would need down the road.

Btw rcbs has a good rebate going for their press, I bought a Rock chucker supreme and it has done well

When I started I ran my Dillon 550 like a backwards turret. You don't need to have every station running simultaneously when you start. You can just do one station at a time.

I think the 'learning curve' argument is overblown, buy the press that suits your objectives the first time. If that's a single stage, there's nothing wrong with that. But make an honest assessment of your wants/needs and buy it once.

ETA: I agree with the rest of your post.

guess I never thought about doing it one station at a time. Been loading for around a year now and am thinking about getting a Dillion now that their is no such thing as cheap ammo anymore. I was thinking that their was no way I could have kept up or really understood what was going on at the very beginning if I had to run a Dillion with each station going

I thought it was going to cost me about 800 bucks. It cost more around 1200 when it was all said and done. Forster coax, chargemaster 1500, Forster manual case trimmer, Redding type s dies plus the cost of a bushing, chamfer/debur tool, digital caliper, head space comparator, OAL gauge and modified case. Powder funnel and inserts. Case holder for when you’re dumping powder in the cases and they’re staged for bullets and seating. Plus all your component costs(powder, primers, brass, bullets). Oh. And a reloading manual for the bullet manufacturer you’re going to use or a general reloading manual if you plan on using a bunch of different bullets.

I have Dillon 650's for pistol and plinking 223, Forster Co Ax for precision 223 and 308, all that is listed above plus if you are doing any volume of rifle loading Id say save money on the long run by just buying a girard trimmer at the start, wish I had done so. Pistol is the easiest to start with and since as folks pointed out you arent going to find any small pistol or small rifle primers easily, starting with 45 is probably the easiest.

6 months ago I would have said you wont save money reloading you will just shoot more, having seen 9mm being sold for $1.20 a round in retail /online Id say you will save money and shoot more if you reload.

I have Dillon 650's for pistol and plinking 223, Forster Co Ax for precision 223 and 308, all that is listed above plus if you are doing any volume of rifle loading Id say save money on the long run by just buying a girard trimmer at the start, wish I had done so. Pistol is the easiest to start with and since as folks pointed out you arent going to find any small pistol or small rifle primers easily, starting with 45 is probably the easiest.

6 months ago I would have said you wont save money reloading you will just shoot more, having seen 9mm being sold for $1.20 a round in retail /online Id say you will save money and shoot more if you reload.
My shooting has increased drastically due to reloading. I’ve shot ~2k rounds so far of centerfire since I started reloading, which is more than I’ve shot in my entire life combined lol a giraurd trimmer is definitely the way to go. Buy once cry once forsure

ok, looks like I need to make a list and start shopping.. save my brass as I buy factory ammo and hope primers reappear on the market. I'll check out the RCBS rebate going on right now. I also like the idea of just a single stage press for now and then looking at up grading down the road.

Question on brass prep. do I need to get a tumbler and clean it that way? I've read a couple things where people are using mild detergent to soak / wash the brass. and if I do need a tumbler, is that something I'd be ok getting at harbor freight ? I mean, asides from the risk of burning down my house...

ok, looks like I need to make a list and start shopping.. save my brass as I buy factory ammo and hope primers reappear on the market. I'll check out the RCBS rebate going on right now. I also like the idea of just a single stage press for now and then looking at up grading down the road.

Question on brass prep. do I need to get a tumbler and clean it that way? I've read a couple things where people are using mild detergent to soak / wash the brass. and if I do need a tumbler, is that something I'd be ok getting at harbor freight ? I mean, asides from the risk of burning down my house...
Pony up and get a SS wet tumbler from thumlers tumblers or the likes. Your brass comes out like new and it does a really good job of cleaning the primer pockets and inside of the cases. Deprime the brass (amount will vary depending on cartridge size ie the larger the case, the less you can tumble at one time) and throw it in there for several hours and then separate out media (they sell a media separator for it) and dry with a towel. then let air dry for a few days or stick it in a toaster oven for 30-45min @ 160F to get the rest of the moisture from the inside of the case. Lube them up, size, trim, chamfer and debur, prime, powder, seat a bullet, fire, repeat

I totally agree on starting with a single stage....
I suggested a 550 because of how many rounds you are talking about and intended application. If starting with a 550 start out running 1 op at a time.

Reactions: culater
For bulk 5.56 loading, I would 100% suggest at least a Dillon 550.

I started on one a few years ago and still load anything bulk on it. I bought my FIL one and that's what he learned now reload with.

It isn't hard, just understand what each step is doing, take your time and pay attention.
You will enjoy shooting much more when you can load 200-300 rounds an hour vs 50-100.

This is just my personal opinion, so take it that way.

its a trap. don't get into reloading to save money. I've tracked everything I've purchased, including a couple presses that I didn't use as much. Over 5 years I've spent more than I want to admit publicly, but you could buy a used Honda Civic with the amount I've spent. I've then calculated how much per round it has cost me IN TOTAL for all the reloading equipment. Now that I'm into precision rifle reloading I will start to show some progress in savings. Let me add that I've bought every gizmo and gadget including an AMP annealer, a Forster coax, Dillon 650. I bought a Dillon square deal for pistol but gave it to a friend after getting the 650. I had an RCBS shotshell press I sold because It wasn't saving any money to load shotshell.

Expect to learn and learning costs money for sure. My suggestion in hindsight is to just get a single stage and reload rifle only. Pistol brass I reload but it isn't as much of a savings and the accuracy gain isn't as noticeable at pistol distances as it is at 1000 yards with a rifle.

Reloading is a total wormhole, but a worthwhile one. You will end up shooting more rifle rounds for about the same cost you would have spent on factory ammo.

One thing to consider when buying a press is that many of them can be sold for nearly what you paid for them quickly of you decide you no longer want to do it. Dillon 550 just sold in the PX in under 5 minutes. Good luck!

It's not worth it unless you have readily available, free, and nearby access to a shooting range ideally up to 300 yards (because even factory plinking ammo is good at 100 yards from a good gun). So basically... if you live on a farm or own a bunch of land. This is because you will need to do load development to make the primary outcome of reloading appear, which is the best accuracy. Direct cost per round doesn't pay for initial outlay investment and maintenance unless you fire A LOT of rounds (especially if you keep and sell your once-fired factory brass to recover some funds) or you are developing rounds for competition and the accuracy gets you cash prices or similar. Reloading is expensive as fucking hell to get started in and do things right and it wasn't in the past. Now to get a high quality US-made press you pay a fortune compared to back in the day. To get a scale that is actually accurate, you either use a tedious beam scale or you pay a fortune for an electronic one -- the cheap electronic ones are good enough for plinking/hunting I suppose, but not precision. OMG and the ever-rising cost of dies... my lord.

I think I spent something between $1,200 and $1500. That includes buying a tumbler and a few other things. I purchased a Hornady Classic Kit and added an Iron press. I bought an RCBS Auto Primer Seater and I found a good deal on an RCBS electric chamfering machine. It’s one of those things that the sky is the limit. You can spend thousands of dollars if you wanted to.

Reactions: rottenruger
I started with a rock chucker kit. The trimmer with the added 3-way cutter head is about the only thing i still use for rifle rounds. I use the rock chucker press and hand primer with lee dies and the lee auto disc powder dispenser for hand gun stuff. I now have a forester co-ax, RCBS lite thrower, the hand trimmer already mentioned, case polisher with walnut media , die set for whatever caliber, calipers digital and Hornady head space/ bullet seating gauges. coulple different reloading manuals are helpful. I can produce at least 1/2 moa with my set up.

I’ll give you my .02 worth. It’s like a business with start up cost which is high at first but come down after a while. But this the worst time to get in the game with shortages everywhere. The only benefit of reloading is when things are calm and you can build up a stash for components for times like this. The best thing to do is buy used reloading equipment to save a few bucks. I would also suggest the Dillon 550 because you can get 90+% back on your money when you sell it. Also saves time reloading. A power trimmer is a life saver and money well spent. The one plus for me it’s good therapy on weekends. It like pulling on the slot machine and winning every time when one more complete round is done. Lol. When you can convert grains to grams faster than a crack dealer you’ll know your addicted to reloading.

Don't let these guys scare you off of hand loading. Buy a 25.00 reloading manual, read it , if is sounds like something you could get into. Spend a weekend researching costs. The kits are the cheapest way to get started but they seldom have everything you need, normally they won't have a case trimmer. If you get addicted to hand loading you will start buying more and more and more. I hope you can get started, misery loves company.

Reactions: Gustav7

I started with one of these when I was sixteen. It loads excellent shells.

1 box of 100 primers. 1 box of 100 bullets. 1lb of powder. And you will load your first 100 rounds. And pay for your loader.

It was two years and hundreds, probably thousands, of .38 specials before I got a press.

Sirhr