• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Average hunter skills

Carlos0311B4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2007
Arizona
I just finished reading an article on the July 2007 issue of American hunter "Can you go Long" (I think). On one of the pages it had a survey of average hunter skills. It was 30 hunters so I guess that qualifies as average..anyway.

The 1st thing that came to mind was I'm not the best shot in the world but WTF Over!!! ALL 30 would not shoot a 12inch "shoot and see" target with or without support. Man are you kidding me at least 80% of the RECRUITS I trained would be able to hit that 3-4/5 times from the sitting position from 300 yards with only a sling. That is with open sights the guys on the article had scopes.

Do people really need that much help shooting?? (My words of choice are others but I will be nice)

Re: Average hunter skills

Hunting is not about shooting,

the skills are in taking a killing shot,

in most places outside the US a shot at 200 meters is considered unethical due to wounding risk and the uncertainty of what is behind the game and so on.

I have a slightly more balanced idea about what is etical and right but still for most types of hunting there is no need for a 300 yard shot.

Second, to shoot at a 12 inch target and hit 3-4 out of 5 is not hunting, in the army or elswhere perhaps that is good enough but for hunting all shots are to count,

I can hit the vital zone of a roedeer 19 times out of 20 at 300 meters and prone, the same at 200 metes sitting with sticks, I limit myself to under 200 meters on all shots at roe just due to this 5% margin of error.

The two longest shots yet for roe are 176 meters and 152 meters, lasered shots and all, for fox and other, there have been longer shots.

To test ones abilty as a hunter shot, try removing the sling, set the timer at 15 seconds and do 20 push ups, click the timer and take the shot in time, that is a sort of pretest of a hunting situation like shot, can you pull it off 100% of the time, well then great.

As I started out with, hunting is not shooting, the shot is less than 10% of the hunt.

My closest shot yet is 12 yards shot on muntjac, 8 yards on roe and 30 yards on fox, all done in daylight stalking. I know that in the US people shoot a what I consider super extended distances, I have great respect for the shooting, the knowledge and traning that goes in to it and the shots them selfs however to call is hunting is a bit of a stretch.

By the way I shoot about 2 000 rdns centerfire and 3 000 22 lr each year so I get som practice to, it´s just that an american shot can in the same breath give the nod to a 300 yards shot at still game whilst ragging a shot on driven/running game.

I shoot about 400 rnds a year at the running boar and moose target range, most running shots out to about 70-90 yards are doable, anything within 30 meters is dead as a doornail.

So in short, different strokes, different strokes.

Best regards and thinks tvice before calling hunters bad shots Chris

I don,t know about the fancy talk or lingo, all we's know is that from 50 to 500 yards we bring home the game,we do shoot offhand primary and matbe use support if time allows it,before the hunt we lift weightsas this improves our shooting,when your skills are sharpen and you're heart is into it,you're gonna get game!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CD0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do people really need that much help shooting??</div></div>
The shooters at the range I frequent, all shoot 100yds. off Lead Sleds 100% of the time, right through to the last days before season opener. They all look at me like I am an ass for shooting only field positions.

There is a small handful of shooters who shoot LR and military style comps.

A couple of guys saw me shooting seated/supported w/ hasty sling. They came up and said "Why are you doing that?" They had no clue as to what I was doing with the sling.

First time my girl went with me she said "What's up with them? Did you say something to them? They don't like you?" I've never said more than "Howdy".

Swed,

I don't think taking a 300 yard/280meter shot is unethical if you know what you are doing.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=871907#Post871907

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=865134#Post865134

Trust me I know what humping around with gear (my basic load without pack is 57lbs-24kilos or some crap like that) or in the hills hunting can do to your body/breathing/heart rate. As far as your "stress" drill, dude, are you kidding me?! I'm in a two way range!

I know hunting is not all shooting but the mission is to shoot at what you aim at right? To me it's not 10%

I say 50/50. 50% maneuvering (hunting) and 50% tanking the SHOT.

I was not talking about most of the guys/girl that belong to the hide I know most of us here want to improve.

Wfldg,

Dude I know exactly what you mean!

You got your BRAAS wrong. BRASS Breathe, Relax, Aim, Sights, Squeeze
grin.gif
....Kidding I just learned it different.

Not unlike many that frequent this site, I have killed game out to extended ranges. This year the closest deer shot was at 525 with the longest being 658, shooting supported of course.

It is different stokes for all.

I can second Wlfdg comment on most shooting from the bench and calling it good and heading afield. That in my opion is unethical not shooting at extended distances with skill IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CD0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You got your BRAAS wrong. BRASS Breathe, Relax, Aim, Sights, Squeeze
grin.gif
....Kidding I just learned it different.

</div></div>

No, I adjusted it when I moved to the "Windy State" of Idaho. Improvise-Adapt, know what I mean?

Semper Fi!

You would be suprised by the number of hunters that drop their rifle off at my local range for the kid behind the counter to zero it for them. Its easy to get on the 300 yard lane at another range because all the deer hunters rarely (if ever)go past 200.

I really could not care less,

I started out by stating what is considered ethical beyound the relms of the US of A, a bit of perspective is never a bad thing if one has an open mind,

sure if you are right and the rest of the world can shove it, well then there is really no need.

I for one has stated above prior to the "I sure can do it all" replies started to drop in that, I have the outmost respect for shooters than can make 100% sure that they have 100% first round kills at extended ranges,

However shots beyond 300 meters is not considered ethical in Sweden, or the rest the major part of world for that matter, it would even be considered unsafe in large parts of the world. There is little I can do but ignore the established guidelines for hunting in Sweden should I desire to shoot at 500 meters and out.

I am glad that you all have thought things through and that you find your hunting correct, I belive that is what should count, in my case it´s not, but that is hunting in Sweden for you, all the neighboring farms will know with in minutes what has been shot and how.

Poor shooting is not accepted.

I for one belive that during that flight time of .314 sec or so that a bullet takes to travese 300 yards and the more then .5 sec it takes to make it to 500 yards or that 1,3 sec to 1K is just a bit to much of a gamble, the game could move, if you know it´s not so, well then that is your call.

A slow moving deer moves in about 2 m/s or in the flight time to 300 yards about 62 cm or about 24 inches, from shot to impact, in my terms that would equate to a complete miss but on larger deer it would be a gut shot.

Those that state that they can handle this are great shots and should be proud I just can not justify that for myself, in part due to the size of game and the lay of the land here.

In open country the rules and conditions change a bit.

Those of you that do take shots beyond 500 meters are these taken for show of skill or as the only option for the hunt?

We have had this discussion in a few Swedish forums as well, and the general consensus is that the average hunter is at a loss beyond 100 meters for the most part,

hide members and others have a slightly better record due to training, gear and motivation.

The whole thing boils down to at what range are you 100% sure of getting a first round hit in the vitals?

The answer is your max distance, I still would like to any one claiming that they take an off hand shot at 500 meters or yards and call there shot, that is truly a feat.

With regards were they are due, Chris

On average duck and head for cover. watched 2 guys durring antelope season this year that while they connected they deffinately weren't hit where intended. One pulled the shot up and to the side enough that the antelope was hit in the head droping it on the spot. WHen he got down to the animal he was looking for a hit in behind the shoulder. The shot was at about 140 yards sitting. The same guy got a good hit on his elk, and proceded to take the front leg off at the knee on the followup. The second guy durring antelope season I saw miss 13 consecutive shots on goats from 300 yards in to less than a hundred, and then proceded to hit one in the jaw, and 6 rounds later finally got it on the ground. I just had to shake my head at that. The first guy just gets excited really easily. THe second just goes off of the idea of sighting in 3-4 inches high at 100 and calls it good.

I have known guys that hunt that may shoot 1 box of ammo every 2 years. They break out the '06 a month or so before deer season. Head to the range to confirm Zero hasn't changed. That may be 3-5 shots. Rifle goes back in the case and they head for the mountains. Depending on the trip they may again check zero if the rifle was bounced around in transportation. Shoot their deer. They are well under 10 rounds for the year and rifle is back in the safe or closet. Then they may shoot hundreds of shotgun rounds at ducks,doves and pheasant.

03bulletstopper,
you find these types all over the world. Maybe a bit more in your area due to the shorter deer hunting seasons. In Europe we mostly have longer seasons, some countries have deer shooting all year round. We only have open season from September till end Feb. But then in some areas we have special permits for the rest of the year. We also manage deer, meaning at times decide on cull figures our selves. This leads to a different approach as many hunters know their deer, where they live and when and how they move.
If we screw up someone will almost certainly find the badly shot deer that will make it the talk of the area.
I take my shooting serious,try to learn as I go and have taken deer out to 400yds, but only when I feel confident. Of course we mostly have less long range practice possibilities than you lads.

edi

Ever had, buck fever? out of breath from hustling up a mountain? animals aren't
always still. I've missed and connected at 470 off my knee, antelope on a dead run
at 200 yards is a 22 foot lead, hard to figure in a split second, and harder to get
practice on. It would be more akin to your guys getting shot at while making those
three hundred yard shots. A friend took a speed goat at 850 this year and put two
shots into it at that range. Set up time was 4 minutes for the first shot. He said it
was the first time he ever had to time his heart beat on a shot in the field. But a
lot of success hunting is time in the field.

100% assurance that you will make a shot under field conditions.

I think you would eliminate about 80% of the folks in the field.

I don't know about average, but this year I was hunting w/ a guy from work and he wouldn't take a shot at just under 200yds, so I dropped 2 of the 3 whitetail in that field and filled my tags in less than 5 seconds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The second guy durring antelope season I saw miss 13 consecutive shots on goats from 300 yards in to less than a hundred, and then proceded to hit one in the jaw, and 6 rounds later finally got it on the ground.</div></div> I think that was my neighbor with his buddy doing the shooting. That's sad.

As far as I'm concerned, the "average hunter" in my AO shouldn't ever be off the range. Most are happy with 2-3 shots somewhere on the paper @ 100yds off a bench. To them thats "good to go" They get pissed @ me when I show up, & go out to the 200 yd target while they have to wait, & then drill the red dot with 3 rnds, & go home. I hardly ever go to a "range" anymore because of this. All my practice is in the field from various positions.

I was given a Stevens/Savage 22LR rifle last week, it came from my cousin who recently passed, who got it from his dad who passed af ew years back with the help of a dirtbag with a 38.

This rifle however has probably killed more deer in it's initial 15 years of life than most of us have....

My uncle would stalk, get within 20 yards and shoot a deer in the head with it- right or wrong he was putting food on his table, and we all know he poached - but he just kept putting food on the table...

Unethical as it is, he never missed - headshot with a 22LR...

I wouldn't do it but it can be done- so basically if that's the standard taking a 300 yard shot on a deer is probably not the bestthing to do.

I would if and only if I had my Rem 700 tactical with my 165 gr bullets loaded - I KNOW where to hit and where my bullet WILL hit.

But a lot of guys dont' even zero their rifle or if they do they go out and expend anentire box of ammo doing so...

I've helped a LOT of guys at the range and in every case I tell them to come back the next day and fire ONE shot - ONLY one shot - where it hits, adjust from there and come back the next day to make sure it's zero'd.

They finally get it...

In the article the conditions were "ideal" (I don't have the mag. anymore, one of you guys check) and I'm sorry but 9/90 on a 12" target sucks sweaty B@**$

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> antelope on a dead run
at 200 yards is a 22 foot lead </div></div>

That shot I would take 0% of the time but that's just me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started out by stating what is considered ethical beyound the relms of the US of A</div></div> Well in the US of A allot of us consider a hunter who can't shoot worth a @#$@ unethical taking any shot!

Maybe I should of said "average hunter shooting skills" or something along those lines.

I have been deployed the last few years so I have done no hunting but when I was back in the states I quit going to civilian ranges for the same reasons some of you have. I tried to help some people and most "know it all" so I quit wasting my time. And I worked on a range so after the recruits were done I just took my rifle and practiced there.

It's nice to have a 500 yard range for an office and a boss that was national champ that likes to shoot as much as you do
grin.gif

I don't much care for most folks I meet at "the range", especialy prior to hunting season. I'm partial to throwing my mat UNDER the bench and getting prone which leaves me in a very nice position to ignore just about everybody. It's not that I'm an A$$hole or anything I'm just there to do my thing. The range is not a social venu for me it's a work(out) place. If you want to BS we'll go to a bar.

Observing some of the folks that go to the range it's not uncommon to see smiles of pride and joy with 7 out of 10 on a 8" shoot n see at 100 yards from the bench. Most of the time, if you watch them, they start trying to get awway from the rifle before it goes off. Either a case of once bitten (scope) or a case of too much gun, no practice.

For these folks Virginia is about the perfect place to hunt as most shots are well w/i 100yds and most w/i 50.

Me personaly I won't take a shot at more than 500. Simply because the flight time is too long. In that 1/2 a second alot can happen, and at 500 it better be a perfect shot on a perfect day. 250 is about max for me on a mover and I'd best be supported or at least on a knee. Standing awful hand is 100 yard max and that had better be one helliously large deer for me to even consider it. Those are my limitations imposed and adhered to by me and are not applicable to any other although some may find them useful.

Cheers,

Doc

<span style="font-style: italic">I have a slightly more balanced idea about what is etical and right</span>

How did you determine that?

SingleShot and I were having this same conversation a couple of weeks ago down at his ranch. It's amazing how ill-equipped and inexperienced some guys are.

They go to their favorite gun store, buy a $300 rifle, have a scope mounted in $5 rings and laser bore sighted and they're off. They pay $2k plus for their lease, take off work early on a Friday and viola! They're a hunter!

The big eureka doesn't come until they miss a 50 yard shot at least twice, blame it on the gun 3 times and then stumble into someone willing to help them.

SS is talking about offering classes down there in the "pre-season" to try to reduce the number of wounded animals. Pretty good idea IMO. The trick is getting some of them to admit they need some instruction. Some folks already know it all, but still have animals running off. Go figure...

Send their ass down here we'll fix'm up and ship'm back
wink.gif

I have 39 hunters of which I trust none! Yes they bring me kills but I hear stories of heartache as JV described and wonder WTF were you thinking??????
mad.gif

Well its up to the know to instruct the know-nots. I start with the 39 that directly affect me

KT

Good topic...

I define "Ethical" as taking a shot I know I can make. The situation will dictate my range. My longest shot while deer hunting was 836 paces, roughly 790 yards, with a 7mm Rem on a pipeline in north La. Most of my shots are between 10 and 300 yards, all of which are within a few inches with a 200y zero. The limitation is based on the distance I can see, the rest I can take, and the performace of me and my gear. Running shots past 200y I usually won't take, not for something as noble as ethics, but I simply haven't practiced running shots beyond that. Trotting shots I'm more likely to take, walking I'll definitely take, and standing is a gimmie. But again, that's all situation dependant. I may come down with an unexpected case of buck fever (or any of many other unexpected issues) and not be able to make the shot.

The difference between hunters is knowledge. Those that seek greater knowledge about their sport and gear will have the confidence to question what those that lack knowlege define as "Ethics". ---just look at the issue of hunting with a suppressor...

I chuckle every September when the guys start showing up with their deer rifles on the range. The guns haven't been cleaned since they bought them, they're using the same box of cheap ammo they bought several years ago, and they are happy with hitting a pie plate at 100y off a sand bag. The best thing those of us with greater knowledge can do IS TO SHARE THE KNOWLEDGE. If they figure out what they and their rifle are capable of, hopefully they will take the time to improve their skills. This issue goes beyond hunting, it is at the root of problems facing the shooting sports worldwide.

Had to come back to add something...

#1: For those in Europe who consider anything past 100m as unethical; is there rifle, caliber, visable distance, etc.. limitations on hunters there or is 100m an arbitrary distance created by past generations with lesser equipment and greater excuses? I ask because I see the same argument here in the States. It commonly comes from old guys who can't hit what they are aiming at with what we consider precision, much less any resemblance of accuracy.

#2: Statistically speaking, do the women of Sweden, Norway, and Finland commonly have natural D Cup tits? Or is it just hype? I've been offered a NATO job out that way and wanted to clearly define the benefits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The trick is getting some of them to admit they need some instruction. Some folks already know it all, but still have animals running off. Go figure...</div></div>

100% on the money. I tried a few times and quit after that. I will only do it if some one asks for help. But since I worked at the range it was only me.

They didn't like it to much when my friend (female) out shot about 95% of the men at the range pistol and rifle. You should have seen it!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RUM Lover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good topic...

I define "Ethical" as taking a shot I know I can make. The situation will dictate my range. My longest shot while deer hunting was 836 paces, roughly 790 yards, with a 7mm Rem on a pipeline in north La. Most of my shots are between 10 and 300 yards, all of which are within a few inches with a 200y zero. The limitation is based on the distance I can see, the rest I can take, and the performace of me and my gear. Running shots past 200y I usually won't take, not for something as noble as ethics, but I simply haven't practiced running shots beyond that. Trotting shots I'm more likely to take, walking I'll definitely take, and standing is a gimmie. But again, that's all situation dependant. I may come down with an unexpected case of buck fever (or any of many other unexpected issues) and not be able to make the shot.

The difference between hunters is knowledge. Those that seek greater knowledge about their sport and gear will have the confidence to question what those that lack knowlege define as "Ethics". ---just look at the issue of hunting with a suppressor...

I chuckle every September when the guys start showing up with their deer rifles on the range. The guns haven't been cleaned since they bought them, they're using the same box of cheap ammo they bought several years ago, and they are happy with hitting a pie plate at 100y off a sand bag. The best thing those of us with greater knowledge can do IS TO SHARE THE KNOWLEDGE. If they figure out what they and their rifle are capable of, hopefully they will take the time to improve their skills. This issue goes beyond hunting, it is at the root of problems facing the shooting sports worldwide.

Had to come back to add something...

#1: For those in Europe who consider anything past 100m as unethical; is there rifle, caliber, visable distance, etc.. limitations on hunters there or is 100m an arbitrary distance created by past generations with lesser equipment and greater excuses? I ask because I see the same argument here in the States. It commonly comes from old guys who can't hit what they are aiming at with what we consider precision, much less any resemblance of accuracy.

<span style="font-style: italic">Rum lover, just had to get back in it, yes the idea of that beyond 120-150 meters the idea of ethical shooting is not possible does in part come for the older days.

The other part of it comes from a very good understanding of the average shooter/hunters ability in Sweden/Europe, in such a fact, that if the hunters associastions declare that this is the limit, then more hunters will keep the limits and less wounded game is the outcome, something we all hate to have happen.

Further more, hunters with weak personalities and poor skills are not to mocked or gouded in to taking shots with low percentage and high risks.

Even more compounding is the issues of the not insignificante group of target shooters/hunters in Sweden, we shoot field trials here, like an UKD shot for you guys, prone and kneeling, six rounds in 30-50 sec at ranges up to 650 meters. Those guys are god shots however there not always good hunters, and the fail to adress the issue of flight time and do sufffer a lot from buck fewer.

I practice at 300 meters, the full lenght of "my" range quite a lot however I have only taken one shot prone at a deer this year 134 meters I belive it was, the rest have been standing, sitting, kneeling shots and for those shots 300 meter is just to far.

As some guys have adressed it above train as you would shoot, that is what I do, one day I might feel confident of taking 300 meter shots to.

Sweden is a place with extreme spread in how the land looks, where I hunt 300 meters is not obtainable as a range, I have one spot that is 282 meters, the rest is much shorter. Other people have the same kind of beanfields that you guys have.
</span>

#2: Statistically speaking, do the women of Sweden, Norway, and Finland commonly have natural D Cup tits? Or is it just hype? I've been offered a NATO job out that way and wanted to clearly define the benefits.

<span style="font-style: italic"> For Swedish stats, yes there are a lot more natural D´s then one would imagine, and yes there are som absolutely stunning girls here not all blond though, remember Palles wife, the Danish guy here, his is a girl from Sri Lanka, not to my taste, but pretty as hell.

There are the artifical ones to should one desire that, especially here in Stockholm.

I have during my soon 34 years gone through a rash of blondes, took a few wrong turns with redheads and brunettes and now I have come full cirkle tvice and after passing the blonds again I am back with a natural blond dyed brown.

Remember now and beware, the Scandinavian women, talk softer but carry a bigger stick, they will take you out and bring you home, if not careful.

Last, don´t get in to a drinking contest with any one with heretage from Finland, they will send you in to a stupor and then they will have there way with you, you just better hope the person is a girl...

Best regards Chris</span>

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tarzan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">unethicalis shooting them in a pen eating out of a bucket </div></div>

I beg to differ, that is not hunting or shooting, that is just the plain act of slaughter, I have never hunted a fenced area, neither low or high fences, would I most likely no, I have a opinion of fair chase that won´t allow it.

A big enough fenced area, in excess of for exampel 50 square kilometers, could be interesting, but still there is enough land free of fences that I can hunt.

Best regards Chris

i run a custom butcher shop. I have cut over 1500 game animals so far this year and 90% were shot in the ass or through the back straps. witch tells me most hunters out here (Wyoming) either dont zero there rifle or they are shooting to far because they got on you tube looked up long range hunting pulled up best of the west long range and said i can do that. so they go out and try to shoot game animals and extreme ranges. shooting an animal at 300+ yards is not somthing you just go out and do. it takes practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: butcher307</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i run a custom butcher shop. I have cut over 1500 game animals so far this year and 90% were shot in the ass or through the back straps. witch tells me most hunters out here (Wyoming) either dont zero there rifle or they are shooting to far because they got on you tube looked up long range hunting pulled up best of the west long range and said i can do that. so they go out and try to shoot game animals and extreme ranges. shooting an animal at 300+ yards is not somthing you just go out and do. it takes practice. </div></div>

I can't tell you how many people I've heard singing the praises of these youtube videos. Excited that they want to shoot an animal from that distance, who have trouble hitting a beer bottle at 150 yards.

Folks is funny.

<span style="font-style: italic">I have never hunted a fenced area, neither low or high fences, would I most likely no, I have a opinion of fair chase that won´t allow it.

A big enough fenced area, in excess of for exampel 50 square kilometers, could be interesting, but still there is enough land free of fences that I can hunt.</span>

Good thing you don't live in the U.S. Hunting in the entire state of Missouri and a great number of other states would be off limits to you. Farmers fences haven't stopped any kind of wildlife from going where they wished. It would have to be a awfully high fence to contain deer and most other wildlife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">I have never hunted a fenced area, neither low or high fences, would I most likely no, I have a opinion of fair chase that won´t allow it.

A big enough fenced area, in excess of for exampel 50 square kilometers, could be interesting, but still there is enough land free of fences that I can hunt.</span>

Good thing you don't live in the U.S. Hunting in the entire state of Missouri and a great number of other states would be off limits to you. Farmers fences haven't stopped any kind of wildlife from going where they wished. It would have to be a awfully high fence to contain deer and most other wildlife. </div></div>

LOL yeah I've seen some deer jump some shit that looked like the "Matrix".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: butcher307</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i run a custom butcher shop. I have cut over 1500 game animals so far this year and 90% were shot in the ass or through the back straps. witch tells me most hunters out here (Wyoming) either dont zero there rifle or they are shooting to far because they got on you tube looked up long range hunting pulled up best of the west long range and said i can do that. so they go out and try to shoot game animals and extreme ranges. shooting an animal at 300+ yards is not somthing you just go out and do. it takes practice. </div></div>

Man, That's SORRY!!

Yeah ain't it great having BOTW and Johnny so close... I loathe the fact they ever put those guys on TV doing that... they market it and their junk optics like anyone can do this ... it's just that easy...

Speaking of BOTW, I had the TV on the other day while I was doing something and caught part of one of the episodes where it looked like he shot a big brown bear in the ass...that's sure to impress the youtube crowd.
crazy.gif

Was it John who made the shot?

'twas funny, 2 years ago ( at the Harrisburg Sportsmans Show ) he was trying to tell a world record holder in 1k BR how to shoot and the process of long range shooting. We were laughing our ass's off.

ya weda its great having the long range pros around. I got to handle one of there guns the other day. Its not worth it. scope was crocked tally one piece basis and rings crowning looked like crap action was rough not worth the 5 grand the guy paid. and i dont like the huskama scope my conus has better glass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad Arnett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speaking of BOTW, I had the TV on the other day while I was doing something and caught part of one of the episodes where it looked like he shot a big brown bear in the ass...that's sure to impress the youtube crowd.
crazy.gif
</div></div> There were three unethical shots in that show! If I have the right one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RUM Lover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I chuckle every September when the guys start showing up with their deer rifles on the range. The guns haven't been cleaned since they bought them, they're using the same box of cheap ammo they bought several years ago, and they are happy with hitting a pie plate at 100y off a sand bag. The best thing those of us with greater knowledge can do IS TO SHARE THE KNOWLEDGE. If they figure out what they and their rifle are capable of, hopefully they will take the time to improve their skills. This issue goes beyond hunting, it is at the root of problems facing the shooting sports worldwide.</div></div>
I am "friends" with a guy who complains that his shooting skills are shit. I have offered to help him out a few times. One day we were at his house talking guns. He pulls out a beautiful Rem. 700 300WM. Looks brand new. I ask "How many times have you shot it?" He answers "30" I figure if he has shot this rifle 30X he is at least getting out with it.
"How long have you had it?"
"I bought it when I started hunting."
"15 yrs. ago? You only shoot this twice a year?"
"No, I'm on my second box of ammo in 15yrs."
"What kind of .22 do you have?"
"This is my only gun."
This past season he gut shot a 5X5 bull elk at 350yds. He told me he shot it "through the chest, it came out its ass and ran 30yds." His wife told me "He shot it in the belly. Then it ran 400 yds. Took 3 hrs. to find it and it was still alive. Then he shot in the ass when it got up to run. Then he shot it through the chest. Then it died." The look on my face must have been a dead give away to what I was thinking. She asked "Is that bad?" She then told me some other stories from years past. WTF?

It's been my experience that some people care about these types of things. Help them. It's not worth it to bother with the remainder.

Ole Johnny has him self on video shooting a skylined elk at over 500 yards... wonder how many dead hunters are on the next ridge.

he also thinks he's a gunsmith.. lol

Growing up in PA. I have run across my share of 3 shots at a pieplate and I'm good to go hunters...

the TV shows have made to many armchair experts.

I'll give one example of my experience with hunters who have limited skills.....

My dad! He fills his tag every year and rarely ever has to put a second round into it...but he can't shoot paper to save his life! Does this make him a second-rate hunter? I don't think so...He fills his tag EVERY year. I've seen hunters that could shout a .25 MOA at 200 yards that go home empty handed! The difference between shooting and killing/harvesting is world's apart. Those hunters who are happy with shooting their plate sized target and "good to go" may be some of the best hunters out there.....I didn't say they ARE the best, just that they MAY be the best sometimes. Don't knock every guy at the range. I do have my share of problems with the range guys and therefore only go to the range to break in a barrel on a new gun. What a wonderful topic!!

Bravo Zulu

Wlfdg I am "friends" with a guy who complains that his shooting skills are shit. I have offered to help him out a few times. One day we were at his house talking guns. He pulls out a beautiful Rem. 700 300WM. Looks brand new. I ask "How many times have you shot it?" He answers "30" I figure if he has shot this rifle 30X he is at least getting out with it. "How long have you had it?" "I bought it when I started hunting." "15 yrs. ago? You only shoot this twice a year?" "No said:
You need to punch that dude in the face. SOB!!

What is BOWT??

i saw a ad on the Remington website for a 770 that said its bore sighted and ready to hunt out of the box. whats sad is that some guy will go and do that.

that's funny you say that...i took my model 7 to academy and had a new scope put on it and they employee that put it on said he made sure to put the crosshairs 1 inch high like I asked when he bore sighted it so that it was "ready to hunt."

Let me tell you about those "ready to hunt" 770's. I had the opportunity due to a few clueless old gents trying to zero their rifles to be invited by them to help if I would after they hadn't hit a backstop after a box of ammo through a scoped 30-30. They saw my shooting was respectable and pulled out a brand new 770 in 270 and offered to let me break it in for them.
When I put it on sandbags at 100 yds with a bullseye centered in the barrel the crosshairs were about 2 ft right and a foot high. They were skeptic as I spun the dials on the cheap Bushnell scope and beat the shit out of it to settle the cogs. Shot 1 was on an regular sized sheet of paper. I had thier attention. 3 rounds later the rifle was shooting about an 1.5 inch group an inch high at 100. The gent who had bought it had a few choice words about "ready to hunt out of the box".
After putting 2 shots on the target(Sad but better than where they started) the gent declared he wasn't touching the zero and put the rifle away. Maybe its a marketing ploy to sell more ammo by selling them out of zero. This is not the worst story I have. Last year in a similar situation a 710 bought at the same Wal-Mart in 300WM would not hit a 3' sheet of paper at 25yds for an old guy that bought one. Upon looking at the brass for problems and firing the rifle I got 2/5 rounds on the board. They were KEYHOLED!!! That had to be safe! I declined further offers to fire the weapon and recommended they get thier money back as this was a safety issue. "Ready to hunt out of the box" indeed. I don't help many people at the range, but old timers who ask probably don't have a long time to learn.

the only thing worse than those types are the ones who want to lean over your shoulder and then talk your ear off! they wanna talk about their basic hunting rifle that shoots .5moa at 200 yards with factory ammo....until everyone goes down range and "she ain't shootin great today?!"