• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Average match fee

Lesco Brandon

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 1, 2018
I’m new to PRS and my local PRS matches are $90 for single day and $250 for 2 day competitions.

Coming from a background of $20 matches this is obviously a bit of a shock.

Without sounding douchy
1) what’s the average cost per match in your area
2) why are these matches significantly more expensive

$50-60 one day match 10 stages usually meal included. Not sure why a 2 day jumps up to $250-$275 maybe having to pay RO,s. All of our one day matches are self ROed

$50-60 one day match 10 stages usually meal included. Not sure why a 2 day jumps up to $250-$275 maybe having to pay RO,s. All of our one day matches are self ROed
The amount of work and cost to do a 2 day versus a 1 day. Much bigger range and likely range rental fees. More targets. More indicators. Shirts. Catering. All the admin time you dont have for a normal 1 day like sponsors and ROs etc etc

$35-40 for local matches in New England (Minuteman Precision Rifle League)

$75-100 for club matches (most are 10 stages, lunch provided, nice trophies)
$250-285 for 2-day (2 lunches, sometimes dinner, nice trophies, shirts, etc)

I refuse to shoot the $90 one-day matches in Ohio, there are two places within the same driving distance from me that offer them for $30. I'll shoot those for practice/data collection to get ready for the two-day matches (around $275). I understand there are people willing to pay $90 and prefer the one-day format offered at that price point, but for what I use the one-day matches for I can't justify the cost.

Simple... Because the market is willing to pay it. If people wouldn't pay 275 they wouldn't be able to charge it

Reactions: RS14
Simple... Because the market is willing to pay it. If people wouldn't pay 275 they wouldn't be able to charge it

While that definitely plays a part in it, PRS/NRL type matches also require significantly more land to host a match, there's steel to buy/repair, etc.

Reactions: RS14
While that definitely plays a part in it, PRS/NRL type matches also require significantly more land to host a match, there's steel to buy/repair, etc.

In economics those are production costs and have nothing to do with demand. The market drives producers to maximize profit and set their price accordingly. The consumer gets to choose if they will buy at said price so it's simple.... The fact that people are willing to pay it, matches can charge for it regardless of the actual costs. Obviously it's in the surviving interests of the prs/nsl match director etc to charge a price that is worth their time and if those costs are 275 a match great...but those costs are irrelevant if the market is only willing to pay 20 bucks....

There's a lot more overhead with 2-day matches than 1-day matches. My club only charges $40 for 1-day matches though. We have small trophies that we give out but that's it. For our 2-day matches, we charge between $200-250. The year we charged $250 we had to pay the range $50 a shooter. We also provide meals both days, t-shirts, much larger trophies, swag bags, new steel, new props, tablets for Practiscore, back up batteries, timers (because cell phones and egg timers are stupid at a national level match), radios, etc. We can keep the costs low for our local events by reusing the stuff we buy for the 2-days.

$40-60 for a one day match.

The two day match I just shot was $275. I had the opportunity to see some of what it took to put that event together. Given the time, energy and expense that I believe went into making that event happen I have no issue with the price tag.

Reactions: Byedan01
I refuse to shoot the $90 one-day matches in Ohio, there are two places within the same driving distance from me that offer them for $30. I'll shoot those for practice/data collection to get ready for the two-day matches (around $275). I understand there are people willing to pay $90 and prefer the one-day format offered at that price point, but for what I use the one-day matches for I can't justify the cost.
Im in NE Ohio, besides Reyners, what other match is there in that price range?

I'm with @Chuggles . I refuse to pay $90 for the higher prices matches in Ohio because of other options. If I can't get a qualifier I may have to shoot one of the pricey matches, but Rayner's has a shoot every month for 1/3 the price and they do 22 prs matches afterwards for like $10-$15 I think.. Kentucky is $25 I believe, but I haven't made it there this year yet. I agree the price is whatever people want to pay, and I think eventually the matches will all become closer in price if numbers begin to fall at the higher prices matches.

Reactions: Chuggles
Coming from 3 Gun land I can't wrap my head around precision rifle match costs.

I just went to a big 3 day major 3 gun match. 9 stages, a big range shut down for a week, elaborate shoot houses built, paths cleared in the woods, conex boxes moved around to build platforms on top of, cars and other props moved, paper targets that only last so long, clay targets are one use only, lunch all three days, pizza and beer at night, huge staff that ran their asses off all three days, 10x the amount of rules that need to be enforced, match shirts, huge prize tables, coordination with local businesses and hotels, and a million other backstage things I'm not even aware of all for $250 iirc.

Small locals still require a ton of work, they average $25. Big locals with prize tables, tropies and lunch are still only $60.
I've never seen a precision rifle match that required the setup of one big 3 gun stage.

Last edited:
I’m new to PRS and my local PRS matches are $90 for single day and $250 for 2 day competitions.

Coming from a background of $20 matches this is obviously a bit of a shock.

Without sounding douchy
1) what’s the average cost per match in your area
2) why are these matches significantly more expensive

Down where I live, 1 day match is only 40 bucks!

Reactions: Lesco Brandon