• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Average target size in competition?

Wheres-Waldo

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2008
Unknown
Disregarding stages like KYLs’ what would you guesstimate the average target size is in a PRS event or an annual series?

1.5MOA? 2MOA?

2-3 moa for most positional stuff, 1-2 moa for prone with the larger end of that being more common. There are becoming more events where you have a pair of targets say 3moa and then 1moa at any given distance so everyone can get some hits but still differentiate those that can see where on the plate and get the second hit on a 1moa plate.

Despite what all the swinging dicks around here make it sound like, its really hard to make 80% hits all day long on 1moa targets in the wind (even prone). That said - don't train on anything larger than a 2 moa or you'll get sloppy.

When shooting at a personal setup -I have 2 & 1 moa pairs. 2 moa if its windy, 1 moa if its not.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveM and RS14
2-3 moa for most positional stuff, 1-2 moa for prone with the larger end of that being more common. There are becoming more events where you have a pair of targets say 3moa and then 1moa at any given distance so everyone can get some hits but still differentiate those that can see where on the plate and get the second hit on a 1moa place

Despite what all the swinging dicks around here make it sound like, its really hard to make 80% hits all day long on 1moa targets in the wind (even prone). That said - don't train on anything larger than a 2 moa or you'll get sloppy. W

When shooting at a personal setup I have 2 & 1 moa pairs. 2 moa if its windy, 1 moa if its not.
That's a big Ten-4. I keep a "big&small" plate at each distance on my home range.

.4 to .6 mils is about average. .8 to 1 mil being on the larger side.

For barricade practice I shoot at a .3 at 300 yards and .4 at 400 yards. Keeping it small.

Reactions: chawk
I try to train with smaller targets when possible, but I find myself crunched for time and like a larger target to get the wind call right the first time or to verify a shot call when practicing positional versus chasing splash in the mud. Guess theres benefits to that too. But agree with the strategy of throwing in a small target to hone in on technique there.

What I stumbled on that kind of does both is a IPSC torso target with an 8" center flipper. Gives a big piece of steel to better spot but then also a smaller aiming point to mostly simulate a match size target.

Reactions: Rocketvapor
I try to train with smaller targets when possible, but I find myself crunched for time and like a larger target to get the wind call right the first time or to verify a shot call when practicing positional versus chasing splash in the mud. Guess theres benefits to that too. But agree with the strategy of throwing in a small target to hone in on technique there.

What I stumbled on that kind of does both is a IPSC torso target with an 8" center flipper. Gives a big piece of steel to better spot but then also a smaller aiming point to mostly simulate a match size target.

Crunches for time as you have a hard time building a position when training or crunched for time as you don’t get out much?

I find myself crunched for time and like a larger target to get the wind call right the first time or to verify a shot call when practicing positional versus chasing splash in the mud. Guess theres benefits to that too.

I actually kind of like using that element of missing a small target due to wind as part of my training. Some days I'll shoot at the 1MOA target at 525 yards with my 223 even when the wind is ripping. Hit percentage goes way down, but I focus on seeing where the splash in the dirt was, making a correction and trying to get back on target. I think of it as training for spotting your misses. :)

Crunches for time as you have a hard time building a position when training or crunched for time as you don’t get out much?

It usually is I have from daylight to 11 on a Sunday to shoot and thats it lol

I actually kind of like using that element of missing a small target due to wind as part of my training. Some days I'll shoot at the 1MOA target at 525 yards with my 223 even when the wind is ripping. Hit percentage goes way down, but I focus on seeing where the splash in the dirt was, making a correction and trying to get back on target. I think of it as training for spotting your misses. :)

Yeah there's a benefit to that for sure. I struggle when its a 12 mph wind, grass 4 feet tall in the background and it rained every day the week before. Rounds gone into the abiss.

Reactions: Sheldon N
.4 to .6 mils is about average. .8 to 1 mil being on the larger side.

For barricade practice I shoot at a .3 at 300 yards and .4 at 400 yards. Keeping it small.

Omg, you referenced target size as a mil at distance.
What type of sorcery is this?
Blasphemy?
If you teach it they will learn?
93EAD4F5-B1A7-418C-BE5F-713E386FD8A2.gif

Did you use the ruler in your scope or did you measure with ruler in hand and convert to millimeters? Asking for a friend?

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
He probably was just citing that he increases size with distance and still considers it small.

But the punishment looks ?

What do most competitors use in PRS....Mil or MOA?

The vast majority of shooters use Mils.

But - at least in the US - most targets sizes are described in MOA... because most folks know distance and are told target size, so rough MOA approximation is super easy. It's way easier to be told that target at 895 is an 18" circle, and then roughly guess that that's a 2 MOA target. You have to do a lot of math to end up at .6 mils (unless you know that for this guesstimation, .3 mils is a close enough equivalent to 1 MOA)

Reactions: generalzip