• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Average Time for Smith

Dag34

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
What is the average time it takes to have your preferred smith chamber a barrel for you?

I am curious what the industry average time is for this service and want to hear what my fellow customers have to say verse calling and asking. I find quoted time verse actual time can vary tremendously between companies.

It depends wildly.
Some shops are pretty fast
Some of the smaller individual places are more like, put in an order, go raise a couple children, rifle will be ready about when you have time for shooting again.

i believe LRI is doing a 96 hr turnaround on barreled actions, the smiths that i have used is about 4 weeks. Not sure where you are located or who you may want to use.

Many Smiths are artists and the wait time can be 6 months to 1 year..... I have a local guy who works quickly... I can wait to have a barrel threaded... I don't know how long to have a chamber cut... probably a few weeks IF he is accepting new work

The guy i use does one in a day two at most.
He takes no more work than a week at a time.

i have 2 smiths the one trapshooter is talking about...for a extra $100 i can drop my action and a blank off at 7am and pick up a threaded barreled action by 2pm...my other smith is usually a day or two...i cant image waiting months for a barrel.

I used a smith local to me. His name is Eric Goss, owner of Axisworks in Tempe AZ. Originally quoted 6 weeks. Dropped off my parts, and was told 2 weeks. 9 days later I picked up my first custom barreled action. 3 weeks from parts procurement to complete build. I was pretty stoked about that.

Last edited:
Any known "Artists" in the DFW area?

I have heard good things from others about Gene Williams in Princeton, TX 214-673-5510

I however haven't used him myself, so I can't speak from first hand experience.