• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Average weight of PRS rifles?

VKC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Battle Born, U.S.A.
Anyone know what the average weight of complete rigs are in the PRS? Rifle, scope, bipod, ammo, etc.

PRS: Precision Rifle Series

As well as typical barrel contours and lengths?

Any trend to lighter rigs with shorter barrels due to barricade and non-prone shooting?

No, the trend is long barrels and most speed. Its a game of inches. Guys want all the speed they can get to get an edge. Short barrels are rare. I've been to one PRS match and the winners were all running 24"-28" barrels.

I'd also add, you'll see some range, but most guys are using an adjustable stock or chassis, at least a Rem Varmint or heavier, and a heavy scope. You'll see most rifles are 12 lbs to 18 lbs.

I'd also add, you'll see some range, but most guys are using an adjustable stock or chassis, at least a Rem Varmint or heavier, and a heavy scope. You'll see most rifles are 12 lbs to 18 lbs.

Is that 12-18 pounds for just rifle or for everything, scope, bipod +/- monopod included?

Everything except magazine/ammo.

My rifle with an S&B, can, and bipod is like 17 lbs.

I'm shooting the PRS this year, got 13th at the MRMBC (suspected faulty scope) and 3rd and the SHC (known good scope). My rifle full up weighs 15 pounds, 22" pretty heavy contour, shooting .243 Win, and the stock has spacer LOP and KMW hardware in the cheekpiece. hope that helps.

Geb

My defiance, rock solid stock, benchmark medium palma, and PR 5-25 is roughly 14.5 pounds ready to rock

I'll be damned. I thought my recent semi custom Savington 260 was going to be way too heavy to use in such competitions, at 15.6 pounds - everything but ammo in the magazine. Guess not!
-don't compete (in prs at least)
-Modified savage fcp-k action, modified bolt/handle/extractor cam
-modified hs precision tactical stock
-Krieger 5r 8.5tw heavy target, 26", apa little Jimmy brake, chambered 260rem
-mk4 m5 TMR reticle (6.5-20)
-15.6lbs

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373607531441.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373607531441.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Great info guys. Getting on a roll.

Let's define future responses better with the following info, if possible, to make this thread more informative.

- whether you actually compete in PRS
- rifle make/action
- stock
- barrel contour and length
- optic
- total weight with scope, bipod, no ammo.

Thanks.

I would be interested to know what contour of barrels commonly used. In the thread listing what equipment the guys shooting PRS competitions use list barrels but no contour. I think that would be useful information. Can anyone provide some insight. Thanks.

Not PRS rifles but i have been doing this long before the PRS. My match rifles are averaged around 16-18 pounds fully loaded. They have mostly 26" barrels but I had a 28" before setting it back. The 28" is an MTU and my others are M24/M40 contours. No problem on barricades or non prone positions. Actually very stable off barricades. Manners T3 sticks and S&B 5-25 on top.

Reactions: camocorvette
PRS- Yes.

Action- Rem 700s
Stock- McM A4s
Barrel contour- M24/M40s
Length- 22-27 " (Depens on chambering- 22" = 708, 26" =260, 27" = 6x47 Lapua)
Optic- Bushnell G2DMR
Mounting hardware - Seekins and Badger Ordnance
Weight- 17lbs +

Kinda wild how PRS has changed so drastically since 2013 in what people run. Thought it would be cool to post my builds compared to the builds listed in this thread.

My rifles

Main:
Impact Precision 737r
Bartlein A Team Contour 6XC 1-7.5
Leupold Mark5XHD 7-35x56
Leupold Rings
MDT ACC
TT Diamond
APA Lil Bastard Brake
Rear Weight, Steel Rider, Baker Wings, SP Double Weights, Internal MDT Weights
Weight: 25-27lbs

Back up: