• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AW and small rifle primers

bward

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 22, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
To all of you who are shooting or have shot an AW in 6.5x47 or any other small rifle primer caliber, did you have an issue with piercing primers? My understanding is that the bolt is unable to be bushed. It seems like I read somewhere there was a fix for the firing pin, but I cannot locate it. Can someone provide their experience?

Re: AW and small rifle primers

I shoot my AW in 6BR with pretty hot loads and I’ve never had a pierced primer. FWIW.

I used CCI #41 primers. If it still blows them, run Reloader 17. The firing pin is not the matter. High pressure is.

I realize pressure ultimately causes pierced primers, but by bushing a bolt you can run substantially higher pressures without piercing the small primers. I won't run RL 17 due to temp swings.

I know that. But you can't bush an AI bolt according to machinists. I'm not sure why. Might be because of hardness of material.

OCW method of load development makes obsolete the that ambient temperature swings disturbs accuracy. Sure. Temperature will move up and down. So will pressure. But it won't matter IF the load is the OPTIMAL load, hence the word "optimal".

Similar to Audette Ladder method, but improved. Check it out.

I fully understand te OCW method, but when you have to shoot a cold bore at 500-800 yards at a match, the 50-150 fps swings I and many other shooters around here have experienced will never work.

That powder and ocw is for professionals. ;))
Varget, 37.5, 123 Scenar does everything well in that round. I worked with it for two years.
The powder works. The load does not.