• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AW caliber change

beenjammin

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
What all is needed to get the AW .308 to shoot a .223?

barrel part is easy, but what do I need about bolt head and magazine? I saw some .223 AI mags, but were those for the AICS?

I guess I need to Pm Stacey about the bol, but I just wondered if anyone else has done such a thing.

It all started when ashooting buddy called me about wanting to buy a new .223 bolt rifle and tried to talk me into going in on a remington with him, but knowimg me, Id have to put it in an AICS and by that time I could have spent less on a neew barrel/bolt head for my AW.

thanks as always.

Re: AW caliber change

Had a similar discussion a while back with Stacey. I don't think AI is planning a 223 caliber rifle at anytime soon, so getting the bolt is going to be difficult to say the least. It's unless, you know a machinist who can modify the bolt (but you may void your warantee possibly).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Droopz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sell the AW and build a quality .223 in an AICS and pocket change? </div></div>

never!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why .223? Cheap ammo? Is it for plinking or varminting or as a trainer? </div></div>

To compete in the .223 class at hardrock, powder savings, more fun I dont know.... cant mix the brass up with my .308, long barrel life vs .300wm.

somthing to do..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just get a 243 barrel.forget 223. </div></div>

want to use in .223 class at my local match. .243s have shorter barrel life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Droopz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sell the AW and build a quality .223 in an AICS and pocket change? </div></div>

never!
smile.gif
</div></div>

Well, at the very least modifying an AE instead of an AW would (probably) save you the trouble of worrying about the magazine, since the AICS .223 10-rounders are available now. The real issue then would just be the bolt.