• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AW mag feeding issues.

farrar86

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Morning! I have a W3 with a Zeus action. Trying to make AW mags work. Mags I have are used, like 7 years old. Got them used so I'm thinking maybe they're worn out.

One round only, right side of mag, it feeds fine. Any more rounds they either hit the side of the chamber, or the bolt starts stripping the round but then rides over it.

I was told and I believe the lips on the mags have not been modified.

If someone has a spare known functioning mag I could buy or barrow that be cool.

Video:

1000005220.jpg
1000005221.jpg
1000005223.jpg
1000005216.jpg
1000005214.jpg

Is there enough vertical play in the magazine that you can push the magazine up tighter to the action by hand? If so, does it feed properly when held tight via hand?

AW and AICS mags typically require different height or adjustable height mag catches.

Is there enough vertical play in the magazine that you can push the magazine up tighter to the action by hand? If so, does it feed properly when held tight via hand?

AW and AICS mags typically require different height or adjustable height mag catches.
I will try. Looking at older threads about this, one guy said the primer should just clear the magazine looking at the back. Obviously mine are higher than that. I'll try pushing the feed lips down a little. I have to really tap the mag to get it to seat.

If you adjust the feed lips down, you're going to lower the rounds. Which means it will lower them in relation to the bolt body.

Since the mag latch is catching even though you have to tap the mag, its going to still sit at the same height in relationship to the mag lip on the magazine even though its easier to insert the mag. The end result of pushing feed lips down will be easier insertion of mag, but a lower amount of the round exposed for the bolt to pick up.

The Zues action doesn't have a lug oriented at 6 o'clock that would extend further down into the mag to strip a round......so it needs as much of the round exposed as possible.

Reactions: farrar86
If anything, widening the feed lips at the forward (towards muzzle) most point might help. Since the round is being pushed to the left or right and hits the breech face of barrel.

The starting but then riding over sounds like a weak mag spring, as soon as rd starts up feed ramp the spring isn't strong enough to keep rd up and bolt skips over it. Usually that will be more of a problem when magnus empty and not be noticeable as it's fuller. The lips look a little spread, closing them up will tuck top rd down a little but it will also keep casehead closer to centerline and maybe keep tip headed into chamber. There appears to be enough bolt/casehead overlap, and it sounds like mag is as tight to action as can be.

If anything, widening the feed lips at the forward (towards muzzle) most point might help. Since the round is being pushed to the left or right and hits the breech face of barrel.
Can't tell in vid and not super familiar with zues actions, but is there a lug raceway that case is contacting that is driving nose the opposite way?

Lips could be too close or too open. You'll have to mess with them to adjust the direction the tip of the round is being guided.

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 2.56.23 PM.png

Reactions: 6brshooter
Yes sir, that's what I envisioned in my head. Maybe feedlip is too far out and it's letting case get too sideways. Op, I've got some new or almost new at mags at home, ill get some pics of creedmoor rds in it to see how they compare to your image.

Last edited:
Got a pic of my 3 at mags with small primer 22creed
20240402_184059.jpg

2 lug and 3 lug(1 lug at 12 oclock) are always gonna be a crap shoot to get to run. Any particular reason you want to use at mags? Master race(lol) badger 2013.....
20240402_184206.jpg

Any particular reason you want to use at mags? Master race(lol) badger 2013....
Im trying to keep the mag profile down. Also like the easy feeding. I ordered some MDT mags that will hopefully solve my issue of mag wobble when shooting off barricades. I ordered a mag lip tool, hoping adjusting them a little helps. The springs may be worn out, again got these mags used. Was told theyre about 7 years old.

Reactions: 6brshooter
Im trying to keep the mag profile down. Also like the easy feeding. I ordered some MDT mags that will hopefully solve my issue of mag wobble when shooting off barricades. I ordered a mag lip tool, hoping adjusting them a little helps. The springs may be worn out, again got these mags used. Was told theyre about 7 years old.
You can pull the follower and spring and stretch it out. Brand new AW magazines are shipping and won’t feed. They don’t have nearly enough upwards spring pressure and what is there is forward biased causing the ass end to dip. I had to work all of mine over or the bolt would over ride the cartridge and my action has a 6:00 lug unlike yours. This may or may not be your problem but it’s a cheap place to start.

I've got a solus 22 creed pva barreled action coming, hoping to use at mags but if it is a pain, I'll stick with aics. I find your comment on easy feeding interesting. I always felt the center feed aics, with its inline feed path, to be smoothest feeling.

Got a pic of my 3 at mags with small primer 22creed View attachment 8387572
2 lug and 3 lug(1 lug at 12 oclock) are always gonna be a crap shoot to get to run. Any particular reason you want to use at mags? Master race(lol) badger 2013.....View attachment 8387576
This is the elephant in the room. For the most part, if there isn't a lug in the 6 o'clock position, there's a chance to be some feeding issues with double stack, double feed mags.

You can pull the follower and spring and stretch it out. Brand new AW magazines are shipping and won’t feed. They don’t have nearly enough upwards spring pressure and what is there is forward biased causing the ass end to dip. I had to work all of mine over or the bolt would over ride the cartridge and my action has a 6:00 lug unlike yours. This may or may not be your problem but it’s a cheap place to start.
Well shit....I ordered 2 last night. Going to a match tomorrow, mag tool I bought didn't ship on time so I'm at the mercy of someone at the match. I did pull the follower out of one that I have and noticed the spring was very light. But if they're like that from the factory, here's hoping it's the feed lip position.

I spoke with Joel via email about this. He said there shouldn't be any issue feeding from AW mags but he didn't have a W3 to confirm about the stock.

What action are you running? I'm really tempted to sell this Zeus and get a Tempest.

I am in the same boat as you are (Terminus Zeus + W3) and my setup seems to work. I did get an extended mag catch and slowly grind it down until a brand new AW magazine just barely locks into the chassis (I do have to use some upward force to get the magazine to lock into place). So far these work feeding 6.5CM without issue (probably about 400 or so rounds). I did have to readjust the feed lips on some older AW mags I had that I had been playing around with to try and get a 6BR with an HRD magazine kit to run (it never was 100%). If I remember correctly once the proper height had been obtained at the back of the magazine I opened up the feedlips on the front of the magazine (closest to the barrel) slightly.

Triad has aw mags in stock if you were wanting to try new ones. Or they did anyway

Reactions: farrar86
Yup bought two from them. Got the tracking number this afternoon, should be here Tuesday!