• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AW Mags in KRG Bravo

JeffreyD

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2021
Kennewick, WA
I built up a 308 for PRS matches that consists of a KRG Bravo, Defiance Deviant action, Benchmark barrel. I went with the AW magazine (this is my first bolt action custom rifle) due to the lower profile. I purchased the extended mag release per KRG to make the AW mags feed correctly (it only fed 50% with the stock mag release). I carefully fitted the mag release until it was a tight lock up with the mags. When first shots were fired, the gun spit the mags out after every round, all three mags. With help from KRG, I adjusted the fore end and then trigger guard to a tighter tolerance on the magwell and things were fine, until yesterday at my first match. One mag (and only one...I bought three brand new) ejected itself very 3 or 4 shots. The other two functioned fine. I cannot find any difference in them even measuring with dial calipers for tolerances.

Some thoughts I had that I am hoping I can get some input on are: 1) The lockup of the mags to the release is very tight, maybe this should have a small amount of play? 2) The latch engagement on the mags themselves is extremely minimal, should I consider a bit of relief work with a dremel to make a larger bearing surface?

I need to do something because my personality is to take my toys and go home if I can't trust my gun to run right (I did three gun for a few years and learned that reliability trumped everything in that game). I am new to PRS.....I am an old codger to boot (seems to be mostly a young persons game) so any help is appreciated.

I would say you're right on the edge of the latch holding the mags. Two just catch correctly and the other just not there. It's the recoil. I have a Tenacity, AW mags with HRD kits and it feeds 6br perfectly with standard mag latch. I did adjust magwell forward snug, but will still drop mags without needing to remove by hand. I'm surprised it didn't feed with standard latch.

Reactions: JeffreyD
With the standard latch, the mags were just low enough that every few rounds, it would not pick up the round with the bolt. Just sat a hair too low.

When I get to my next destination I am going to address the edge on the latch a hair more so the mag isn't quite so tight against the bolt, plus ensure the lip of the latch is square and angled like the original. I will also tighten up the mag well a bit more, then see if those steps work without actually touching the mag. Thanks for your help.

I have an extended latch on order for the same reasons. My lone peak needs just a little more purchase on the rounds to feed 100%. What did you use to trim your latch?

As I was dealing literally with "thousandths" of an inch, I used a quality flat file with the latch in a cloth in a vise. I would shave a few strokes being careful to maintain the profile, then pause and compare to the old latch. Install, test and do it again. The flat file surprised me by cutting a very smooth surface on the latch, but when I was done, I still used my gunsmith stones to polish. That last part probably isn't necessary as only the very tip catches and rides the mag latch, but hey.....

LOL....I don't know for sure. In my case, I am 65 years old. Where did I find a high quality flat file....In my 89 year old dad's tool box. He had them in all shapes and sizes, including tools that even I could not identify but must have had a purpose before power tools. I think you could find one in Lowes or Home Depot or even Ace hardware. Look for the individual file, preferably US made with a fine pitch (or is it tooth count, don't remember). The key is to remove only a small amount of metal in as smooth a profile as possible I believe.

Ha! Sounds like 80% of the tools I've got in my garage. Thanks for the tips, I'm so done with magazine issues, and I love the way the AW feeds when it feeds.