• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AW style 223 mags

Krob95

Black Multicam Master Race
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2019
    NoCo
    Reading through a certain thread on here, a lot of folks including myself seem to want AW mags that would be compatible for a 223 cartridge. Why hasn’t anyone with a 3D printer prototyped something like that as there seems to be a lot of interest in something like that.

Would it be easier to develop an insert for an existing AW mag body similar to what MDT does for their 223mags? A whole unibody, printed magazine? I know @Tyler Kemp is the print god. Maybe he could do something like that?

Thinking out loud here as it would be cool to have that option as AICS mags are lame.

Does anyone know if .223 feeds reliably from AW cut mags, even in AI short actions?

I'd think there would need to be excessively thick walls. Kind of like the way Rim-X mags are machined to fit AICS.
    so it's slightly heavier than a normal AW/AICS and still way lighter than a rimx mag

printing might be the way to go though just cost wise. (okay it's def the way to go but machined with a good design would allow for feed lip tweaks)

Reactions: SkyScrapin
    Prototype a poly mag and then make the same thing with a cnc. Have two options for mags. A cheap version and a not so cheap version, there would be a market for each

Short answer.....pretty much doesn't work.

Not to mention, the market would be far too small to justify the cost of molds/stamps for the large scale production. The molds and stamps for mags aren't cheap. And you'd need a far, far larger market than the hide and others. You'd need very, very widespread use to justify it. And that would be a very hard sell.

Same reason 12 round 223 mags with long OAL haven’t been made… a couple guys on the Hide clamoring for it does not make it a large enough market to justify it.

Reactions: E. Bryant
    Short answer.....pretty much doesn't work.

Not to mention, the market would be far too small to justify the cost of molds/stamps for the large scale production. The molds and stamps for mags aren't cheap. And you'd need a far, far larger market than the hide and others. You'd need very, very widespread use to justify it. And that would be a very hard sell.
    Yeah, notwithstanding the fitment to the magwell..there's a geometrical problem with .308 feed ramps running .223 cartridge. The presentation of the 223s when you double stack them is going to be narrower. So its not obvious the 223s will be in the right place to feed smoothly.

A mag adapter like on the MC to fit a AR15 mag into a AW magwell would be the ticket. But you would be limited on OAL of the cartridge.

@Tyler Kemp this looks like a project with your name on it !!
    I am currently helping a prominent company in the industry work on such a project. Industrial printing is the ticket, as there is plenty of demand, but folks are scared to drop the mold fees.
    We will pursue this as an MKM project if needed :)

I am currently helping a prominent company in the industry work on such a project. Industrial printing is the ticket, as there is plenty of demand, but folks are scared to drop the mold fees.
    The man him self has spoken! Hopefully something comes to fruition one way or another!

If at all possible, a longer COAL would be great, especially something north of 2.6"

Reading through a certain thread on here, a lot of folks including myself seem to want AW mags that would be compatible for a 223 cartridge. Why hasn’t anyone with a 3D printer prototyped something like that as there seems to be a lot of interest in something like that.

Would it be easier to develop an insert for an existing AW mag body similar to what MDT does for their 223mags? A whole unibody, printed magazine? I know @Tyler Kemp is the print god. Maybe he could do something like that?

Thinking out loud here as it would be cool to have that option as AICS mags are lame.
    I’ve got a few industrial grade printers. Will be very busy this month, but sometime in April I should be able to do it if someone sends me an oem mag to go off of.

Reactions: Krob95
    I’ve got a few industrial grade printers. Will be very busy this month, but sometime in April I should be able to do it if someone sends me an oem mag to go off of.
    Just a suggestion; if you're going through the trouble for .223, you'd probably want to consider 224 Valkyrie as well.

Reactions: W54/XM-388