• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AW with custom barrel, or custom built rifle?

jayjaytuner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2008
Geneva, New York
considering getting a aiAW and then selling the stock barrel, having a krieger done up for it.......or just order a custom rifle built up....

kinda leaning towards the aw for the fact i could get one in a reasonable time frame. will these shoot bug holes with a custom barrel like a custom would?

caliber wise, prob a 6.5 creedmore

Re: AW with custom barrel, or custom built rifle?

Dear sir, the original barrel will shoot at least as good as some other barrel. Generally, the only thing "custom" about some other barrel is if you specified the chamber dimensions, contour and length. Generally, only bench shooters specify chamber dimensions and since you're asking this question you aren't really that into chambers anyway.
The original barrel on an AW will shoot better than most shooters, if not all, an the quality of that barrel is at least on par with the best other barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear sir, the original barrel will shoot at least as good as some other barrel. Generally, the only thing "custom" about some other barrel is if you specified the chamber dimensions, contour and length. Generally, only bench shooters specify chamber dimensions and since you're asking this question you aren't really that into chambers anyway.
The original barrel on an AW will shoot better than most shooters, if not all, an the quality of that barrel is at least on par with the best other barrels.</div></div>

Or if he wants a different caliber than 243, 308, 300WM 338.

really only reason for getting rid of the barrel it comes with is i want to get one with a 6.5mm barrel...or else i would just use it..

I suggest you take a look at the various posts concerning AI's SHOT show announcements. If I am not mistaken, Stacey referred to AI gearing up to offer AWs in a more extensive selection of chamberings.

Yes this is correct. We are offering in 2010 many new chamberings in the .260, .243, 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5x47 Lapua and possibly the 6x47 Lapua all in short actions. I will be posting barrel pricing and options as soon as possible, they are in work. These will be exclusively Bartlein barrels with the 5R setup as well.

I heard Dave Tooley will be doing all the barrels for North America.

This is a partially true statement. Bartlein barrels, Dave Tooley finishing, these will be available in the new calibers we introduced this year first off, then later as replacement barrels. We are still offering the current barrels on our existing rifles till further notice.

I have an AI AW barreled up with a GAP (Moon) Bartlein 6.5 Creedmoor 23" #7 and LOVE it. Many great custom bolt makers including GAP but I much prefer the AW action and multiple barrels/calibers.

Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS