• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AWB Question

bassfishindoc

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2011
The Hills of East TN
Hey all, I saw an earlier thread discussing stocking up "assault weapons" out of fear of a new ban being put in place and that got me searching for info on the last ban. I was 17 when the last ban expired so it never affected my purchasing of weapons but now with the possibility of a new ban I have some questions that I cannot find answers to.

During the 94 AWB was it possible to upgrade pre-ban weapons, i.e., could I change the flash suppressor on my pre-ban rifle if a different one caught my fancy? If I owned a pre-ban lower could I assemble a full rifle complete with flash suppressor, adjustable stock, and bayonet lug? Or did the rifle have to be complete prior to the ban and no modifications allowed after the ban?

I know if a new AWB is put into place, there is no way of knowing what will be on it, but the past is an indicator of the future and I just would like some info about the past.

Thank you all for your help.

Re: AWB Question

When the original ban went through you could do anything you want with it other than changing it to select fire variations, SBR's or the like. You could put whatever you wanted on it. It was registered as an assault rifle and that is the way it stayed. That is the way it is still here in Kalifornia. Since it is still the law on the left coast the laws regarding where you can shoot also apply. Basically BLM land or private property only. No forestry land or any land owned by Kalifornia. Also you can't lend it to anyone unless you are "with" the rifle. Other garbage too. check these out.
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/awguide

Forgot to add. One of the funniest things I saw during this garbage. HK91 that had the muzzle brake/flash hider removed and a "1" STAMPED next the the 91 so it was now an HK911 and NOT an assault rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forgot to add. One of the funniest things I saw during this garbage. HK91 that had the muzzle brake/flash hider removed and a "1" STAMPED next the the 91 so it was now an HK911 and NOT an assault rifle. </div></div>

If nothing else that's creative but I wonder how it would have held up in court.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L3IRQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forgot to add. One of the funniest things I saw during this garbage. HK91 that had the muzzle brake/flash hider removed and a "1" STAMPED next the the 91 so it was now an HK911 and NOT an assault rifle. </div></div>

If nothing else that's creative but I wonder how it would have held up in court.</div></div>
It did in the original because they made the mistake of listing names only and not by feature. They "fixed" their mistake to cover that later so they could take more guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It did in the original because they made the mistake of listing names only and not by feature. They "fixed" their mistake to cover that later so they could take more guns. </div></div>

+1! The 911 models were just a stop-gap to deal with the '89 Bush import ban which ONLY referenced the HK91 by name. It was more or less left to the BATFE to determine what "evil features" removed a firearm from the "sporting" classification and placed it the "non-sporting" (and thus "banned") category. The 911 was a transitional "model" until HK could ramp up production of the more politically correct, neutered, fewer-featured SR-9 series rifles compliant with the ban which dropped: 1) the pistol grip in favor of the thumbhole stock; 2) the threaded muzzle for the non-threaded "sporting" barrel which took out the flash hiders/brakes; and 3) removed the bayonet lug. That's a GROSS oversimplification of all the @#$% that went down around the Bush '89 ban and leading ultimately to the '94 ban, but you get the idea.

As for any "new" ban on the horizon...I would say that the past is in NO WAY an indicator of what may be in store for us now. I would argue that any new ban will be far more broad and sweeping...there has even been some discussion of removing the "grandfathering" or "pre-ban" status altogether resulting in an outright BAN. At this point...the simple answer is wait and see. Only the good Lord and a bunch of @#$%ing politicians know what may be in store right now.

NY adopted it and we're stuck with the "evil features" bullshit.

A rifle you could shoot all day in PA without raising an eyebrow would get you sent to the 3-Bar Motel in NY for a LONG time.

I live 10 miles from the PA/NY border and am constantly reminded of how bad it's gotten here when I go to PA to shoot.

No flash hiders, "hi-capacity" mags, bayo lugs, the list goes ON and ON.

God help you if you're ignorant of the laws in this State, 922r compliance is hardcore in NY.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guy Montag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NY adopted it and we're stuck with the "evil features" bullshit.

A rifle you could shoot all day in PA without raising an eyebrow would get you sent to the 3-Bar Motel in NY for a LONG time.

I live 10 miles from the PA/NY border and am constantly reminded of how bad it's gotten here when I go to PA to shoot.

No flash hiders, "hi-capacity" mags, bayo lugs, the list goes ON and ON.

God help you if you're ignorant of the laws in this State, 922r compliance is hardcore in NY.</div></div>

The political ignorance of NY amazes me...Glad I live in a pro gun state. Long live the 2nd Amendment