• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AWC TurboDyne- 510 whisper pics up

dksd39

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2006
Hollywood, FL/ Kentucky
Yippie- paperwork came in and I just picked up the can. My 510 whisper project is finally complete. I know this thread is useless with out pics--I will get them up soon. Since I have already shot my 510 without the can I cant wait to try it out with this monster on it. Going to the range on friday- cant get here fast enough
smile.gif

Re: AWC TurboDyne- 510 whisper pics up

here are a few quick pics of the new 50 can- for a size reference the smaller can is a SAS 30 cal

canover.jpg

cans.jpg

well since you asked- its a crappy video since we I forgot my good camera but you will get the idea. I am shooting API at 1000fps- the targets are 1/2" AR500 from LVshooter. The round goes 3/4 thru the target and the fireball blackens the face of the target. More fun than anyone should be allowed to have with their clothes on lol. My shooting partner set a 308 round next to the target for a size reference.

APItarget.jpg

HOLY COW that can is big , why so big for the 510 Whisper (unless thats a 50-BMG can)? it is based on the 338 Lapua correct?

Being that the 338 Lapua necked up makes the round much more effecient and using faster powder and less of it I would think that the suppressor woulden't need to be much bigger than a can made for a 300 win or 338 Lapua. The trouble with the big bores though is that so much gas still gets out of the bore.

I had the chance to shoot a 510 that was intrigal suppressed , and it was freeking awsome the can was only 1.35" OD but like 12" worth of baffels after the muzzle of the barrel

Yes this is a 50 BMG rated can- It is not cost affective to have a can custom made for the 510 whisper. Now I can at least swap the can from this to a barrett 50 as my rifle is threaded the same

I got one from Elite Iron for about $700 last year. It's a lot more cost effective than the BMG cans, lighter too.

learn something new every day- never even heard of elite iron. I will be checking them out to see what they offer. Thanks... While lighter would be nice- this one can will work with the 510 and a 50bmg which is still better than buying one for each.

yea, I thought long and hard on that one as well. I finally decided that I couldn't afford to feed a BMG if I ever got one. I tried to take a deer with it last year, but never got an opportunity. Maybe next year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dksd39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yippie- paperwork came in and I just picked up the can. </div></div>

What action is this on? How accurate is it? I have an Encore in 510W with a form 1 silencer but is is only a 2 moa gun with surplus bullets. It is better with amax but they are too expensive.

The API sure are a hoot to shoot. Mine will go about half way through a 1 inch steel plate. Sometimes I can find remnants of the bullets up range from the target. The ones below are M33 ball. The core is a mild steel which bends instead of staying in shape or cracking.

510whisperball.jpg

Ranb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What action is this on? How accurate is it? I have an Encore in 510W with a form 1 silencer but is is only a 2 moa gun with surplus bullets. It is better with amax but they are too expensive.
Ranb </div></div>

The action is a Phoenix Machine with a 16" Brux barrel. With A-max rounds I am easily under moa. Much like you- surplus bullets are 1.5-2 moa. While I have not been able to get amax groups with anything else I will say the Lehigh and Barnes bullets are showing well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badkarma85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice setup. Next time your in the area feel free to bring that by so I can check it out
smile.gif
</div></div>

I will bring it in when my SRS case comes in

Sounds good. We will be leaving next week for Knob Creek so I will give the guys your info and make sure they call you if I leave before the case comes in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dksd39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The action is a Phoenix Machine with a 16" Brux barrel. </div></div>

Should have asked before. How much does it weigh with and without the can? My Encore is rather light, 7.5 pounds without the silencer. The 1.9 pound silencer really helps on the recoil, especially with the 950 cast bullets. I only shoot subsonic, ever try supersonic?

Ranb

As pictured without the can it weighs 16#s and with the can it is 21#s. I have not tried any supersonic yet but may down the road.

That setup makes it a pussycat in the recoil department I bet. Sometimes I just do not like my Encore recoiling all 7.5 pounds of it into my face.

Ranb