• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Awe S*%t moment.

TN-MadDog

Minuteman
Feb 6, 2009
Ooltewah, TN
Was priming some new brass on my Forster Co-ax press. Must have caught the edge on a piece of brass and got a sliver down in the priming mechanism. I didn't notice that it was putting a crease in the primers until I had primed eight more pieces. Kinda shocked me that it made that big of a mark.

I am very cautious when loading but didn't notice this while I was doing it even though I usually slide my thumb across each one as I am moving it from the press to the loading block. I think that I will put some more light over my loading bench. Maybe I would have caught it sooner if the light was brighter.

I deprimed them all with out incident but was a lesson learned. Anyone else ever have this happen?

creasedprimer001_edited-1.jpg

Re: Awe S*%t moment.

Yeah, a couple times when loading 223 progressively. I had a rogue case that was not primer-pocket swaged from .mil 1x fired.

It was bulk grade ammo at best; I just shot the stuff and didn't worry about it.

I've had this happen on my CoAx as well, shot them. Didn't effect them at all, and I still prefer to prime with the press over anything else.

Glad to hear that I am not the only person that has had that happen.

I thought about shooting them like that but decided that primers are pretty cheap and I would feel better getting rid of them before loading.

I have a Sinclair hand primer but don't really like it. I have been priming with the press quite a bit and feel that I can be more consistent with it.

I have had a kernel of powder get caught & make a similar mark on the primer. I used them for sighters or when changing scopes. Never had aproblem with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 95LTZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had a kernel of powder get caught & make a similar mark on the primer. I used them for sighters or when changing scopes. Never had aproblem with them. </div></div>

This^^

I don't even relegate them as "sighters" anymore. They shoot just fine.

it happens once in a while during bulk loading pistol ammo, it looks bad but shoots jusst fine, i am no making jewelry so it doesn't matter how it looks as long as it works.

Yep, have gotten a bit of swarf on the primer punch on my dillon, made a box of moon marks - no effect afaict.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 95LTZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had a kernel of powder get caught & make a similar mark on the primer. I used them for sighters or when changing scopes. Never had aproblem with them. </div></div>

This^^

I don't even relegate them as "sighters" anymore. They shoot just fine. </div></div>

This^^^

Just shoot them. I have never seen a difference in accuracy/velocity.

Never had that happen before with my Co Ax but I can see how it could. I love the consistency of their priming tool but I wish it had some type of a feeding system.

heppened to mee, with the powder, made a nice little dimple on .223 i was loading.. they shot just fine. probly did about 50 or so before i noticed