• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Awesome Range Session

clmayfield

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
I bought a Marlin 917VS (17 HMR) recently and was happy to report that my groups shrunk by half compared to my previous gun (so it wasn't just me). I have been averaging right at 1 MOA with this rifle (counting all fliers). Today, I was shooting and really focusing on fundamentals. I read a post about knowing when your NPA is correct when you shoot and the reticle doesn't move. This gun doesn't recoil at all, so the reticle shift is minimal, probably an MOA or two, but clearly, I am doing something wrong if it shifts at all after firing.

In the morning session, I tried to minimize the shift by manhandling with my shooting hand, really trying to torque the fore of the stock down on the bipod... to no avail. It was tiring and yielded no real results (average was the same: 0.94 MOA), but I did shoot the tightest group I have ever shot... 0.56 MOA @ 100 yds.

I went away after the morning session and meditated on the results. I decided that my approach was all wrong and what I needed to do was to direct the full energy of the recoil into my body... basically, I needed to shoulder the weapon more firmly. I was using my cheek weld to ensure that the butt was in a stable position... in the past, I have always noted that fliers came from shooting based on trying to tense muscles to keep the butt down on the rear pad. In a stable position, I don't get fatigued from holding the position and the reticle will move only slightly on the target no matter how long I hold.

Anyway, I felt like the missing key was shouldering the weapon firmly. Unfortunately, prone is not allowed where I shoot, but the concept is the same... I need to direct the recoil into my body and ensure that the rifle is recoiling into my center of mass/inertia. I think the technique is as valid at the bench as on the ground as long as I employ that method as opposed to free recoil.

Anyway... for the results. I used the Sniper's Hide Group Target and shot the following:

Group 1: 0.97 MOA
Group 2: 0.76 MOA
Group 3: 0.72 MOA
Group 4: 0.61 MOA
Group 5: 0.63 MOA

Average: 0.74 MOA

On average, this is a full 25% improvement in accuracy! Even more importantly, you can watch the trend improve over the target. Before, I estimated that I was capable of getting 0.75 MOA out of this gun. Now, I am thinking an average of 0.65 or 0.60 MOA are within reach.

I was really excited with the improvement, so I thought I would post here. I still have a lot to work on... for instance, I tend to fire 3/4 of the way through my breathing cycle and hold as opposed to at the bottom, but a lot of the fundamentals are really coming together... it is always great to see and feel improvement. With a more accurate weapon, I can also be more sure that a flier is my fault and not the gun.