• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing AWFUL groups with Winchester premium silver tips

okangshooter

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2011
Bought a box of the above mentioned ammo in 168 gr for my Sav Mod 10 in .308 for an up coming hog hunt. It grouped horribly! Like 6" spread at 200 yards. I didnt even shoot the rest of it.

Anyone have exceptional results with a particular brand and model of hunting ammo in their Savage?

My gun shot 5 shots under an inch at 200 yards last week with M852 so I know it is capable of at least MOA accuracy with the right load.

How does the bullet used in the military M852 perform on big game?

Re: AWFUL groups with Winchester premium silver tips

I had the same results out of my 300WSM and 308 hunting rifles. It was a disappointment to say the least. I'm sure that ammo must perform in someones rifle but in was no good in mine.

One a side note, I put down two 300+ pound hogs with factory Barnes TSX ammo out of my 308. It turned the lights right off.

I also had very bad results with the Win ST's out of my 300WM. They aren't worth the money you pay. Remington Core-lokt's ran better out of the 300WM than the above mentioned. I don't like Winchester ammo at all....not even in my .22lr. If you are looking for a good hog round, check out Fiocchi. They make some really good ammo and at reasonable prices. I've been using Fiocchi ammo almost exclusively in my .204, .22lr and my .308. I'm getting better ballistics in my .204 with a Fiocchi 40gr vmax than I was with Hornady 32gr vmax's. And better groups down range.

Try these. $23 for a box of 20 at my local shop, prices may be different where you live. Here's some info on them.

Factory Velocity: 2650 fps
Product Number: 308MKB
Bullet: 168gr BTHP Sierra Matchking
Ballistic Coefficient: .447

Good luck.

That is unfortunate that they aren't working for you.. I have never tried them in my .308, but I have used them in my .270 and my .22-250 and they performed beautifully.. I guess that just goes to show that some rifles love factory stuff and others don't. I got a deal on the stuff thats why I bought it, but the accuracy and performance was what made me try it in other rifles.

This year I tried some cheap Federal stuff to get my new M700 .308 on paper and the stuff performed amazingly! I shot 3 deer with them this year, all through the neck, and they all went down. I was amazed with the performance. Try giving them a try. I was using 150gr. soft points.

~I have tried a lot of the factory stuff because my reload stuff isn't completely set up, but none-the-less, I have been extremely pleased.

Don't rule out Federal Power Shocks for the Savage. Yes, all rifles are different, and all perform well with what it likes. I have been more than pleased with the performance of the FPS's, especially for the price.

DK

My Savage is quite frugal, loves cheap ammo!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel.B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Savage is quite frugal, loves cheap ammo!

</div></div>

I'm shooting a Savage too. It loves the Fiocchi's but not Hornady.

Yep, try the cheap stuff. You might be suprised.

The ONLY rifle I have had to shoot any of the WIN silver tips was a Browning .243 micro medallion. It shot 1" and better at 100 hundred yards. Every other rifle I've tried them in, sprays them. I sold the boxes I had with the little Browning.