• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AWSM .300WM then .338LM?

KiwiShtr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2009
Advance, MO.
Hi All.
Ive been looking into a new AWSM. Im relatively new to LOONG Range shooting. Originally I was going to go with 338LM, But after looking at the cost of Ammo, its a little daunting (reloading isnt an option at the moment). So this is the plan I came up with.

Go with the AWSM in 300WM, do all the shooting/practise I can afford in this caliber (1/4 the cost of 338LM). Then when ability increases. Change out the barrel, Bolt and Mags to 338LM. (Anyone know the rough cost of Barrel/Bolt for AWSM338?)

Does this sound like a reasonable plan to any of you? I dont like buying things twice so want a good quality rifle to begin with, so I know its me thats making mistakes, not the rifle.

Any input/views or ideas you all might have woul be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
Dean.

Re: AWSM .300WM then .338LM?

You got the right idea. I have the AWSM in 338 LM and a semi custom Remy in 300 win mag. But in the future, I plan to get a barrel and bolt, then I will have two guns.

IIRC you are looking at in excess of $2000us for the parts--and that doesn't include the $1000 or so for the AI barrel change gear.

Check out the Desert Tactical. I went through the same mental gymnastics. (I want a 338LM- oh fuck, ammo super pricey. Ooh, look, a multi-caliber rifle. I can practice w/ the cheap(er) caliber and also play w/ the .338.) The cool thing about the DTA is the ability to change the calibers in 60 seconds, literally. Also, i think you can buy the DTA with both calibers (.338 and 300 wm) for less than the cost of the AWSM in a single caliber.

$2000 for a barrel and a bolt?.... HOLY CRAP!!

I think I might be gettin alot of practice time under my belt with 300wm before the switch up to 338. I want to stay with the AW system as we use them at back home. Plus they are a sexy looking Bang Stick. Also, while Im in a position to be able to afford one I'd better get i before I spend the money on something else.

Cheers for the input guys.

The bolt is going to be the worst part. You can source barrels and change kit components for MUCH less than AI prices.

GAP can spin you a barrel for a lot less and arguably better quality.

Not to mention my Badger M2008 barrel change is the same idea as an AI, and my whole barrel change kit (action wrench, torque wrench and barrel vice) cost me less than $300. Barrels also can be spun up by any custom shop. The bolt on the other hand is a slightly costlier issue, and no way around that.

Bolt is about 800.00 stripped last I checked but they will match the serial number to your rig which is kinda cool.

I am a big AI fan but after owning a AWM my interest is primarily with the 308 in 20". I dont see a huge advantage to 300WM and I'm a 300WM fan as well but at some point you just have to be honest with yourself as to what the end use will be. For a perfect intermediate to LR round the 300 gets my vote but 308 fits the bill for 80% of what I want in regards to range and cost. If I want to go further I'll skip the 300 and opt for the 338.

IMO you have a few solid options all costing relativly the same assuming 8K on the cheap side for an AWM and a 338 conversion.

First would be the Desert tactical scout as already mentioned. Second would be to go with TRG's as you can get one of each caliber for about the same cost as the AI with caliber swap. Finaly you could skip the AWM and get an AE MKII and the AWSM.

In the end I think there is a lot of pros to sticking with the same action and stock for each caliber as it affords more consistancy but there is no replacement for trigger time so a more economical caliber such as 308 makes a lot of sense (to me). Or you could just stick with 300wm and split the difference between the 308 and 338 in distance and cost, take the extra cash and invest heavily in ammo or components.

Hi Mate ,

You may need to re-think things IF you are looking at owning this rifle in the US , and then at some stage bringing IT home to New Zealand , the Odds are you will NOT get a export permit to ship this rifle outside the US , as they class it as a Mil/Police type piece of kit .

Thats what happened when I tired to get US Export Permit for a AWM rifle with fixed stock , and that was with all the correct NZ permits etc , problem was soley on the US end as they are now super paranoid .

What I did , was order mine straight out of the UK , no problems what so ever for teh same thing .

If you are not looking at bringing the rifle home to NZ , then I would look at your rifle options a bit more , and look at maybe the 308 AW rifle ( the 10rd mag and rifle is awesome , and this is what was designed for a 10 shot 308 ation , & then it was just lenghtened , it was not made wider , ie scaled UP correctly , to make the magnum version) .

If I wanted a 338LM at the moment , I would seriously look at a PGW DTI Timberwolf with folding stock , or the New scaled UP AI AX338 , 10rd mag , this is a properly scaled action in terms of a larger version of the 303 AW action .

Also look at maybe having 2 AI AWSM clones built using the Magnum Badger M2008 actions & Huber tac 2 stage triggers , for the same prive as 1 AI rifle .

Later Chris