• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes AWSM 300wm with S&B 5-25x56PMII.... Which AI Base?

KiwiShtr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2009
Advance, MO.
Hi all.
Ive finally bitten the bullet and have in my possession my shiny new AWSM 300wm (w/pic rail). Im fitting her out with an S&B 5-25x56 PMII with Mildot.

My question is, which AI base to use with it? The 28moa or the 45moa? I was originally going to go with the 45moa but was assured by someone that the 28moa would do the job. I know the 45moa is the one for the 338LM, but is it necessary for 300wm?

I also read in a couple of threads that the S&B5-25x56 wont fit in at 28moa base. Is this true?
Any draw backs to using the 45moa with 300wm?

Im 99.999% sure this has been covered in other threads, but for some reason Im not haveing much luck finding them specific to 300wm, so apologies for sounding like a noobie (still new to the hide and figuring out how to work the search).

So if anyone can point me in the right direction?... info...links to other threads?

(Ill post some pics when she gets fully dressed (and I figure out how to post pics lol))

Cheers All.

Re: AWSM 300wm with S&B 5-25x56PMII.... Which AI Base?

AI part# 5656 45moa for use with the S&B 5x25x56. That is the base designed for that scope.

I had a AI mount but ended up giving it away after I bought the NEAR Alphamount

aiaesb2.jpg

The AI has 3 small allen head screws to clamp. The NEAR uses the standard ( ie, like Badger, TPS, Leupold etc ) 1/2 nut . I have a torque wrench with 1/2 socket in my kit for all my other rifles

Overall build quality and beefiness is higher

I have a 20MOA and a 28MOA with a S&B 5-25X56 and both worked great. I had a 25MOA NEAR base on my TRG42 when I upgraded my scope so the 20MOA gave me the ideal 45 total.

The 28MOA will work for you

I think NEAR NEAR has a 28MOA in stock right now

Cheers for the info guys.
Found out that the 5-25x56 wont even fit in any other site mount by AI except for the 45moa without being machined. So really other than going with another maker (thanks for that trg42), the 45moa was the only option (want to keep option open to swith barrels to 338lm in the future). I wonder why I was told the 28moa AI would work fine? Hmmm.
So job done, question answered, time to hit the range.

Cheers.

Of course the 18 MOA and 28 MOA bases can be machined to fit.

Re: AWSM 300wm with S&B 5-25x56PMII.... Which AI B

fwiw & imho,
Stay with the 45 MOA AI Rail Mount for your AWSM. Richard Near is a mental furball. I rarely degenerate to this type of commentary, however, he is a talented machinist/engineer who is tremendously paranoid. I've wasted a goodly bit of time on the phone trying to buy various mounts from Near and the closest I've come is a sermon about why Schmidt Bender did not recommend NEAR over Accuracy International and Badger Ordnance. He is an extremely bitter man about not getting all the credit due him for the design of his rail/weaver/picatinny mount...

Right, wrong, or indifferent there are purpose built units on the shelf that are cheaper and backed up by the company that built the rifle system. Though my eye is on Suphr...(grin)

Regards, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270