• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AWT Chassis review for Savage S/A

JPShooter

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2010
N. Idaho
Hey Folks,

I have owned the AWT Chassis in a Savage S/A for about 2 months now and would like to let those interested know what I think of it so far.

About four years ago I bought a Savage Model 10 FCP-K, and it’s a superbly accurate rifle. It is a .308 with a heavy fluted 24” barrel with and Accu-Trigger and Accu-Stock. The stock was a typical hunting style that is not at all suitable for a long range precision rifle in my opinion. I just could not get the stock to fit me well in the prone position. So I went at it with Bondo one winter and converted it to something very much like a McMillian A5. It came out pretty well and very much improved the ergonomics. But in the end it was a homegrown Bondo conversion that weighed a ton, not really what I was after. So the search began.

When I found the AWT Chassis I was excited, because not only did it fit my Savage Mod. 10 but I very much liked the look of the chassis as well.

The quality/finish of the product is outstanding.

The adjustability is exactly what I was looking for and the chassis is rock solid when set to your liking.

I did however have to remove a small amount of material to make the chassis fit with the Savage bolt removal lever (done with a Dremel tool). The Model 10 that I have is the trigger guard button release version for bolt removal. The AWT Chassis has a small slot machined in the right side just above the foreword portion of the trigger area for access to the bolt removal lever. I’m not sure if it is just my rifle or not, but the hole is not long enough to get the lever far enough to the rear in order to release the bolt. As well there was material that was blocking the full movement of the lever to the rear. Shane had informed me that I would likely find it easier to actuate the lever from directly under the chassis via the trigger area, and he was right. It’s very simple to push the lever back via the bottom of the rifle with a slender object like an allen wrench or something similar.

I also added a nut to the threaded post that adjusts the height of the cheek rest (see attached photo). This allows you to remove the rest for cleaning rod clearance and quickly return to your previous setting without any drift. It also assures that the rest will not inadvertently move as some have noted being a possibility with the current design.

This rifle was a tack driver in it's original stock, and I was of course concerned that might change with a new chassis. No worries here, this rifle is still a tack driver! I can detect no change in grouping, it's still an easy 1/4 MOA shooter.

Over all I really do like the AWT Chassis and I am very happy that I chose this over the other options available as I simply don't find any of the other Savage compatible chassis to my liking as far as their looks. This is of course a personal preference item, but let’s face it, given the option most of us would chose to have our gear to be pleasing to look at. The guy on Mail Call Mondays called this the chassis that Batman would choose. I guess he did not like the styling as much as I do.

For full disclosure you should know that Shane has offered a free mag to the first 15 posters putting up a review of the chassis. I had fully intended to do this before he made the announcement as I am always one to support the new guy in the game if he has something worthwhile. There are not many reviews of this chassis out there, so I can understand his motivation. And Shane made it quite clear that he was not looking for any favoritism either, call it like you see it. I think that's fair enough.

I would like to add that I own a number of very high quality rifles so I am not easily impressed. I have two GAP rifles as well as a number of high end AR-15's. This chassis is as nice as anything else I own in my opinion, and I feel has taken my Savage up a few notches!

Pros:

Quality machining and finish.
Adjustable to fit even a tall shooter like myself with a long pull.
Light weight.
Looks very nice (personal preference of course).

Cons:

Had to remove some material inside the chassis for Savage bolt release lever.
Cannot use a 5 round Mag.

And yes, that's paracord wrapped around the two arms that extend to from the body of the chassis to the buttstock. I just like the look of it there :)

Attachments

• IMG_4586.jpg
    IMG_4586.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4587.jpg
    IMG_4587.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I'm liking mine a lot, yours looks good with the atlas and the cord wrapped buttstock arms.