• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes AX AICS Chassis Surgeon Scalpel / NF ATACR/ SPUHR mount help

Bob L Swagger

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2010
Base of the Appalachians
Im in the process of purchasing a SPUHR mount for a Surgeon Scalpel in an AX AICS chassis. Going to be running a NF ATACR 5-25x56mm optic and would like to know which height mount to get. I would like to keep the scope as close as possible to the forend without touching.

Thanks,

Bob

It's really easy to figure out.

Your Objective lens is 56mm, lets assume its 1mm wider for the actual tube metal. Thus a diameter of 58mm.

The radius of that is then 29mm, which converted to inches is 1.14"

So, with a totally flat surface, the minimum ring height would be 1.14". (Because ring height is measured from rail to center of mount)

Because the AX has a single rail, and hopefully your surgeon lines up with this, that is the applicable minimum ring height.

If you want to fit Butler Creeks etc then you need slightly more height.

I am assuming your Scalpel, like all others has 20MOA built in so you don't need a canted mount, and the scope has 120MOA anyway, so you will have plenty adjustment.

The ATACR is a 34mm tube and you will be mounting to picatinny so that gives you these options:

SP4001 (1.18") This is the lowest that will fit but there will be very little clearance, not enough to get a Butler creek on.
SP4006 (1.34") This should be the lowest whilst retaining adequate clearance for scope caps and any mis-measurements
SP4002 (1.46") High. I have these to enable me to be closer in line for NV Equipment, you need to raise the cheekpiece about 13-15mm to see properly.

I am running 1.375" on my AX chassis(no top rail) with a 50mm NF and I have a little extra clearance for my objective. My guess is it would be near ideal with your 56mm.

*I could probably run 1.265", but definately not any lower.

Last edited:
We Run the 1.46" mounts with 5-25 S&Bs on the PSR guns and they work great. I'd be scared to go much lower. The cheek weld is much higher on an AX than it is on a rifle with a A-5 or some other standard stock.

I run a 4006 for the 591/AX combo with a S&B 5-25x56. It's perfect.

Bob i have a better solution why dont you send me ax stock and the scope ill figure it out for you then ill custom fit a ring for them and send it back... dang u! U got me drooling on your set up:) im waiting for nf cone out with finer ret.on atacr