• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AX mags in TRG-22 ?

vno.helix

"comfort is the enemy of progress"
Minuteman
May 22, 2011
Los Angeles
www.linkedin.com
Over the years I might have become known here to some of you for my occasional outrageously dumb questions. Since it has been a while I felt compelled to entertain this beautiful community with a fresh one, so here it goes:

Sold my AT and AX and am left with a TRG-22 now being the only rifle in my safe. I dont shoot often anymore and I am ok with this. I absolutely love the TRG for many reasons. Its action is butter smooth, trigger is heavenly and over the years I found that I prefer the looks and feel of a "classic" stock over the modern chassis we all seem to have migrated to. There is one thing however. Put aside the cost factor of the mags, dont really care about that, but Jesus; After having become accustomed and spoiled by the awesome AX double stack mags I am now finding myself fiddling with the shitty designed TRG magazines. Especially now its getting colder and gloves....never mind, they are just shit. My fat stubby fingers are getting torn up and stuck in the fuckers. Anyone used to AI's AX mags knows what I am talking about. So, putting the mags on the table next to each other, size wise they dont differ much. Is there anyone who had their TRG-22 modded to take AX mags? Is it possible at all? It would be worth the investment to me. Any idea's/suggestions (other then sh#t the F#ck up and stop whining)?

Have a great day and as always; thank you all for sharing your infinite wisdom!

IMG_5832.jpeg

Last edited:
@Massoud

Might be able to help you out.

But I think your best option is a W3 chassis with AICS mags but it might work with the double stack mag.

The AW mag won't work unfortunately without major surgery. The AICS mag barely will work and it's marginal.
They didn't make the magwell on the action large enough to be able to use a different mag. Even our TRG chassis uses the original Sako mags. The TRG is a round body action so you'd probably end up cutting the thing near in half by the time you fit an AW/AX mag up in there.

Some of the newer designed AICS mags might work ok like the MDT one that is sort of double stack/single feed. Sorry for the bad news.
Justin

Reactions: mgrs and vno.helix
I hear ya man, I too sold all my AI’s and am left with only my TRG. I truly love the rifle in every way, but the magazine is a bit of a pain. They are tedious to load and the 1st round out of 10 can be tight to push out of the magazine. But I still love the TRG!

Reactions: vno.helix
The AW mag won't work unfortunately without major surgery. The AICS mag barely will work and it's marginal.
They didn't make the magwell on the action large enough to be able to use a different mag. Even our TRG chassis uses the original Sako mags. The TRG is a round body action so you'd probably end up cutting the thing near in half by the time you fit an AW/AX mag up in there.

If you guys cant make it work then that's where it ends and I will just have to accept her for what she is; pretty awesome!

Last edited:
Reactions: lambsey