• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AX338 mount advice ?

ChrisF

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2002
New Zealand
HI GUys,

Whats the mounts available for this that will work with a 34mm S&B PMII 5-25x56mm scope .

Bearing in mind that the rifle can come with a zero , 20 or a 30 moa rail in place from the factory ?

Cheers Chris

Re: AX338 mount advice ?

if you have a flat 0MOA rail you could use a 45 moa scope mount.

if you have a 20 or 30 moa rail you could use a flat 0moa scope mount.

I would choose the cant (or lack of) based on the rail on the gun. Regardless, the AI mount is nice for the money but if you are dropping the coin for the AX I would spend the extra for the Spuhr. I started with an AI mount for my AX but upgraded to the Spuhr and feel it was money well spent.

I am using the AI 45 MOA mount for my SB 5x25 on an AWSM .338, works great. I do have the dovetail receiver, but if you stay with 0 MOA rail the AI 45 MAO mount should work for you.

Chris, you should be able to order the 0moa AI mount directly from Sporting Services for the AX system. You should contact them for part #6936 or #6943 and pricing, that's my recommendation. Best wishes and have a good weekend.

I bought the 20 moa mount from Spuhr for my AX338, same scope. 20moa rail. still zeros @ 100 at the very bottom of my elevation of the S&B

If you wanna get out the most elevation out of your scope my recomendation would be a 20 MOA or 6 mils mount.
That is if the scope are a mil scope, if its a moa scope you gotta stay with the 20-30 moa the gun have as the moa SB5-25 have much less elevation than the mil scopes have.

The double turn SB are made for 45moa or 13 mils mounts.
If you intend to shot at very far it might be a good idea to get that tilt.

Håkan

Spuhr all the way!
wink.gif

I wish , their was more info on the AX series rifles , from the zero , 20 & 30 moa rails to the compatable mounts etc , so people could make more informed decisions when ordering one .

I would thik they would have mounts that would work with the PMII 5-25x scopes , as this would seem to be the ideal choice to use on the 338LMs .

I guess , what I want to do , is what a lot of Civie shooters will want to do as well .

As I cannot buy NV gear to mount on the top rail , I would like to remove it on BOTH the action & the forearm tube , and then use as low a mount as I can with a 5-25x PMII .

So I am woundering IF the rail on the action is Glued down etc ?

Cheers Chris

Chris, understandable and agree 100%. I personally do not care for or need the full length Pic rail on the for end as you mentioned either. It is a true waste and causes more issues than advantages. For the military its understandable to have a in line system for mounting all the gear required, however in the civilian and even LE world there is no real need and in many cases desire to have the full length top rail. Since you mentioned it I will explain that you can remove the top rail on the for end tube very easily and then simply install your S&B 5-25x56 with either the part #3108 (34mm 18moa) or #3436 (34mm 28moa). Look at the pictures of the AX50 posted for appearance example. Or you can remove the entire rail and install the medium length rail as pictured as well. I have done this and recommend it for customers in this situation several times already as well. By removing the top rail you will be able to mount the optics with clearance and if you desire the "Look" with the top rail installed, it can be machined shorter to clear and be in front of the optics only. The Pic rails on the the AX .338 are not epoxied on the receiver or tube. To remove the front rail, you will only need a 4mm to remove. The receiver Pic rail is screwed and has alignment keys only which attach it but there is no need to remove it from the receiver. I would expect the Pic rail setup you have will be a 20moa from front to rear. Hope this helps.

Thanks Stacy , I was hoping the rail on the receiver was not epoxied on .

Yes will have to find out as to the moa cant my rifle has installed .

Cheers Chris

You are welcome and yes you need to verify the MOA on yours, but you might find it marked on the rails as well, check the sides. As covered there are several solutions to get there from the AI to Spuhr mounts. Best wishes and enjoy.