• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Axis hunting S.Texas Spanish Gourd Ranch pics&vid

NOmag

NONE
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2007
earth (the hot part)Dallas, TX
First off thanks to singleshot85 for having down to his place and to juan valdez for helping me on the short drive down!!!!

I have been down hunting with Keith (singleshot85 here) a few times and have been lucky enough to take a very nice black buck a little over a year ago and a great white tail last season as well as MANY great eating white tail doe's to pack the freezer. Every time I am invited down I see many Axis buck ready for the taking but have never been able to put together a hunt until last weekend.

Juan Valdez, his son, and I headed out on Thursday after lunch and arrived at the ranch to meet Keith about 7:00 pm. We decided to do a little running around and checking things out that evening and see what was stirring about. The next morning we got up about 5 and headed out early to get settled early and wait. Very early on we had lots of traffic behind us but had the back of the blind closed so we could not see exactly what was going on so we just stayed still and waited it out. For some reason we had an very imature buck that just loved hanging out within pocket knife range (jaun has dubbed this ninja trowing star range) about 3 feet outside our blind. Luckily the wind was in our face and we did not spook this little shit head but he continued to hand out. In the short version of the video you will not see this but he will appear when the new video goes up.

While we were trying not to spook the little buck a very nice Axis appeared outside the feeder pen and before I could see if this was the buck I decided to chase or not he jumped in. We now had plenty of time to check him out and see what we thought and it did not take long for me to make my decision. After a brief little skirmish with a young buck (mostly playful this buck decided to leave and that was my cue. Unfortunately for me he did no present a great shot angle at first so Keith gave him a little whistle which stopped him but did not turn him so Keith got a little more serious about getting him to turn and then the .300 winmag had it's turn. 30 yards later he was piled up and done. Meat in the freezer and the taxidermist is taking care of the rest.

Again thanks to Keith and the Spanish Gourd Ranch for having me and if you are looking for a great hunt you should really look them up!!!! So on to the pics and video......

Picture on the hoof upper left corner of the pic way in the distance!
84e6a3e7.jpg

SHORT HD video of the last minute or so of the hunt. A longer lower resolution vid will be added soon.

[video:youtube]<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xJJ-OJ3VDyY&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xJJ-OJ3VDyY&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>[/video]

LINK HERE BECAUSE I CANT FIGURE OUT THIS EMBEDDING CRAP!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xJJ-OJ3VDyY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xJJ-OJ3VDyY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

click on the hd and go to 720p for better video

After pics and yes I know it's diet time for me!
aedde0c3.jpg

bf505951.jpg

7365bd29.jpg

Sorry for the long post and thanks for looking!!!!
NOmag

Re: Axis hunting S.Texas Spanish Gourd Ranch pics&vid

Good shooting and beautiful deer NOmag! Looks like you had a helluva time. Hopefully one day I'll be able to hunt a bit in Texas too.

Texas is great. Being able to hunt all kinds of stuff. Nice Axis

nice dude!

Really nice and the best tasting venison there is

WOW. That's the best Axis I've seen in a while! Great job!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom, that is AWESOME!!! Nice work on the Axis with the 300 winy and can!
</div></div>

Shit there was no can, that puppy had a break I had to double up on hearing protection!

Tom did everything right on this hunt. I sent him countless game cam photos and he choose the best buck out there. The hunt was perfect, set the pop up Thursday and collected the spoils Friday morning. Of course I had been scouting and patterning these guys for two months but what the hell that's why I get paid the "big bucks" (pun)!

The biggest challenge is not putting too much pressure on these guys. We are a low fence ranch and I like keeping these beautiful animal right where I know they are "safe".

Congrats again, that's #3 your frequent flier miles are adding up, can't wait to see what you'll pull when you cash them in.

Congratulations to NoMag for a nice Axis,

and thank you SingleShot for running a low fence operation.

Thanks to everyone for all the nice comments guys and Keith runs a great place!!

Jered, you will not be disappointed!!

My Spanish Gourd Ranch BB from last summer
b5f217ba.jpg

And if your ok with it the taxidermy shop in Sabinal is the place to drop off anything you get. He has this axis and did the blackbuck above!

Thanks
NOmag