• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

axmc 338lm pressure signs

Norwegian musher

Private
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2020
Norway
shooting hand loaded 285 eld m's in my 338lm axmc 27" barrell 1:9.35 twist,getting 2800 fps,no pressure signs. but if i shoot hornady factory 285's i get 2870fps and ejectormarks even svipes..
same if i reload to same speed etc (93 grains n570,2870fps)
my friend's sako barrell shoots 2900 fps same lenght barell,but 1:10 twist and gets no pressure signs at all..

not worried about speed,my rifle shoots great but just curious; do the steeper twist in my rifle cause the pressure? same story with other axmc's vs sako' s around here

i dont have a headspace gauge so i strip the bolt and size cases until the bolt closes easy but i cant move the bolt back and forth mutch so i believe i aint got too mutch headspace

I believe the barrel chambers is different between the factory AI and Sako. My buddy gave me few of his 338lm brass fired from his sako M10. I sized it and couldn’t chamber in my AI factory 338lm barrel. I did some measurements and it was the the lower half of the brass swell much more.

Reactions: Norwegian musher
I would keep the 285eld at 2700ish. I did test the 255gr solid with RL26, it gives me 2950ish ES 12 at hot day. Work your load up for safety measures. I do see a velocity swing 30fps +/- with seating depth. I get 30fps less with .070 jump vs kissing the land

Reactions: Norwegian musher