• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AXMC Bolt ejector removal

harry_x1

Khalsa
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Can anyone provide me some guidance on how to remove the ejector on the bolt of my AXMC (338 lapua mag)? The AXMC manual does not carry that detail. I am able to remove the firing pin, but do not know how to remove the ejector... thanks for your time

Harry... I’d like to know as well (but for my AX... I assume the bolt construction is similar)... are you removing the ejector to measure/test for distance to the lands... incrementally seating the bullet deeper?

Reactions: harry_x1
Harry... I’d like to know as well (but for my AX... I assume the bolt construction is similar)... are you removing the ejector to measure/test for distance to the lands... incrementally seating the bullet deeper?

yes Trek. My aim is to be able to measure the distance to lands... hopefully some experienced member is able to share guidance

Reactions: Trek
Perfect... I have my gauge set being built by the folks at the Shooting Shed, but I’m looking to be able to verify. (also, said sheepishly... I’ve put 900 rounds of 308 down range and haven’t stripped/cleaned the bolt/firing pin yet). Thanks for starting this post! ?

There's a roll pin that holds it in place, they don't put it in the manual because it's not recommended to be done at the user level. I would not recommend doing it either, especially since there's easier and better methods to achieving your goal.

1. Buy the Hornady OAL tool and modified case. Easy button, super accurate/easy method. If you load ammo for a precision rifle and DON'T have this tool then you are doing life wrong.

2. You have an AXMC... remove barrel entirely and measure using a fired case and the cleaning rod method.

3. Do the method you're looking to do, but with the barrel out, which is nowhere near as accurate as the two methods above.

Old thread I know, but I do this all the time to find my lands.

I like to have a helper, but I have improvised when no one is around. I use the V block from my model 700 bolt tool set. I clamp the bolt down on that to my work bench with the roll pin straight up. That thing isnt going anywhere. I like to have a second set of hands to hook a brass case on the extractor and push the ejector in to take the force of the spring off the roll pin. Then I carefully punch out the roll pin with the proper punch. Going back in pretty much the reverse except I use a brass punch. No "tracks" left behind.

I do have the hornady tool but stopped using it completely. I prefer doing it by feel with the bolt.

one of the reasons for me getting an AXMC was being able to pull the barrel and being able to measure distance to the lands