• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AXMC buying options question

kujuak

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
In Canada one can't buy an AXMC in 300 NormaMag. You can get AXMC in 308 or 300WinMag or 338Lapua. PERIOD. AI won't allow Canadian wholesaler to sell in 300Norma mag for various and sundry reasons. I have no interest in 338 Lapua ( maybe I should) but find 300 NormaMag tantalizing. Which would be cheaper buying AXMC in 300 WinMag then buying an after market 300Norma Mag barrel /bolt conversion for 300NormaMag ( would need different bolt and ? mag adapter insert), rather than buying AXMC in 338Lapua and then selling 338Lapua barrel ( not likely to be an easy task, very small market up here I suspect for a take-off AI 338 Lapua barrel, could be wrong but..) and then buying a 300Norma Mag barrel. By my understanding there is a $1,000+ difference between the choices, but
I end up with a 338Lapua barrel I'll never use ( considering the expense of buying 338Lapua dies, brass, bullets, that $1,000 savings would get eaten up very quickly).
Finally, Is the AXMC still available in Elite Midnight? I thought I read somewhere that AI discontinued that color, having only one Elite color option, Elite Sand
Never shot a 338Lapua but been on next bench and noise/concussion wave from brake did not give me warm fuzzy feelings about the round.

Oh yeah, proposed rifle purpose: FUN

Thanks!

As far as cost saving go, buying it in 338 is by far the cheapest if 300 norma is your goal, since they both use the same bolt. Bolts are $700 here, I shudder at the thought of what you guys probably pay. There is no mag adapter needed for the Norma as they finction great in the 338 magazine. Here, a 300wm and a 338 Lapua cost exactly the same, are you saying they’re $1k different there? Id also have to imagine that most buyers of the MC are interested in the 338. I don’t know your market like you do, but I’d think it would be pretty easy to move, especially if it’s unfired. Isn’t the PGW Timberworlf .338 Lm furnished to your military? Gotta imagine the 338 is the most populist super-mag there, it certainly is here by a giant majority.

I too prefer the 300 Norma, but with most people’s general usage, it’s dang near identical from a ballistics standpoint. 338 has a little more recoil, and more downrange energy.

Any chance your dealer will sell you a chassis minus barrel?

Can you sell the 338 barrel in the US or is that an itar no no?

Definite ITAR no no.

I figured as much but don't know these things as well as I probably should. Yeah that's a bummer I think the 308 barrel would sell faster than a 300 win barrel but your kinda stuck either way.

I figured as much but don't know these things as well as I probably should. Yeah that's a bummer I think the 308 barrel would sell faster than a 300 win barrel but your kinda stuck either way.

I dont even think you can even send a barrel blank to them.

Hard to say, I’ve hunted in Canada a bunch, and every time I go there I stop in at the gun shops. Shocking how expensive stuff is. If he comes back and says a bolt from AI is $1500+ I won’t bat an eyelash. Last time I was there, I think vortex 2 razors were right around $4k Canadian, to give you an idea. This was in Manitoba.

Here’s a AI vendor in Manitoba.

Looks like 338 and 300 wm are same cost. E60AA4AC-48C3-4396-B7B5-D09EFB29B850.pngE60AA4AC-48C3-4396-B7B5-D09EFB29B850.png

Attachments

• F6C533BC-D0B4-435B-94B5-2C44B3182735.png
    F6C533BC-D0B4-435B-94B5-2C44B3182735.png
    872.6 KB · Views: 60
From a price standpoint, get the .338LM and then just get the barrel, that would be your cheapest route to go with if all you want to do is .300NM
Now if you have any interest in shooting .300 WM then it might be worth getting the one with the .300WM setup and buying both the barrel & the bolt body for the .300NM

One note, is that the .300NM is not exactly a small round, it's going to have a similar noise and blast wave profile to a .338LM
It's essentially a .338NM case (similar to a .338LM) necked down to .30 instead.

One other point to consider is that while all the cool guys are now shooting the .300NM, it won't do anything that a .338LM can't do if you are a reloader and pick your .338LM bullets carefully.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Yeah sucks to be north of the border! I’m in the same situation. AI prefit are about 1200$ for the AIAT.Can’t even get the Competition trigger up here.... for now.

Another thought..I know you wanted 300NM, but AI was involved with the development of the 300PRC, which is a more modern version of the 300WM, and slightly faster too. Same bolt as 300WM. Maybe buy the WM version, sell barrel, get custom 300PRC barrel? Not much difference between PRC and NM out to a mile...

Reactions: kujuak
Now you have my attention! Going to look into 300PRC. I love Lapua brass however and no Lapua 300PRC, sooooo.....?????