• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AXMC in 6.5x55

captdan

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2009
I know at least one other has discussed this, but has anyone mounted a 6.5x55 Swede barrel on an AXMC? I've got an itch to do this. In my research this far it seems the. 308 bolt will work ( after a call to Mile high shooting they indicated that it should). The long action 300 WM mag would be used, and there is an issue with feeding. Not sure if the lips could be adjusted for the round. I'd have to first invest in a 300 Magazine and see if I could make it work. Worst case I'd have an extra magazine.
I know some will say: " what are you gaining by adding a 6.5x55 ability, why not just shoot 6.5prc. ( I have both). All you are doing is filling the gap between the 6.5cm and 6.5prc. that doesn't need filling", and honestly I'd agree with these comments. Still, all in all I think it would make for a really sweet caliber for that platform. Add to that I have a pretty good stable of carrels for the gun already.

So, has anyone been successful in completing such a project? Lessons learned?

Thanks...!

Sounds like a fun project, have you considered an improved version of the 6.5x55 to get a bit more performance and more modern case design with less body taper sharper shoulder and less case stretch and trimming ?
I have a soft spot for the Swede since thats what i started hunting deer and hogs with as a kid.
Im not an AI guru like many on here does AI make a long action with a .473 bolt face ?

Last edited:
Reactions: captdan
It's a great round. I've got an M96, 1919 that shoots 1.2 MOA with open military sights. I think in the AXMC it would be a very capable and easy caliber to shoot well. However, there are pitfalls to the project. I'd hate to get the barrel, have feeding issues and have to buy another bolt to " open up" as some say is required. I can buy a Tikka for $1000 in that same caliber. Decisions decisions.... LOL

Reactions: XLR308
Surprised there arent more rifles chambered in it here in the US.
The one i used as a kid was my dads, it was a Carl Gustov custom with i believe was a 23" barrel and custom high grade walnut stock with ebony forend and grip cap.
To pretty to be beating up toting around in the woods but we hunted out of elevated box blinds.
I am going to follow this post since im curious how it turns out.

Since you are going to be starting from scratch why not just have the chamber cut to be able to use the 308win mags.

Admittedly I know almost nothing about the swede other then it seems to work for the guys I know who shoot it.

The 308win magazine is about 2.985" or so. The COAL on the swede is between 2.95 and 3.1 according to the barnes manual.

My FIL has a Rem classic in 6.5 swede. I guess it's gotta be a long action I'll try and check it out next time I get a chance.

However, I still think you would have better luck having a smith cut your chamber a little short and getting it to feed out of a 308 magazine vs the 300win magazine.

My FIL has a Rem classic in 6.5 swede. I guess it's gotta be a long action I'll try and check it out next time I get a chance.

However, I still think you would have better luck having a smith cut your chamber a little short and getting it to feed out of a 308 magazine vs the 300win magazine.

Not a bad idea, but I'd like to shoot the same reloads in my M96 and the AI AXMC. I'll take a look at see what the longest length would be in the 308 mag. Interesting option, thanks.

Not a bad idea, but I'd like to shoot the same reloads in my M96 and the AI AXMC. I'll take a look at see what the longest length would be in the 308 mag. Interesting option, thanks.
2.95 is about max. Thats either a big handicap or a boatload of jump

I wouldn't want to shoot the same loads from both guns. Completely different. But I can understand why.

A little fact finding: I took my .308 and 300 WM AXMC magazines out today and did a bit measuring with the caliper. The best I can figure is that the 300 Mag at the rear portion of the lips is .7005 ". The .308 in the same location is .6255, or a difference of .075". I was able to slightly adjust the lips to where it will take the 6.5x55 far better, and still work with the 300 WM bullet. Of course there is no idea to how well it feeds unless I invested in all the other parts.

Bolt issues: I removed my bolt and fit tested the 6.5CM and .308, both fit nice and snug with no issues. The 6.5x55 does not, close but will not fit inside the bolt face. I've had gun smiths tell me that the Remington bolt face will indeed function with the 6.5x55, and that perhaps 1 in 10 need to be "opened up". Well, it would seem that my AXMC bolt would need to be "opened up". Looking at the cost and uncertainty I'm going to shelve this idea at least for the time being.

Cost: Barrel. $750, Mag: $145, .308 bolt: $650. Totals: $1545. Tikka T3X IN 6.5X55 $899

Given a Tilkka in 6.5x55 can be had for a song and it will shoot .5 MOA all day long that would seem a more logical choice. I do wish I could locate someone that has done this conversion. You would think given the following of the 6.5x55 in Europe and the AXMC being built in the UK someone would have done this by now.

Thanks gents for the input!

Last edited: